Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone line extension and my broadband

Options
  • 06-03-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi,
    I have phone line in front hall of house, with computer upstairs waiting on broadband connection…is it ok to extend my phone line up to the bedroom and connect my netgeat wireless router to that or connect to original phone box down in the hall ? does if have any effect ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

That worked fine for me in the UK.. extended the line up to my office in the attic (25m cable) with no issues. Have tried the same in my new house back in Ireland and it didnt work so successfully. Spoke to Eircom and they said i was getting a lot of noise on the line and should have used DSL extension lead (which i didnt know existed) as it was better quality. I think the extra noise just pushed me over the tolerable limits as even on the main socked the noise is still pretty bad.

So you will probably by ok.. but its probably worth trying to get the better quality DSL wire for the extension just to be on the safe side.

Or alternatively just go wireless.. i bought some USB Wireless G connectors for the desktops at 29.99 each from Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snapplejacks

thanks.
    it is wireless netgear router with adaptor that i have. i just want to avoid setting the router on the hall floor (where children wreck everything in sight at the minute) and was wondering about possibility of extending upstairs..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cat5 cable and use one pair for the phone wire. Let you have any distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

I extended my connection by using something like this:

[HTML]http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=30001&partNumber=5521584[/HTML]

The cable is very thin and did not cause noise on the line

Advertisement