Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

06 Astra Sportshatch v Astra 5dr v 05 Mondeo??

Options
  • 06-03-2008 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Ok....I've been thinking of changing my current car (03 Astra 1.4 Njoy 5dr) for a while now. I've driven a Mondeo on occassion and like the way they handle and hold the road...seems much more stable (due to size I suppose) compared to my Astra.

I have a budget of c.€15,000 and am considering the following -

2005 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec Hatchback
    2006 Astra 5dr SXi
    2006 Astra 3dr SXi

I bought a new 3dr Honda Civic back in 1997 (sold in 2005 and bought the Astra). I said at the time that I would not buy a 3dr car again....however I think the Astra 3dr looks great from all angles!
    Though having said that I could probably source a 5dr Astra for less money than a 3dr ....though the Mondeo does seem a better drive?!
    Decisions decisions??!

Any advice / opinions on above choices?
    Being a (youthfull looking!;)) thirtysomething...would the 3dr Astra be ok 4 me? :D

(NB - There's no point in anybody suggesting older cars like 01/02 BMW 3 series, Audi A4s etc. I've already looked at those options and rejected them outright. I want an up-to-date car with low mileage).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Yeah go for the 3dr Sport Hatch, best looking car in a long while IMO.
    5dr cars are more practical, but unless you plan to start a taxi service how practical do you need to be!

Also from a selling point of view years down the line, my spider scenes tell me the Sport Hatch will be worth/more sought after, more than the 5dr Astra or Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

GF is buying the Hatch but she really wanted to the Sportshatch. But after driving the SH she didnt like the fact that visibility are at the rear and blinds spots is very poor, especially with the rear head rests getting in the way of the little rear window. But its a coupe style car not much rear window in any of them.

So shes getting the 05 5dr SXI 1.7 CDTI with 40k miles from a Vauxhall dealer with the same budget as yours including the VRT cost.

Advertisement