Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymun Regeneration to cost double

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I live near Ballymun too, and I agree it's not improved very much at all. Like a previous poster said, the mindset of the scumbag element is still there and some of the new houses built for the occupants of the old flats are in a terrible state now.

Mind you, I'd rather be dead than live in Tyrellstown, Ongar, etc.

All the crappiness of a soulless, over-populated kip with a huge commute to boot!!

What a bargain! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

merrionsq wrote: »
    What next! Makes you wonder what the point of it all is now. it will have been a shocking waste of money.

Every major public project in this City goes over budget.
    Even when it finally gets completed it does not solve the initial problem.

Are there less traffic on our roads because of the Luas?
    Are there less people in Dublin because of decentralisation?
    Are there more tourists now visting O'Connell St to marvel at the Spire?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ten years from now we'll be having another brown paper bag enquiry into what went on with the ballymun regeneration project.

The thing about areas like that is that the people who live there have very little control over their environment as they're subject to the crackpot whims of every social scientist and progressive planner who doesnt have to deal with the results of whatever crackpot planning theories that they decide to play with at the time.

As for the "people", the place was used as dumping ground for nearly every scumbag and ****eheel in this city right through the 80's what do you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

the new apartments are built to VERY high SPECS, ALL are at least 2 bedrooms, WITH VERY HIGH SPEC IN REGARD TO HEAT INSULATION ,sound insulation ,high spec re door locks,fittings,and each flat has 2 highly secure doors,technically speaking they are better than most of the so called ,private apartments ,eg theres space 4 four washing machines or 3 dryers ,in a single persons flat .some hallways are 25ft ,high,everyone has their own front door,obviously they are high density, houses are very close to each other.Green SPACES between old estates are being built on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

gamer wrote: »
    the new apartments are built to VERY high SPECS, ALL are at least 2 bedrooms, WITH VERY HIGH SPEC IN REGARD TO HEAT INSULATION ,sound insulation ,high spec re door locks,fittings,and each flat has 2 highly secure doors,technically speaking they are better than most of the so called ,private apartments ,eg theres space 4 four washing machines or 3 dryers ,in a single persons flat .some hallways are 25ft ,high,everyone has their own front door,obviously they are high density, houses are very close to each other.Green SPACES between old estates are being built on.

The irony is that the same was said about the old apartments when they were built.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

The old apartments WERE built to a very high spec, ask anyone who has lived there.

Clink wrote: »
    The old apartments WERE built to a very high spec, ask anyone who has lived there.

Absolutely, no-one has ever disputed that. Build spec had nothing to do with the problems Ballymun had then. Saying it has good built spec now doesn't make any difference if the cladding is poor (which it appears to be), the maintenance is non-existent and the people living there don't take care of the place.

Asbestos is high spec? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

It was at the time. From a purely materials point of view its an incredible flame retardent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jen20619

How can anyone in there right mind say ballymun doesnt look better .Its come on so much and is looking better than ever.I do believe however there is alot of resentment here on this posting due to people of ballymun been housed in nice cosy homes from flats.I think credit should be giving where credit due.Its looking brill.

• Advertisement

I can only assume you don't live near Ballymun? The exterior might have been an improvement when it was built but it' aging badly already. Most of the shop units are lying empty, the shopping centre redevelopment never happened, the insides of several of the blocks are badly damaged, antisocial behaviour is rife and participation at 3rd level education is still far below national levels.

The government thought that putting a pretty fascade on all the problems would make them go away. They didn't bother to address the problems that gave it the reputation it had and funnily enough they haven't gone away.

oddly enough thats what happened originally in ballymun, it was only half built as the politicians didnt want to know once the funds and publicity dried up. The regeneration is largely a con though, just public land grabbed at knockdown prices by private developers, they'l be looking up trees in north dublin for brown evelopes again soon.

only they ripped up all the trees :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i read in a paper ,the corpo is negotiating with the owner of the shopping centre,so most units are empty ,they cant be rented out,at some point it will be renovated,its more a legal delay than a shortgage of money ,problem.EVEN if the corpo gave everyone in dublin a brand new apartment,there would still be problems.a certain percentage of young people are involved in drugs,crime ,anti social behavior ,did anyone really think those problems would disappear over night.BUT for familys who used to live in a 14 storey tower block,its a great improvement to have your own house.THERES still alot of 4 storey flats left ,its not like everyone got a new apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jen20619 wrote: »
    How can anyone in there right mind say ballymun doesnt look better .Its come on so much and is looking better than ever.I do believe however there is alot of resentment here on this posting due to people of ballymun been housed in nice cosy homes from flats.I think credit should be giving where credit due.Its looking brill.

Let me see. I'm guessing you got a bus through Ballymun once, in the dark & after a few drinks?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Mairt wrote: »
    Let me see, you got a bus through Ballymun once, in the dark & after a few drinks?.

Must be the guy I recently woke up on the Nitelink after driver asked me to. Asked him where he was going? Next stop. Had to wake him up again. Where are you heading? "celbridge"... eh!!:pac:

Most of the new Ballymun will be torn down again in 10 years, one of the builders there is known as the worst in Ireland. Structural cracks already appearing in his work.

As for those who think the new apartments are high spec, eh, no: http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2008/01/06/story29390.asp
    In particular, they state that the estate common areas, the internal common areas, the car parks and gardens have become run-down, dirty, foul-smelling and contaminated by refuse, drug addicts’ paraphernalia and excrement; accessible to trespassers at will; unsupervised by any appropriate security personnel; and devoid of a proper system of fire escapes.

The counterclaim stated that, ‘‘far from being a high-class residential development, the estate has become unsafe and run-down and barely livable for the tenants, with a resulting diminution in the value of the apartments and a reduction in their letting value’’.

It continued: ‘‘The entire estate has become a development in rapid and serious decline towards slum status. There is no proper system of security for the tenants to protect them from trespass and crime.

‘‘The common areas have become unsafe and dilapidated. The underground garage is open for criminal purposes to casual trespassers, involving the burning of stolen vehicles and risk of damage to the tenants’ vehicles.”

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

For anyone that hasn't been to Ballymun and would like to see what some of the new apartments and houses look like.

Click here to have a look.

A picture can tell a story. it can also lie.

Rashers wrote: »
    For anyone that hasn't been to Ballymun and would like to see what some of the new apartments and houses look like.

Click LA-LA-LAND to have a look.

A picture can tell a story. it can also lie.

Corrected that for you.

That site is a million miles from the truth of what the regeneration of Ballymun is.

Some people have made very serious error's out there.

Whatever problems Ballymun once had has multiplied many times over, and you can't in all honesty deny that.

That was the promise.

The outcome is not quite as promised.... so far.

Rashers wrote: »
    That was the promise.

The outcome is not quite as promised.... so far.

The future is bright!.

Mairt wrote: »

That's just Halloween in Ballymun. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement