Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock cylinder

Options
  • 06-03-2008 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

My front door lock cylinder needs to be replaced. It's one of the euro profile type.

Having seen a couple of videos recently showing just how easy it is to open one of these locks I'm concerned with getting a decently secure type too.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get one either online or in the Park West area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Anyone use this crowd before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

better go to a locksmith or hardware store with old one as they are many different types, the lengths can be different and the fixing screw is not always in middle of the lock:
    do u know how to take it out?

can u post a pic from camera fone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

What I fitted to my front door is a five lever euro profile sash lock with handle and dead lock with a thumb turn on the inside and a security escutcheon on the outside at hip level and a good quality Nightlatch further up all with separate restricted keys witch means you need a code to have a key cut

I have also fitted some mechanical digital locksets to private front doors but this can be a bit risky if the code is passed on but the advantage of being able to change the code is what they wanted and less keys

Two locks are better than one makes them have to work harder to break in if they see good security on the front door they will generally assume the rest of the house is well secured and move on to a easer target

regards jbcford

I know exactly what size it is, it's type (euro profile) and how to remove it. I already changed two others in the house a while back due to mislaid keys. I'm wondering about wheres a good spot to get a replacement (previous were got through a mate who's no longer in the same job)?

There's no point in me getting a thumb turn for the inside as there's glass in the door which would allow for easier opening. I can't fit a security escutcheon very well as the handle incorporates the lock and is raised from the door surface - though I have given some thought to fitting one of the internal cylinder guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

I went for Garrison Break secure Cylinders and had them Keyed alike. This means
    one Key for all 5 locks on My House. They are a 7 lever lock and having one key for all is very handy. I got mine in Fogartys on Dame Street and they gave me a good price because I was buying 5 cylinders, these locks also need a security card for replacement keys.

Have a look at them here http://www.afs-securitysystems.com/Break-Secure.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KosovoKid

See the picture in that link you've posted - the keys - I have keys like those & i need to get them cut - Do you know anywhere in Dublin or between Dublin & Dundalk , where I can get those keys cut? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi

I Replaced all my Euro locks front and back from a guy selling on eBay. I went with 6 pin antil drill anti pick. The problems with the euro lock is that if they stick out too far then they can be twisted and snapped off. Some Euro lock come with a snap device where if they are snapped off they still leave some of the cyliders (2 or 3pin left). However the guy on eBay sold me an anti twist device which is put over the cyliner and then it is screwed in from the side making it very hard to twist and break the lock.

here is the device I bought

http://cgi.ebay.ie/EURO-CYLINDER-LOCK-GUARD-FOR-UPVC-COMPOSITE-DOORS_W0QQitemZ190203582465QQihZ009QQcategoryZ20592QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The big problem I'm having is finding a lock which is small enough on the one side. The true size should be 25mm. So far the closest I've seen is a 27mm and they won't ship to Ireland. There's no way I can go for a six pin for this door.

I have seen those devices and was considering investing in one until I popped off the handle investigating wheter it would fit or not. I discovered that the cylinder is mounted through the bar in the middle of the door (runs the full height of the door carrying the bolts which engage when the handle is raised) with the actuator in the middle thus avoiding the possibility of it being twisted and snapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

TKK wrote: »
    The big problem I'm having is finding a lock which is small enough on the one side. The true size should be 25mm. So far the closest I've seen is a 27mm and they won't ship to Ireland. There's no way I can go for a six pin for this door.

I have seen those devices and was considering investing in one until I popped off the handle investigating wheter it would fit or not. I discovered that the cylinder is mounted through the bar in the middle of the door (runs the full height of the door carrying the bolts which engage when the handle is raised) with the actuator in the middle thus avoiding the possibility of it being twisted and snapped.

TKK
    Can you tell me the overall length that you're looking for. I have a few sitting in a box at home tha might work. Also a picture if possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

the euro type locks , even on 5 point locking system doors are very easy to open. I had to break a lock just this morn as I lost keys to an unsold apartment. took 5 mins. I will not say how its done but I would recommend extra security

Advertisement