Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for advice on true HD 5.1 system

• 06-03-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hello, dont know much about pricing on these things but in the market for a 5.1 system with support for true hd audio and the a/v receiver that supports 1080p feed. (like say 3 hdmi/component ins, one out to tv)

Current set up is creative gd580 system and it's in desperate need of upgrading!

Budget is under 500.

Any thoughts or do I need more cash?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Any thoughts or do I need more cash?

for starters, you don't need to decode DDHD/DTSMA in the reciever, you can let the player decode the 7.1 bitstreams and push 7.1 LPCM streams of data to the reciever using HDMI.

This is possible using HDMI 1.3a.

Recievers capable of decoding HD audio include the Onkyo 605 which is probably the cheapest at >€500.

However, you might also ask yourself, if you will be able to hear the difference between HD audio and standard Digital audio, on a system with a budget of €500.

Two speakers capable of accurately reproducing the entire spectrum of two channel audio at HD audio bit rates would probably cost >€1000 a pair.

HD audio LPCM enabled decoders include the NAD Txx5 series, and the Audiolab 8000 processor, costing in the region of £1000, but these are nice high(ish) end stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

However, you might also ask yourself, if you will be able to hear the difference between HD audio and standard Digital audio, on a system with a budget of €500.

Easily , even on budget Sony all in one packages capable of taking 24bit/96khz direct analog feed from SACD or DVD audio ( even some DVD soundtracks) show very marked improvements in sound quality, not subjective at all , so even on a budget pair of speakers you will definitely notice the difference ,

In the case of surround , an Onkyo matched with a budget package such as Mordaunts or Kefs show a very marked difference in quality if you compare two music titles , one with standard DD5.1 and the other on blu ray say with a HD soundtrack , DTS HD or Dolby True HD is a huge step up from your typical compressed and downsampled 5.1 dolby digital.
    Two speakers capable of accurately reproducing the entire spectrum of two channel audio at HD audio bit rates would probably cost >€1000 a pair.

It has long been argued that standard CD sampling rates did not capture enough detail at the sampling rates used , the higher sampling rates of HD audio lend more detail to the recording , this is easily noticed on even a budget pair of speakers. So theres no need to spend 1K plus on speakers thinking you wont hear it if you dont , you most definitely will , better speakers are always nice , but a big spend is not necessary to appreciate the upgrade in sound quality that HD audio brings to the table.

mathias wrote: »
    It has long been argued that standard CD sampling rates did not capture enough detail at the sampling rates used , the higher sampling rates of HD audio lend more detail to the recording , this is easily noticed on even a budget pair of speakers.

That is why so much is being spent on phono stages and preamps?

Indeed ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Already have speakers mounted on walls. Creative ones from my current system. There even wired through the ceiling to remove cabling. :o

TBH I want a true hd system, but the main use will be to run multiple (I alot of stuff and cannot connect all to tv at same time) audio and video signals through the amp to the tv. ps2,wi,dvd recorder, and pc audio, ps3, xbox360 etc....

Would the model you mentioned allow me to use my current speakers for the time being? They use phono connectors to attach to my current decoder/amp dealie.

EDIT

Had a look at that onkyo 605 system, looks fantastic. Assuming it will take my speakers and sub for the moment wheres the best place to buy? Whats the story with my sub too should it work?

• Advertisement

I can't see why it wouldn't. You can probably set the speaker size to "small" in the amp so it doesn't blow them up.

In the spec sheets the Onkyo is listed as 140W per channel , however fully driven ( thats all channels being used ) its 90W per channel , it will take speakers between 4-16 ohm impedence using a selector switch.

You have to get the specs of the Creative speakers and see if they are in that range. If they are , your good to go. Keep in mind that with amps like the Onkyo , the Voume control is highly unlikely to be used at more than 9 o clock position due to how loud it is , so the 90W figure is a max figure that you'll probably never try.

What about my sub? does that come into play? Do I even need one? will 5 speakers + onkyo 605 give me 5.1 and true hd sound? so assuming my speakers are within that range they will connect up no probs? Heres a link to my current speakers.

Thanks alot.

http://in.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=789&product=9137&listby=usage

Ah , right , those speakers are only rated at 6W rms , the onkyo is rated at 90W , in short , it is way too powerful for those speakers , I wouldnt recommend trying it , you could easily destroy them with just a slight tweak of the volume knob on the onkyo ....

At any rate , by the look of it , those speakers are active , is that its own little amp there ? I think they are meant as a basic setup for say a DVD with optical out or a PC , they are no match for the Onkyo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

I got got A 106" Panoview DE-9106EGS for 400GBP from

Quantum Electronics in the uk along with an Onkyo 605 for 360GBP and

Q Acoustics 1010i for 450 GBP all to go with Projector.

hope this helps

• Advertisement

Ah , right , those speakers are only rated at 6W rms , the onkyo is rated at 90W , in short , it is way too powerful for those speakers , I wouldnt recommend trying it , you could easily destroy them with just a slight tweak of the volume knob on the onkyo ....

At any rate , by the look of it , those speakers are active , is that its own little amp there ? I think they are meant as a basic setup for say a DVD with optical out or a PC , they are no match for the Onkyo.

Yeah exactly, great little system, but basically for games console/dvd :o

Can you recommend any speakers and sub to go with onkyo without breaking the bank? IE. cheapest possible suitable ones for the moment :o thanks again, youv'e been a great help.

These will match the Onkyo specs wise ,

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-NSP110

Sound wise they are respectable enough , spending a little more obviously will get you an excellent set , something like the Kef or Mordaunt short packages from richer sounds , but these are a respectable enough starting point.

They can be had for somewhere in the region of 100-150 euros. Thats about as cheap as it goes for decent speaker packages.

These will match the Onkyo specs wise ,

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-NSP110

Sound wise they are respectable enough , spending a little more obviously will get you an excellent set , something like the Kef or Mordaunt short packages from richer sounds , but these are a respectable enough starting point.

They can be had for somewhere in the region of 100-150 euros. Thats about as cheap as it goes for decent speaker packages.

That's great man. Cheers.

Ordered the speakers there in work, so will get them staff price :)

But onkyo will have to source elsewhere, komplett or richer sounds?

Thanks for help dude.

Advertisement