Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance - Two for the price of one?

Options
  • 06-03-2008 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

With an M3 possibly on the horizon, I have been considering keeping the car I have at the moment... or even buying a raggedy old diesel to do the mileage for work. (I am currently not doing much, but type of work where that could change)

I know, with my Motorbike, I can add a second bike to my insurance for as little as €20. This is due to the absolutely obvious case that you can not be driving both your bikes at the same time. (Why this doesn't apply across a car and a bike I'll never understand)
    Anyway, just wondering what the situation is with cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Admiral has MultiCar in the UK. Maybe they do Ireland too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not a hope here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

AXA were doing free bike cover with your car insurance at one stage, i'd say check with them and see if its still an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Buy an old carvan or a commercial. Its easy to get commercial insurance and cover for your weekend car, especially if you are self employed or a tradesman.

Also save on the tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

craichoe wrote: »
    AXA were doing free bike cover with your car insurance at one stage, i'd say check with them and see if its still an option.

hmmm, Never heard of that. AXA don't even insure Bikes on there own. I'll have to check it.

• Advertisement

Ferris wrote: »
    Buy an old carvan or a commercial. Its easy to get commercial insurance and cover for your weekend car, especially if you are self employed or a tradesman.

Also save on the tax!

not self employed I'm afraid. A commercial van might be an idea though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Go to Hibernian.
    Swap your current car for your M3.
    Get a wee Golf or Astra van, and Hibernian will mirror the full bonus on the car policy.

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Go to Hibernian.
    Swap your current car for your M3.
    Get a wee Golf or Astra van, and Hibernian will mirror the full bonus on the car policy.

Actually just thought of something... slightly off topic, but hopefully someone could answer.
    I'm currently putting a Claim in with my insurance company (small tip). I had a No Claims Bonus protection, so should be okay..... but a friend told me earlier that the protection only applies to the insurance company in question... i.e. I can no NOT move companies without losing my No Claims Bonus.
    Anyone know if this is true?

Your friend would be correct.
    Any new company doesn't want to know what no claims bonus you have, the want to know how many years claims free driving you have.

However, depending on circumstances, amount of claim, some Insurers have a threshold that provided your claim wasn't over x amount that would be ok.

I'd say Allianz would be your best bet.

Your friend would be correct.
    Any new company doesn't want to know what no claims bonus you have, the want to know how many years claims free driving you have.

oh that sucks donkey balls

I better check what the quote on the M3 is with my current company.

• Advertisement

LOL its hard to give you a defo answer, cos the insurance industry is all a bit wishy washy at the moment, and it all depends on individual circumstances.

The only thing I would say is (in insurance terms) an M3 is rated the same as Apollo 11.

Who are you with at the moment?

Who are you with at the moment?

AIG
    I thought it was AXA (I use a broker) until I went to make a claim. Also didn't even know I had No Claims protection, seemingly AIG have it in as standard.

The only thing I would say is (in insurance terms) an M3 is rated the same as Apollo 11.

Lol, well, I can get a quote of 1180 for fully comp on the website 123.ie. But that is assuming my 5 years No Claims Bonus.
    When I remove that the price almost doubles, and the excess cost doubles too.

In a case like this, its always good to be with a broker (I suppose I would say that, because I am one).

We don't deal with AIG at all tbh, so I have become totally unqualified to help!!!!!...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I had to get a separate policy for my second car with quinn direct. FBD don't have a clue. I asked for a quote. They asked what I wanted a second car for. I hung up.

Advertisement