Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoos school

Options
  • 06-03-2008 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hello everyone...if anyone no if any school or course to learn how to do tattoos in dublin...pls can u tell me where can i enrolle i realy love to learn to do it...u can contact me in my emailladd la121981@yahoo.com

thnxxxxxxxxxx...........:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

theres no such thing. best route is art college, get your drawing and creative skills going then look for an apprenticeship in a studio somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Do your own research it'll help you learn about the industry. Find out about different styles of tattooing, put together a portfolio (do an art course/go to art college if possible), Visit every studio you can find, look at tattoo artists work, watch carefully when your getting tattooed and build up a relationship with your tattoo artist. There are "schools" out there for tattooing but nothing beats a shop apprenticeship and most people in the industry probably won't respect you without one.

xtruthx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

there are 'schools'? lol learn something every day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

Tattoo and piercing 'schools' are sinful. They take your money, give you "all you need to practice body modification", which generally has no mention of an autoclave, get you to practice on paying volunteers ("at a discount" - wow, how nice of you! People can pay a little less than a professional would charge to get inked/pierced by someone who might never have done it ONCE before!) and then send you on your way after two or three days with a certificate that isn't worth the paper it's printed on!

From www.tattoo-school.com :

"Q. Do I receive any equipment with this course?

A. Yes, and enough to start your business with and earn income right away - approximately $3,0000! Your tuition includes: Clamps, Opener and Closers, a variety of jewelry, needles, and corks."

That doesn't sound like it should cost three (or possibly thirty, what a suspicious typo...) grand's worth of equipment, unless they're giving you hundreds of the damn things, cos you've got no autoclave to sterilize them!

"Q. Is three days enough time for me to learn this craft?

A. Twenty-four hours is sufficient time for someone to learn this trade AND be proficient in it. Primarily because our instructor uses the neuro-linguistic programming teaching method - a state of the art power training method that applies teaching with hands-on experience."

"Q. Will I perform any procedures during the class?

A. Yes you will. We have an extensive list of clients who are fully aware of your status and pay a reduced rate for their procedures. We wish for you to perform a minimum of four(4) piercings while training."

So after doing four tattoos or piercings, this 'school' deems people ready to begin to tattoo professionally, all because they've done some hypnosis, sorry, "neuro-linguistic power-training" on them. Sounds like a good plan...

They also do a permanent make-up course, so the entire school sounds like it's training beauty salon piercers. Which is just a horrible idea.

...ahem... sorry... pet peeve...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

no tattoo school or college or training in ireland.I agree with the artistic side of the good artist but surley they need training to tattoo as theres allsorts of things to know.eg tattoo guns,needles,electric transformers,colours,outlinging and shading,how deep to tattoo,styles of tattoos,hygine and cleaning,solutions,and lots more.i wouldnt like to be tattooed by someone like "Im a good artist but no skills of tattooing"?So i think there should be tattoo apprentiships avialable do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That's how people learn tattooing generally Davey180, through apprenticeships. They are however hard to come by, as there are obviously very limited positions.

That's how people learn tattooing generally Davey180, through apprenticeships. They are however hard to come by, as there are obviously very limited positions.
    are they any tattooist willing to take on apprentships in ireland even without their artwork,like starting without art skills and learn from scratch?

I doubt it given how limited apprenticeship spaces are, and how many people want the apprenticeships, who are very talented artists in their own right.

A. Twenty-four hours is sufficient time for someone to learn this trade AND be proficient in it. Primarily because our instructor uses the neuro-linguistic programming teaching method - a state of the art power training method that applies teaching with hands-on experience

Is ths for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yes. but no..

mostly no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Babypanda

Im an art student and am at the end of my year and love tattoos and piercings , and would love to get an apprenticeship in it but cant find one any where, i was told the best place to look would be in Dublin or London.

Anyone got any clues on what would be the best way to start my own portfolio on tattoos and what sort of designs??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 samtastic

Babypanda wrote: »

Anyone got any clues on what would be the best way to start my own portfolio on tattoos and what sort of designs??:confused:

Draw anything and everything you can, and draw the same things over and over again until you can draw them perfectly..that might not be right just my opinion :p

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭deadramones

If you have a particular style you like you should maybe focus on that. Maybe putting together flash sheets, full pieces and a small sketchbook of your rough work and ideas might be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 finnagen

Hi all i have some art work made up over a few year's ,could i go too my Tattoo shop and ask to sit in and help for FREE and get Certificate that way ?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

finnagen wrote: »
    Hi all i have some art work made up over a few year's ,could i go too my Tattoo shop and ask to sit in and help for FREE and get Certificate that way ?

:confused:
    you'd be doing it for free anyway.

No shop will take on a part time apprentice.

Ireland has no tattoo regulations as a result no certifications.

you'd be doing it for free anyway.

No shop will take on a part time apprentice.

Ireland has no tattoo regulations as a result no certifications.

Thank's for reply ,so how do i get Accredited Certification :confused: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Thank's for reply ,so how do i get Accredited Certification :confused: .
    There is none in Ireland. If you want a cert you'll have to go to the uk and be full time.

There's is no accreditied certifacation since there it no governing body!

There is none in Ireland. If you want a cert you'll have to go to the uk and be full time.

There's is no accreditied certifacation since there it no governing body!

Well that's a joke for a country that has history of Tattoo's not to promote it, what about Eastern europe certification pmsl wander how that work's , if they can just come set up Tattoo shop , thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

You dont need any certification to set up a tattoo studio in ireland. I can get a shop and start tattooing tomorrow if I had the inclination and the cash. The only requirements you have to comply with (to the best of my knowledge) are health and safety and infectious disease legislation (that is to say safe disposal of medical and hazerdous waste such as all the tissues covered in blood / ink / tears).

That is mad i have the inclanation to do this ,i am going to see office next week and see about Hygiene Cert ;) .

Thank's again man will keep ye posted , anymore advice would be appreciated .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

The Artist wrote: »
    A. Twenty-four hours is sufficient time for someone to learn this trade AND be proficient in it. Primarily because our instructor uses the neuro-linguistic programming teaching method - a state of the art power training method that applies teaching with hands-on experience

Is this for real?
    Yes. Now if you PM me your bank details, home address and mother's maiden name you too can learn to tattoo in 24 hours! 100% guaranteed or your money back!!!*

*Not a guarantee. No funds will be returned.

Yes i seen that i would rather get hand's on experience .

Yes. Now if you PM me your bank details, home address and mother's maiden name you too can learn to tattoo in 24 hours! 100% guaranteed or your money back!!!*

*Not a guarantee. No funds will be returned.

... Why quote/bring up a post from two and a half years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Well that's a joke for a country that has history of Tattoo's not to promote it, what about Eastern europe certification pmsl wander how that work's , if they can just come set up Tattoo shop , thanks .

what?

i don't see how this country has any more of "a history of tattoos" that pretty much every other country. Why would Ireland as a country need to promote tattoos? Of course I think it should be regulated, but promoted?

Advertisement