Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alpha Romeo 156

Options
  • 06-03-2008 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying an Alpha 156 (year 2002 or 2003) getting mixed reports to be honest. People say they are never out of the garage others won't drive anything else.

Help

KM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭kyote00

Alfa Romeo is an Italian automobile manufacturer founded in 1910. Alfa Romeo has been a part of the Fiat Group since 1986. The company was originally known as A.L.F.A., which is an acronym for Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili (translated: Lombard Automobile Factory, Public Company).....

If you buy a very well maintained one and are prepared to replace timing belts at 35-40k intervals and front suspension bushes then you should be ok....

Avoid the selespeed models

Check if the MAF unit has been replaced and variator if its a twinspark model.

Airbag ecu are also beginning to fail in earlier models (about 400euros to replace)

Get Gerry at TI-Autos to look at it or recommend a car to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

K.MALONE wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying an Alpha 156 (year 2002 or 2003) getting mixed reports to be honest. People say they are never out of the garage others won't drive anything else.

Help

KM
    A bit more research and you'll be able to spell ALFA.
    Just make sure the timing belt has been done and its been serviced on time.
    Try and get a car thats been looked after by an enthuastic owner.
    There was one in Barrables in Airside in very good condition recently. I was going to buy it but my financial circumstances changed. The sales man had agreed to change the belt as part of the deal. It had the service book stamped up in the glove box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If you can't spell it, don't buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

prospect wrote: »

If you've nothing constructive to say, don't go to the bother of replying.

OP,

The later 156 models were supposed to have been better built, with a lot of the earlier problems ironed out. I'm not sure when the 'later' models were built though. Hopefully someone else will know more.

Good luck.

smcgiff wrote: »

I think it is very constructive, Mr Self Nominated Mod..... :rolleyes:

Alfas, particularly used Alfas should only be owned by enthusiasts, as the cars require that extra TLC and knowledge of its weaker points. If the OP can't spell Alfa, he/she is obviously not an enthusiast and therefore should not buy it, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

smcgiff wrote: »

'Tis a bit of a smart-assed comment alright but I can understand where he's coming from. Gets right on my tits too TBH :o

Alfas, especially the older models have their little 'foibles'. Best left to enthusiasts who have a better chance of both caring for and appreciating the marque. If you can't even spell Alfa ( A-L-F-A') you're off to a bad start...

Maybe the OP would be better off with a Toyota (that's 'T-O-Y-O-T-A') or Honda ('H-O-N-D-A')? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Alfas, particularly used Alfas should only be owned by enthusiasts, as the cars require that extra TLC and knowledge of its weaker points. If the OP can't spell Alfa, he/she is obviously not an enthusiast and therefore should not buy it, imo.

What a croc...every car has its weak points, BMW waterpumps are crap and will fail, do you think only enthusiast drive them?

You don't have to be part of the "enthusiast club', you can just like the car, that is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

What a croc...every car has its weak points, BMW waterpumps are crap and will fail, do you think only enthusiast drive them?

You don't have to be part of the "enthusiast club', you can just like the car, that is enough.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Fair point, however many "I bought and ALFA and it was crap" stories originate from people who regard checking the oil as part of an annual inspection. ALFAs don't like this. Successful ALFA ownership involves a small commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

what the OP wants is a Diesel Alfa
    Alfa make some of the best diesel engines in the world :cool:
    and they are way way more reliable than the petrol versions
    also buy a 156 with the facelifted interior if you can, the quality of fit and finish is much improved over older models

something like this would be perfect ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I've driven Alfa's for the past 15 years - had a 2.0 156 since '99 with very few problems.

As a previous poster mentioned - timing belt is key - make sure its changed at 45k, can also have problems with the 'Lambda' - also the air flow meter - not a major job, but makes the car hesitate when its running.

Get a good service history & you should be ok - make sure you get a mechanic to check the car out well before buying - steering rack can give problems in pre 2003 models & also check the sunroof moves smoothly & is well greased - they have a nasty habit of breaking if they are not regularly greased as there is a two inch piece of the lifting mechanism that is made of plastic for some bizarre reason !

Much as people hate them - you get a lot of car & fun for you money.

Timing belts now recommended change at 36k miles or 3 yrs. Lambda sensor and MAF are 2 very different things, both can give issues; symptoms can be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Had a 166. A few problems but its a different car so wont go into them. Watch the oil though.
    Maf sensor failed and clutch slave cylinder both of which common to 156 i think.

We are all entitled to our opinion.

