Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuppin' blisters!

• 06-03-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi, I've been training for the Connemarathon using the Hal Higdon novice 1 program the last few months. I've got a good pair of Brooks runners(3 months old), I got in the US, and have decent Asics sports socks. Everything is going well, no injuries and I realistically hope to do it in 3:45-4:00 hours(its my first one!).. Anyhoo back to the topic, I keep getting recurring blisters on the ball of my right foot. None at all on my left. Yesterday after a quick 5 miler my right foot was a little sore but gradually progressed to wincing pain by 8PM last night. I think its blisters forming under the dead hard skin on the foot. I lanced it and then cleaned with hot salt water and alcohol.

Anyway, its better today although I dont think I should be going for my scheduled 9 mile. Any tips on hardening feet or is there any preventative measures I could try?

Cheers

Cormac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Have you tried changing your shoes and/or socks? Just because you're wearing a recognised (expensive?) brand doesn't mean they are right for you.

Oh and good work on keeping the blisters infection free from the person who can't walk as a result of an infection through a blister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Wearing double socks (e.g. 1000 mile type of socks) did made a big improvement on the blistering front for me. My feet are pretty much blister free now. Pick up only a tiny blister around a toe nail during Dublin Marathon.

Stating the obvious, are your shoes the right size?

Also, are they the right shoe for you?

A while back, i tried some Nike Air Max type of shoe and there gave me the worse blisters i have ever got. Also, got a pair of Sauccony shoes (fitted), did not give me blisters as such but aches in the feet.

Also, did you try to lace the shoes differently? see here for type of lacing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

its always a sneaky crease in a sock that does it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Hi, thanks for the replies. Yeah the shoes are fine. The right size, got great advice in the US when I was there. I've tried lots of types over the years, ASICS/Nike/Brooks and been playing different sports, squash/indoor soccer etc but always just get the blister in the same place on the right foot.

I'm gonna try 2 pairs of my ASICS socks now to give more protection and just bought some blister cream to prevent chafing. We'll see how it goes. I'll try that lacing thing too.

Thanks again

Cormac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭crubean

i have the same problem with blisters.After you lance and clean them you have to keep the covered in a bandage for a couple of days,I was able to still train even the day after i got my blisters.Lidl have a running sock in shops at the moment for €3.99 ,cheap and cheerfull but they help.Boots do a large waterproof bandage thats great leave on all day then go training and take off in the shower after.
    In my day we used to use cyclist socks they were very easy on the feet.
    I hope some little bit helps you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭crubean

on hardening your feet,I know it doesn't sound right what i used to do was not wear any socks during the day and build my feets resistance,Or do what they done in the trenches urinate into their helments and bathe yuor feet in it, I know it doesn't sound nice but blisters are a lot sorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Thank God I don't have a helmet so I can't try that!

I've been lucky with blisters but a lot of people swear by Compeed blister plasters. I got some free in a goodie bag once and they seem fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

First pair of socks cover the sole with Vaseline , a second pair over them. A mate used to do it playing footie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

zeppe wrote: »
    I'm gonna try 2 pairs of my ASICS socks now to give more protection

I think by 'double socks' 911cc may have meant double layered socks, ie the 1000mile socks that have a double layer at the heel and the toe box/ball of foot, but they're still really thin. I always wear tham for racing, but get the cheaper version from Marks and Spencers for training - just called 'blister-block' socks in M&S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

crubean wrote: »
    on hardening your feet,I know it doesn't sound right what i used to do was not wear any socks during the day and build my feets resistance,Or do what they done in the trenches urinate into their helments and bathe yuor feet in it, I know it doesn't sound nice but blisters are a lot sorer.

An interestion option, compeed plasters are great once you get one. Another option to toughen the skin is to rub methylated spirits on you feet over a period of time it does the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Hi, ran 21 miles today and had no blisters or any problems except for being knackered:) Been hardening my skin with meths and leaving my feet air out a lot more. I also gaffa-taped some soft tissue over the ball of my foot for padding and wore two pairs of ASICS nimbus socks too.I gaffatape my nipples with soft tissue and vaseline too, dont laugh..it works! It sure hurts takin it off though. Also put some vaseline on and around my toes and all was good. Thanks for all the help..

Cormac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Glad to hear you found a fix for your blisters...

Considering all the stuff you had to do to prevent blistering, i would really question if your shoes are really the right one for your feet, for your running gait and if these are really the right size.
    I think you may want to check this out BUT not before the connemarathon as it is too late to change your shoes. The cut-off date for selecting shoes is about 8/10weeks before the race.

Best of luck for the 06th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

zeppe wrote: »
    I gaffatape my nipples with soft tissue and vaseline too,

hi cormac i find a tight base layer stops any rubbing or chaffing of the whole nipple reigon ,i had a couple of bad experiances until i started wearing an underarmour top which i find great no rubbing and wicks away the sweat keeps me fairly snugg and dry and weighs hardily anything

oh and alfie hales in waterford sell anti blister socks and thats not too far from you

Advertisement