Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stir fry noodles

• 06-03-2008 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Hi

Why to my stir fry noodles ALWAYS stick???:mad:

I've tried all methods of prep but to no avail...any hints???

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Have you tried stirring in a little olive oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭mikep

I presume you mean through the noodles??

If so...yes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What I do is to plunge them into cold water immediately when they're ready, drain and repeat 2 or 3 times. This stops them cooking any further and stops them going too starchy and sticking. Then drain them well, and stir a bit of oil through them, usually sesame oil in my case. Then return them to the wok with whatever you're having with them and stir them around a bit to warm them back up again. Works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Alun wrote: »
    What I do is to plunge them into cold water immediately when they're ready, drain and repeat 2 or 3 times. This stops them cooking any further and stops them going too starchy and sticking. Then drain them well, and stir a bit of oil through them, usually sesame oil in my case. Then return them to the wok with whatever you're having with them and stir them around a bit to warm them back up again. Works for me.
    Yeah that's what I do too, although I generally don't bother with the oil as I find draining them well does the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Aye if they're sticking a lot it's because they're a little overdone and soft, and therefore paste together and stick to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

A sure fire way to avoid the noodles sticking is to rapidly cool them, then dry the excess moisture off them before putting into the stir-fry. This is particularly true of the vermicelli noodles.

Rice noodles or glass noodles, cook them, drain and place in a bowl of cold water until needed. Make stir-fry. When the noodles are needed, drain and dry on a clean tea towel or kitchen paper. A big bunch of noodles will hold a lot of water. If that is added to the wok, the water steams and glues the noodles together. Also the sauce for the dish needs to coat the noodles, difficult if it is diluted or the noodles are wet.

Wheat noodles - cook, drain and cool. Before adding to the dish, rinse again to loosen the noodles. A kettle of boiling water through the colander will help finish the dish quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

I assume you are using a non-stick wok!!!
    Otherwise, like the consensus says 3/4 cook the noodles and put in cold water to stop them cooking any further...I use some chunky medium noodles as they have a little bite in them and dont break up when tossing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes cool them just like fried rice. You can get these black "magic sheets" in supermarkets in the tinfoil section. I stick one in my wok and NOTHING sticks to it, no matter how burnt on it gets. They are really thin black ones, not stretchy like the silicone baking mats, they can be used in the oven too. After cooling I would add the oil to the noodles and coat them evenly, then fry, if you dump them in hot oil the bits at the bottom can absorb all the oil, then the other dry bits can stick when tossed around.

Advertisement