Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks

Options
  • 06-03-2008 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Is it any good? I sort of hate the concept, but to be fair it can be a nice place to chill out, well at least in America it is, perhaps its different here.

They do this class strawberry drink...yummm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Not a fan of the concept either, not a fan of coffee in general though. They've taken over the Blanchardstown Centre now, I think there are four or five of them there.

Loved the joke in Shrek 2 about Starbucks... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cto45fWUdJI

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

their coffee tastes like pi$$ imo, although i could be wrong now,as it was a while ago i had some

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As a wise band once said, "Don't want a job in Starbucks"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love their frappuccinos

but their coffee is muck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Their coffee is absolute muck imo. The have some decent products on the go all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Is it any good? I sort of hate the concept, but to be fair it can be a nice place to chill out, well at least in America it is, perhaps its different here.

They do this class strawberry drink...yummm.

youre talking about the strawberries & cream frappachino! drank them the whole time in the states - had one here when i came back and it was crap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Horrible coffee, which is a shame, as their shops often have a nice layout and comfortable seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

To say Starbucks is the coffee equivalent of McDonalds and Burger King
    would be unfair to McDonalds - seeing as McDs have beaten them in taste
    tests for coffee.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7219458.stm
    Recently coming bottom in an independent UK taste test of the main coffee chains, the US giant has seen its sales fall in its main home market for the second quarter in succession.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/starbucks-is-bottom-of-high-street-coffee-test-773150.html
    Starbucks sells coffee that is poor quality and over-priced, according to a survey of cafés.
    The biggest player in Britain's £900m-a-year coffee shop industry offers blander drinks than its competitors Costa Coffee and Caffè Nero and is costlier than most rivals, testers for the consumer group Which? reported.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=510077&in_page_id=1770
    Further bad news for Starbucks came with a taste test carried out by Giles Hilton, a coffee buyer and taster for the Whittards chain.

He gave it a score of 1.5 out of 5, well behind Caffe Nero's score of four and Costa's three. Mr Hilton said most of the coffee on test was too weak.
    Starbucks sells a large white chocolate mocha whole milk whip that adds up to 628 calories - nearly a third of the recommended daily amount for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

When you get just coffee it sucks ass. But they manage to cover up with these complicated double-whippy-vanilla-foam-white-mocha-latte-soy-mocha-whippy-mcflurry-espresso-latte drinks (okay slightly exaggerated :D). After all this stuff has been added it tastes nice but you barely even taste the coffee :confused::confused: I want to hate them but they're so nice!! They give me CDs and free coffee and learn my order in like 2 visits! ARRRGGHH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Stupidly expensive and bad coffee. Nice almond croissants though.

Some of their stores are nice to sit in (e.g. the one by Harcourt Luas)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

their branches are grand to sit, relax and have chat with mates and that's about it. you'd get nicer coffee from me if i set up a stall outside one of their braches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I don't normally drink coffee, but, their, Caramel Macchiatos are really nice and I normally get at least one venti sized one when I go into town (usually Saturday and Sunday)

They also have a really nice caramel shortbread

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Since the demise of the large coffee shops in dub (well bewleys and winding stair) Starbucks fills a gap in the market. A comfortable place to lounge with a coffee. They simply don't exist anymore. the coffee...meh...much of a muchness. Macdonalds if being honest probably does the nicest coffe, isn't that either a sad inditement of the city? or a sign of corporate progressiveness? Dunkin donuts is badly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I often go in for a hot chocolate and a brownie.. Their hot chocolate is yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

humberklog wrote: »
    Dunkin donuts is badly missed.
    It is indeed. Is there any sign of it ever coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Curse ye Dubliners with your numerous starbucks! :P
    Dunkin' Donuts! How I miss it!
    Was in Dubai a few weeks ago and loaded up on them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Curse ye Dubliners with your numerous starbucks! :P
    honestly it's dreadful. Except for rocky roads (and their extortionate price)it's a case of forget about it. Been using insomnia lately and that's surprisingly awful. No, I don't want a latte instead of the white coffee I ordered for 50c extra. Why did you even ask:(

That said am sick of cafe sol sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

love their frappucinos but wouldn't touch their coffee.

nice place to go a relax whilst waiting to meet someone or to relax and have a chat with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Its awful coffee and only have one when really desperate....need a double shot to make it half decent.

They have almond croissants?:eek: Good thing my gym is next door to Starbucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

ozchick wrote: »
    They have almond croissants?:eek: Good thing my gym is next door to Starbucks!

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/56999.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

what annoys me is they dont have all the stuff they sell in there american branches-they did a lemonade iced tea thing in the states when i was there last summer-yummy! and i wish dunkin donuts was still here.anyone who had a lemonade or strawberry coolata when its 40 degrees in boston will now what i mean-heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Caramel creme frappacino... ny0m. Too expensive though.

Friend of mine from Australia worked in a Starbucks in Melbourne while he was saving to go to London. His manager sorted out a job in a Starbucks in London for him. Same thing happened when he decided to head to Canada. While he hated the work he was happy to be guaranteed a job on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'm glad Dunkin Donuts isn't open here, otherwise I would be morbedley obese. Worked in New York for the summer, and there was a DD's across form work and one around the corner from our gaf. Lets just say a half dozen isn't for sharing once you get hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

New Starbucks opening in Ranalagh :) Yippee!!! Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭robo

Saw that today in Ranelagh - looks impressive. But does Ranelagh need another coffee shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

robo wrote: »
    Saw that today in Ranelagh - looks impressive. But does Ranelagh need another coffee shop?

Definatly. As far as I can see there is only one good coffee shop in Ranalagh - Coffee Society. Actually I think it's the only proper coffee shop thats not either a restaurant or a shop etc. I'm suprised Starbucks didn't come earlier to Ranalagh, with all the heads I see round Ranalagh, there's a lot of them that would suit Starbucks down to the ground :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I dunno what it is, but whenever I go into the one on dame st., they seem to ever so slightly burn the milk. always to the same amount. It irritates me, after how much crap an old boss used to give me to make sure I didn't do just that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've found the most consistantly acceptable coffee available in Dublin to be from those machines in petrol stations and the odd londis. Cafe sol is yuk and at €275 for an americano vastly over priced,reminds me of the muck that bewleys used to serve,more like soup than coffee. I've only had two coffee's from starbucks,can't remember if they were nice although I probably would remember if they were. I prefare coffee from a pot anyway,although less and less places seem to brew anymore,they just use those expresso contraptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What about Insomnia?

• Advertisement
Advertisement