From my own experience, as an Alfa owner and fan of the marque:
    Anyone I know who has had trouble with an Alfa is someone who has no interest in motoring and just bought it cause it looks pretty. These are the people who don't slow down going over speed bumps or mounting kerbs. They do not monitor oil levels or tyre pressure. They are not committed to service intervals and get their mate to do it when it is 10K over and there is a funny noise coming from the engine. They wonder about that big orange light on their dash & why people behind them keep flashing them shouting 'It is not foggy' as they pass.

So,
    My post may have been short or abrupt or smart, but it is all that need to be said:
    If you can't spell Alfa, don't buy Alfa.

That is my opinion on the matter, and despite your objection, I am sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

K.MALONE wrote: »
    Hi all,

Help

KM

You buy and Alfa and sell and Fiat - residuals are a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

please do a search on boards for your answer to your question

we could all do without another "I'm thinking of buying an Alfa" thread

its beginning to sound like a broken record

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

KM,

Lots folks on this site know lots about cars. I don't, but I do know when I see a car I like. I bought a 166 a couple of months back... I bought it because I loved the shape, the interior, the sound of the engine, the smell of the leather etc etc.

Yes, they do fall in value like a concrete parachute... but you're buying 2nd hand so good for you.

I got lots of great advice (for and against) from people here. I took their advice & checked all of the points they made.

I love driving it & haven't stopped smiling since I bought it.

Some people just don't like Alfas (or Alphas if you prefer... it's not a spelling test). That's life. I don't like Marmite, I nearly barfed when I tried it years ago... but then again, I'd never tell somebody else not to buy it "because it will make them sick". Point being, some Alfas will break down, some won't. Some people like them, some don't.

Take a few 156s out for a spin. See if you like them. If you do, then apply common sense as you would when buying any car - check service history, bodywork, mechanicals, electrical & paperwork. If you're not sure, get a friend/mechanic who knows about cars to look them over.

You'll be driving the car, so at the end of the day, it's your decision.

BTW, try a 166 too - they are fantastic value... my '02 cost about the same as an '02 Focus.

Good luck whatever you decide.

You buy and Alfa and sell and Fiat
    Invaluable information.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    KM,

I love driving it & haven't stopped smiling since I bought it.

So no problems with the 166 yet then? You must have got a good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

We are all entitled to our opinion.

From my own experience, as an Alfa owner and fan of the marque:
    Anyone I know who has had trouble with an Alfa is someone who has no interest in motoring and just bought it cause it looks pretty. These are the people who don't slow down going over speed bumps or mounting kerbs. They do not monitor oil levels or tyre pressure. They are not committed to service intervals and get their mate to do it when it is 10K over and there is a funny noise coming from the engine. They wonder about that big orange light on their dash & why people behind them keep flashing them shouting 'It is not foggy' as they pass.

So,
    My post may have been short or abrupt or smart, but it is all that need to be said:
    If you can't spell Alfa, don't buy Alfa.

That is my opinion on the matter, and despite your objection, I am sticking to it.

Gotta agree here. I bought a 00 156 and I love it, but I knew first off that buying an alfa is different from buying a corolla. Oil needs to be checked every week or so and ensure its topped up. Service intervals are paramount and generally take care of the car and its a great ownership experience. A lot of car for the money second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ev612337

I bought a 2yr old Alfa Romeo 166 in 2002 and kept it for 5 years.

This is a SUPER machine. It never gave me a moments bother that wasn't expected routine maintenance such as tyres, brake pads and rear multilink bushings which are prone to wear.

People warned me off Alfa's in general for a variety of reasons and I know friends who had living hell with recent 156's before the 159 came along.

I would buy another 166 in a heartbeat, they are way ahead of any 5 series, A6 , 9-5 or E-Class in my opinion and a GREAT drivers car. I invested in the full official body kit, which turns an already mega head turner into a serious magnet for attention as well as a fab looking car.

I drive a Saab these days and it's a pile of junk, currently stranded with a shot turbocharger. I'm in the market, and would/will consider another 166.

Alfa are a brand the motor trade can't seem to give a break to, but if you want a REAL drivers car, take one out for a spin.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

As mentioned in many other Alfa thread before.
    Buying and driving an Alfa is more a passion thing than making a sensible choice. If you give them the TLC they require, an Alfa is the best car you ever had.

I for one did this a year ago buying an 01 2.4 JTD Sportwagon. Haven't looked back since - although I have looked at a tow truck once :-) And those damn suspension bushes.

Advertisement