Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near miss with Ryanair 737 800 and Flightline MD-83

• 05-03-2008 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

The Ryanair Boeing 737 and Flightline MD-83 were flying in opposite directions last September 23 rd and came very close to hitting after air traffic control issued conflicting instructions to the two pilots. How come we only hear about this six months later? Were the passengers aware? Was there a visual between the two planes? Apparenty only for automatic collision warning systems it would have been another GOL vs Embraer Legacy case
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0305/breaking33.html?via=me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

i wouldn't say that even the passengers knew about that when it happened! A very serious situation tbh, and one the media are going to exploit. A serious input into the ATC's strike, either that the ATC's can say they were suffering exhaustion, or that the IAA can say they dont deserve what they're asking for... the sunday papers are going to be full of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 irishatco

How come we only hear about this six months later?

Maybe because the correct course of action is to wait for a detailed investigation into the incident to identify the contributory factors and ensure corrective action is taken to reduce the chances of it happening again?

Or would you rather the Oirish Sun ran with a "Terror at 28,000 feet" headline and everyone jumped to conclusions?
    nevf wrote:
    A serious input into the ATC's strike

Perhaps in the world of lazy journalism, from a professional point of view I'd prefer to concentrate on the safety recommendations and the lessons learned from the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It said that it was the worst near miss in 7 years, what was that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

I havent had a chance to read the full report yet but I really hope joe soap and the media dont jump down ATCs throats with this, its a sad coincidence that the report "appears" so soon after the threat of strikes. Terror at 28,000 feet was exactly what i was expecting to see/hear/read but thankfully the media muppets seem to have been more restrained so far anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 irishatco

It said that it was the worst near miss in 7 years, what was that one?

The full list of AAIU reports is available here: http://www.aaiu.ie/aviation/aaiu/reportsevent/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

irishatco wrote: »
    The full list of AAIU reports is available here: http://www.aaiu.ie/aviation/aaiu/reportsevent/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1280
    Cheers, Interesting site. Its good to make all these incident findings public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

I nearly got sick yesterday when I picked up a copy of a tabloid in the pub and seen the photo related to this incident. A Ryanair 737 literally pasted ONTOP of an Md80 and the idiot headline to go with it of something like TERROR blah blah. By looking at it you'd think the tail of one had cut the other in half nearly. I hate the sensationalist idiots in the media, how damaging is an image like that to the industry. The incident happened yes and someone or something is to blame but the safety systems in place worked and they were a full 17 seconds away from hitting, that photo clearly would have stuck in peoples minds and cannot be good for the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The ppruners love journalism like that.

I don't blame them.

Advertisement