Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[SMART] new contract & packages changes when taking new packages

Options
  • 06-03-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

So I call smart to try and move onto one of their new packages and I found out some interesting things.

1. The upload speed on some of their new products are actually lower than on the old products.
    2. In order to move to one of the higher speeds you need to sign a new 12 month contract. Now I have no problem with 12 month contracts on new connections as its reasonable that they need to ensure their initial outlay is recouped but I can see no reasonable justification for it just to change packages. In particular I find this quiet galling given that they specifically told me when I was signing up that I could move to different speeds at any time.
    3. In order to get one of the new packages you are effectively forced to take their bundled call package aswell, as they now price their packages without the call bundle even higher than with the call bundle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Ok, so you signed a contract which is still current?

How long was this contract for?

How far into it are you?

Smart are allowing you to break this contract?

You don't want to sign another contract? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hugsr4free

Be careful they dont go bust again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Akula wrote: »
    So I call smart to try and move onto one of their new packages and I found out some interesting things.

1. The upload speed on some of their new products are actually lower than on the old products.
    2. In order to move to one of the higher speeds you need to sign a new 12 month contract. Now I have no problem with 12 month contracts on new connections as its reasonable that they need to ensure their initial outlay is recouped but I can see no reasonable justification for it just to change packages. In particular I find this quiet galling given that they specifically told me when I was signing up that I could move to different speeds at any time.
    3. In order to get one of the new packages you are effectively forced to take their bundled call package aswell, as they now price their packages without the call bundle even higher than with the call bundle.

Id call back and speak to someone else or even ask for a supervisor just to be sure.
    From reading over in the Smart Telecom Forums it seems only new customers are required to sign a contract.
    Im pretty sure you do not need to bundle in calls either. Pay a visit to the smart forums and see whats going on
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'm an existing customer and was interested in the 1 meg upload as I do a bit of traveling to the USA (sh*te TV there!) and have a PCTV to go (it's like a slingbox but wireless and cheaper - check em out in Maplin).

Anyway I've asked to be moved to the 4 meg package with 1 meg upload without the bundled calls as I have loads of minutes with my mobile. This cost €50/month (would have been €60 with the calls) and had to commit to 12 month contract again which was finer with me as have always found smart great.

Interestingly when these new bundles came out the bundled calls were shown as an optional €10 extra on their website.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

- You should read the small print before signing up, its upto the consumer to be informed

- Its standard enough for ISP's to stick you into a new contract when you change packages

- Again you should read the small print, if your not happy with the terms then don't take the new package

:)

Its hardly anything to beaware of, its simply down to people not liking the terms of the new packages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Akula

For the record, I'm not questioning the legality of this. Almost anything can be justified in the small print.

I have two issues.

1. Broadband companies have an attrocious record when it comes to customer service. I really think there is a space and a business case for companies to complete on service and this was something I thought smart were attempting to do.

2. Its not sufficient to have things in the small print. If you ask a staff member whether you can change packages at any time, and they simply say yes, surely they should probably inform you of the catch that comes with too.

Ultimately my objections are not legal, but rather pointing out the pitfalls to people and making the point that if smart want to maximise their customer satisfaction they aren't going about it the right way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

You say in your OP that when signing up you were informed that you could move to different speeds at any time. This is still the case with Smart. You can purchase a speed upgrade as an add on to your existing package, so you were not given incorrect info.

As was already pointed out to you on the Smart forum (where you are posting identical posts to here), there is a difference between changing speeds and changing packages.

You should contact customer care who will advise you on the options for add ons (I think its monthly €5 for 2MB down,€10 for 4Mb down, & €10 for 1Mb up)

Advertisement