Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Valves

Options
  • 06-03-2008 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't know much about valves and I'm going to replace the ones in my amp.
    They're EL84's.

I can't find anywhere decent to give me info on them. I've been told you can get military spec valves that take a fair hammering and i've also heard that the valves that come with an amp are usually the cheapest they can get away with and when replacing to change to a better spec.

Thing is, i've **** all idea about what the better spec would be.

Any help much appreciated.

By the way. Is this area the technical area for music questions? This seemed to be the nearest i could find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

EL84 tubes are for the poweramp section of amplifiers, are you sure you dont need some for the preamp? What amp is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I've no idea! it's a laney LC30 II.

I've had it over 2 years now, gigged a fair bit with it, rehearsed with it regular and it's received a fair bit of abuse.

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=LC30-II

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers for the eurotubes link too. Nice to see Ted Nugent keeping himself busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I've a couple of Traynor 20 watt amps.
    I just asked yer EuroTubes man for a recommendation and found him very helpful.

The valves did what he said they would and as far as I remember cost me 70 Euro per amp, pre and power! Not 2 bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Theres a pair of ECC83 (same as 12AX7) valves in the preamp, so you need 6 valves alltogether for a full change. I've had good results with the russian made Electro-Harmonics valves and they arent too deer either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

http://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?id=11&man=104
    Have been meaning to order one of their upgrade kits for ages. You do it first and let me know how it works out!!
    By the way you ever have any problems with your LC30II? Mine is the older one with the HH speaker, and when I play through the 'lo input' for a while it starts cutting in and out. My LC15 does the same. Never on the 'hi input' though. From research it appears to be a dry solder joints issue. Have to get 'em sorted. Still loving these amps even though I recently got a much more expensive Marshall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

boycey wrote: »
    http://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?id=11&man=104
    Have been meaning to order one of their upgrade kits for ages. You do it first and let me know how it works out!!
    By the way you ever have any problems with your LC30II? Mine is the older one with the HH speaker, and when I play through the 'lo input' for a while it starts cutting in and out. My LC15 does the same. Never on the 'hi input' though. From research it appears to be a dry solder joints issue. Have to get 'em sorted. Still loving these amps even though I recently got a much more expensive Marshall.

Yes, it does indeed cut in and out. As far as I remember it is only when I'm using a distortion pedal. I use a DS1 and have the distortion and volume usually on full with the tone between 10 and 11 o'clock. I've brought it into the guitar shop i bought it from, they gave it a look over and replaced the fuse in it and gave me a spare fuse too. But it was still happening afterward. I figure it must be the valves in it and that's why I'm replacing them.

As I've said, I know very little about the valves so it's possible it is a bad joint connection, though I never had any problems with it for at least a year after buying it.

Is there a time limit on valve life? should i replace them after 2 years? I really have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

Well tbh raindog Im sure you know just as much as me!!

Both Laneys are about 3 years old, and both would have started doing the cutting in/out thing after a year/18 months or so. Hi input no problems, always on the lo-input. As far as I know the valves in both are fine with none of the usual symptoms such as microphonic squeals etc. Happens on clean or overdrive channel.
    Valve life generally depends on how often/how hard you play.
    Being a web nerd Ive read up on Laney forums and stuff and dry solder joints seems to be a problem across the whole Laney range. Im bringing the new Marshall to Alladdins amps soon to get a master volume fitted, I think Ill take the LC30 too and get them to give it the once over.
    There are definitely better speakers and valves out there to mod your Laney with, could be a new lease of life for your amp- and another dent in your credit card!!

Advertisement