Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico - pay as u use broadband; any opinions

Options
  • 06-03-2008 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Any views on perlico's new pay as u use broadband? Seems like a very good offer for light users?

Particularly so if also light phone users who don't need a package.
    Any word on eircom doing anything similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Link?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.perlico.com/Bundles/PAYU.aspx

personally it seems abit pointless but I guess somebody might use it and the max charge is 20e so atleast your unlikely to get screwed if somebody downloads alot. Its better then the ****e eircom "time" package eircom offers though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

I just liked the fact that you can get broadband without a calls package, just line rental and the broadband.

If via phoneline is only option for bb so far with bt, eircom,perlico,utv etc you had to take a calls package to get a broadband offer, to me this seems a new alternative ? Attmittedly more attractive to those that don't make very many calls. (for eg my calls would be only circa €3 a month, so don't need a calls package but would like bb at home, mite actually do some work here then :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

O7Pat wrote: »
    I just liked the fact that you can get broadband without a calls package, just line rental and the broadband.

If via phoneline is only option for bb so far with bt, eircom,perlico,utv etc you had to take a calls package to get a broadband offer, to me this seems a new alternative ? Attmittedly more attractive to those that don't make very many calls. (for eg my calls would be only circa €3 a month, so don't need a calls package but would like bb at home, mite actually do some work here then :) )

You don't need a calls package to get broadband from any of the any of those you mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

My apologies, of course you don't.

The point I was trying to make was that if your paying for eg €24.99(eircom) €16.99 (perlico) it often makes sense to take it with a calls bundle as it dosn't cost much more.

Maybe the pay as you go option is only of benifit to a limited number of people who (1) don't make a lot of calls and (2) would like bb, but don't spend much time online.

With perlico it seems the offer is not based on time but rather usage - per mb downloaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I saw an add in the paper during the week that 3 are doing PAYG too now.

http://three.ie/broadband/3pay.htm
    Not sure how good/bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's a ripoff....you'll end up with HUGE bills, trust me. You'd need to monitor to upstream AND downstream constantly to know what you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Not sure about 3 but I checked with Perlico and it's only download usage & the most you can get charged is €20 unless you go over 10gigs.

Basically it's a broadband option for users that currently use dial-up, and want the internet for browsing, e-mailing, YouTubing, etc. It's not meant for your gamers or P2P'ers. Think it's a good idea for the market it's targeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Where as this is not a big pile of shite like eircom's Broadband Time, I don't think it's anything more than a marketing gimmick. The max they allow you is 10GB in a month, fair enough that's the same as the standard 1Mbps cap, the speed you get is 1Mbps and the cost is 1c per Mb (that's megabit, not 1c per megabyte). So, at 1c per 125kbytes, you'll be at the 20euro cap on price at 250Mbytes, which I think you'd go through very quickly even if you're not "downloading". As soon as you connect your PC to the Internet, various software will start auto updating, Windows update kicks in, and so on.

So like I said, not a rip off and not a con, but it's just the standard 1Mbps broadband with the standard 10GB cap at the standard price, just in a way that makes it look cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

jor el wrote: »
    Where as this is not a big pile of shite like eircom's Broadband Time, I don't think it's anything more than a marketing gimmick. The max they allow you is 10GB in a month, fair enough that's the same as the standard 1Mbps cap, the speed you get is 1Mbps and the cost is 1c per Mb (that's megabit, not 1c per megabyte). So, at 1c per 125kbytes, you'll be at the 20euro cap on price at 250Mbytes, which I think you'd go through very quickly even if you're not "downloading". As soon as you connect your PC to the Internet, various software will start auto updating, Windows update kicks in, and so on.

So like I said, not a rip off and not a con, but it's just the standard 1Mbps broadband with the standard 10GB cap at the standard price, just in a way that makes it look cheaper.

You would be correct only its 1c per megabyte(MB) :rolleyes:

Don't think its too bad for light users

• Advertisement

admol wrote: »
    You would be correct only its 1c per megabyte(MB) :rolleyes:

Why the roll eyes? It states, quite clearly on the linked site, that speed is 1Mb (big M little b) and that the charge is 1c per Mb (again, big M, little b) meaning 1megabit. If Perlico don't understand the difference between Byte and bit, then it does little for my already low opinion of them.

Just re-reading it and they're using b to denote Byte all over that page. They're also using Gb for gigabyte. Like I said, does nothing to raise my opinion of them. At these prices then, you hit €20 at 2GB, easily enough done I'd imagine which still makes this a marketing gimmick IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BetsyGray

Has anyone got any opinions on wireless broadband? With my mobile phone I really don't need a landline.

Is the speed and coverage good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

I was thinking of this perlico deal it as a good backup bb connection. I have proper wireless broadband that I use as my main connection and which is great

mobile broadband (i presume thats what you might mean by wireless) is variable in terms of service - there are lots of other discussion in other threads on it that you can check out. I have/do used o2 and voda mobile modems - it can be quite sufficient - however for anything heavy duty - (big downloads/uploads) and/or for something that you need to be reliable (good when it works - fustrating when it doesnt) its not really suitable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

raising a zombie thread, how about no!

Midband for mobile queries, and Perlico don't offer mobile solutions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement