Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclockable cards

Options
  • 06-03-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

considerin upgrading to a good 8800gt. have been lookin at eVGA. i definatly plan on overclockin the soab. question i have is; would i be better off goin for This 720mhz core clock card or This stock 600mhz core clock card? is the price difference just? or is the first one just an overclocked version of the latter one?

i mean that in the sense that, will they overclock to about the same limit or will i get...well...120mhz more outta the first one?

and will the first one run alot hotter?..or should they run at the same temps at their respective stock clocks? (jus saw that the 720mhz one comes with the dual slot cooler of the gts)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

you won't get as much overclock out of the latter one as it only has a single slot cooler, the eVGA Akimbo one has a duel slot cooler.

What you will need to do is buy the latter one and replace the stock cooler with HR-03 or something to get the equivalent (or better) overclock.

If it was me, i'd get the latter and install a 3rd party cooler. Much like what Gline did to his 8800GT's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

alrightio, they work out that the akimbo will be 30 quid more then. would it not be a safer option to go with the akimbo then tho cause i wont have ta mess with replacing a heat sink, wont have to void the warrenty, and the akimbo is already in a more overclocked state...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Have to agree with l31mr0d

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

alrightio, they work out that the akimbo will be 30 quid more then. would it not be a safer option to go with the akimbo then tho cause i wont have ta mess with replacing a heat sink, wont have to void the warrenty, and the akimbo is already in a more overclocked state...?

then get the Akimbo then :confused: you didn't ask what the "safest" option would be, you asked what option will give you the best value for money and the best overclock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If the evga one is only 30 quid more, I don't see why not, getting a stock 8800GT and then buying an aftermarket cooler will be about the same price anyway....The stock cooler of the 8800GT isn't great so you wouldn't get massive increases on it to be honest....120mhz is quite a large Factory OC for the evga and there's prob a small bit more headroom there too.

Also, I think the Zotac 8800GT is factory overclocked by about 80mhz, but it costs the very same as any other stock 8800gt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

L31mr0d wrote: »
    then get the Akimbo then :confused: you didn't ask what the "safest" option would be, you asked what option will give you the best value for money and the best overclock.

okay, sorry. should have mentioned that.

but basically, i want which ever one would potentially be the best, spose a price diff of 20 quid is shrapnell when compared to what ud spend on a night out anyway.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Custom PC reviewed the Asus flavour of the 8800gt in the last issue (the one with the Company of Heroes Sticker) and it was neck and neck with the 8800gts 512 in every test and its well priced, only 193 on HWV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How...? It's clocked at reference speeds...:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I linked the wrong card, its the other one with the CoH sticker :p

8800gt Top

at 230 euro its not the same awesome value and a cheap 8800gts is probably a better buy seen as it has a dual slot cooler and will clock higher than the already overclocked card..

*edit*

Yup, muchos value at 214 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Get that Gts...

Incredible value..

• Advertisement
Advertisement