Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum spin for starting back

Options
  • 06-03-2008 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

This is similar to the other thread here ,but I would like to know what would be considered a minimum cycle,for fitness purposes ,to get back cycling again ?

I'd consider myself unfit but strong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

General advice is to start out slowly and then try to build it up gradually. There isn't really any minimum as such - just keep building it up - but I would imagine you would want to be out for around 45 mins at a reasonable exertion to start seeing a benefit. That might get you 12-15km down the road to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

311 wrote: »
    I'd consider myself unfit but strong.

Well ... don't start with hills just yet :)

Get a cycle computer and start with one hour to see how far that takes you, and build it up from there, try and get more KM in that hour and then go out for longer...and so on.

That's how I did back when I started ... I am not trainer though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cycle computer is your friend. Make sure is has auto start/stop. That is, when you stop moving, it stops the timer. This gives you a fairly accurate reading of your time - if you're constantly stopping at lights, you'll never get a decent reading for the time.

Definately get a cycle computer. I found it easier starting off to work on total distance rather than time- just kept trying to up the total distance week on week. This can be a more immediately noticable variable than your actual average speed, although that goes up naturally. Hills came a bit later but I am hooked on them now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks for the advice :) ,I haven't been doing anything like what you guys have suggested.
    Only a measely 6KM:eek:

I will need to pick a route for 12km or so 6 there and 6 back.

Appreciate the replies ,

Later.

• Advertisement

Almost anything is beneficial, just keep trying to steadily build it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i have found that a heart rate monitor is a very useful tool, and it's very rewarding to see actual numerical evidence that you are getting fitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

My 2 cents - I'm just about 6 months ahead of you on this

If possible pick a few routes where you can go a little further - round an extra block - or a little less - turn back a bit earlier - if you feel the going tough. You will not have the same energy and enthusium every evening so it's always useful to have a shorter return route available if it's wet or cold or when you're feeling tired.

I just started with 8-12km (hilly) a night depending on how I felt, moving up to about 15 - 18. Allow for a longer more leisurely spin - perhaps on Sunday - to explore newer routes and get more confidence. Gradually, your "Sunday" spin will become your daily spin and the trips faster and longer

Hills are tough at first - take your time, you will notice a big improvement in 3 months

Happy pedalling!

Advertisement