Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for a cycle

Options
  • 05-03-2008 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I have signed up to do 240km cycle in about 15 weeks time. Haven't cycled in years. I do circut training twice a week (2 X 1 hour) and spinning once a week (35 mins) for the last few weeks. Due to work (dark when I leave) I probably won't get a whole lot of cycling practice in during the week for at least a few weeks, hence I do the above classes. I would plan to go for a spin at weekends (maybe 20k to start?). Any opinions on type/volume of training I am doing? have any amateurs like me done a similar cycle - could they advise training programme they followed? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is the 240km in one day? And what's the terrain like?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

sorry - should have included this - two days - Cork city to Galway city

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In that case I think it's entirely possible. Get out at the weekends and gradually up the amount you cycle. 15 weeks is a long time, so you've plenty of room to build it up. Personally I'd aim for one long spin every week and supplement that with shorter faster ones. So if you go for a long run on Saturday morning, try and get out for a quick spin on Sunday to keep the keep the legs ticking over and get used to being on the bike on back to back days. Once the bright evenings kick in, you can get out during the week as well.

If you haven't cycled in years the first few long spins might feel a bit uncomfortable, but remember that you will become accustomed to being the saddle quite quickly. Good quality shorts go a long way to making a long ride more comfortable. The other thing is to remember to eat while on longer spins. Get a decent breakfast in and nibble away while you're on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

It also depends if you are already fit from another sport.

Make sure you also train with cyclists stronger than you. And get a cycle computer to monitor your progress :)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

Thanks I'll pick up one of those computers in Lidl. Am mainly worried about whether I'll keep up with the group - am a slow runner/jogger so think I'll need to really work on building up strength/speed in legs

• Advertisement
Advertisement