Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel shudder - anything other than unbalanced?

Options
  • 05-03-2008 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Recently I have noticed that once I hit 60mph I get a slight shudder coming through my steering column. I guess that would suggest my wheels need balancing BUT...

while investigating it I further noticed that the shudder is only there while I have my foot on the throttle... as soon as I lift off (even though I'm still travelling at the same speed) the shudder stops. That makes me think it might be something other than wheel balance. Any ideas?

I also think it only happens in 5th and 6th gears... but I'm not 100% on that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 waffler

This happened to my own recently and the reason was because the tracking was way off, most tyre centres will fix this small problem for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

Thanks waffler. Did you have the same thing of the shudder going when you lifted off the throttle?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

warped break discs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 waffler

the whole car slightly shuddered but i felt it more on the steering wheel as that would be my closest contact to the wheels, but this was only at 60 mph plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 bat77

Could be balancing or like waffler said, tracking. If you go to get the wheels balanced and it's still the same it can be that the wheels need a secondary axis balance or you may have a bent rim.
    Could be also that you have a caliper depressed against the pad/rotor or ball joint gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sounds like a bent half shaft. Can result from a bad pothole hit.
    Wheel balance will give wobble all the time, drive shaft only under power.
    Warped discs will only wobble when braking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Get yer ball barrings checked.

Ouch, this is starting to sound expensive.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get it looked at properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

loose wheel can give this symptom...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

its wear in your suspension allowing poor tracking to throw up a shudder in the steering.
    If everything was new and your tracking was out, you wouldnt get the shudder but with a slightly loose joint you can get a shudder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

To rule out your own theory, here's a $0 suggestion: rotate your wheels, ie put front on back and vice versa, and see is it still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

If the shudder is only present when you have your foot on the throttle, I would suspect somthing is a miss in the drivetrain, mabey a uni joint or somthing like that.. I can only speculate ;)

Take your car, and have it inspected by a professional. It is their job to diagnose and repair faults :cool:

UPDATE: problem solved.

The tracking was indeed way off, thanks waffler. Unfortunately the tyres were shot as a result, so new set needed. I had been checking the tyres, but with the tracking so far off it was just the inside edge was taking all the loading... pretty dangerous, so glad I took time to check it.

Thanks all.

Advertisement