Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

powerline for phone?

Options
  • 06-03-2008 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Ok, not sure if this is possible, but basically what I'm trying to do is find something that will allow me to pass the phone signal from the one point downstairs (in a really inconvenient spot for any practical use) upstairs without running cabling along or through the walls.

I would then connect it to my router, also connect pcs and a powerline adapter. The powerline adapter here would just be for streaming video to a modified xbox downstairs, from what I've read this should work ok shouldn't it?

So the main question is how do I get the phone signal upstairs in the first place? The only products I've seen that seem to do this are wireless phone jacks, which from reviews I've read are designed more for connecting a sky box or to allow phone calls from other points in the house, not suitable for broadband.

The powerline adapters from what I've read are designed for ethernet use, is there anything similar that can transmit the original phone signal through exisiting power cables without degrading the broadband quality\speed or voice quality?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Why don't you just place a wireless router below? I presume all you are using the phone line is for broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

no, using it for both broadband and voice, main phone will connect upstairs, all the others are cordless. Place where phone point currently is is behind the hall door as it opens, bit of a stupid place for the builders to have put it as can't even just run the cable up through the wall into the attic as you need to try and thread it through the hall ceiling before you reach the side wall!

Lot of hassle hence looking to see if there's an easier and cleaner option ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Wireless phone adapters such as this ONLY pass voice signal, they can't pass DSL signal whatsoever. Your best bet would be to try and place the modem as close as possible to this main phone socket, and then set up your powerline network, router and wireles phone line extension for voice calls from the one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

sorry for the delay in getting back to you Kensington. Yeah thats what I was thinking with the wireless phone. That's a good idea however placing the router at the phone point as well as a powerline and wireless phone extension. Would seem the best option.
    Just waiting to get my phone line back off BT (6 weeks of frustration and counting!). I'll try moving the router then and see if there's a noticable drop off in speed through the powerline connected to the pc, if not I'll set up the wireless phone point there as well.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Note that if you don't want a phone behind the door (!) you can get DECT cordless phone setups where you have a completely separate base station, that is just that, i.e. a base station only with no phone. They're usually designed to mount on walls too, so ideal for your situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement