Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network+ Security+

Options
  • 06-03-2008 12:54pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

As a large part of my job I setup and connect to simple retail networks, as well as setting up a computer to process a type transaction (basic antivirus,windows updates and sql) Things are taking off a bit and I think it would be best for me to brush up on both my networking and security.

I did do the network plus course more years ago then I care to remember, however as a poor student I never actually did the exam. I believe the course was updated a couple of years ago as well.

The boss has ok'd whatever training I would like to go for, provided it's relevant of course. I did call around and one place suggested mcsa would be more popular, but looking at what I am doing I think that a lot of it wouldn't be relevant to my role.

So, for networking and security, would the comptia ones be a reasonable start?

Thanks for the read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Both are very good courses and well worth doing, they also serve as a good foundation for other vendor Certs later on (Network+ -> CCNA, Security+ -> MCSE:Security or CCSP etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I wouldnt rule out going for an MCSA, its going to cost the same exam fee's wise .... its not too difficult especially when your working with it on a daily basis.
    It will give you good insight into Active directory, Networking, XP , Server 2003.....Plus the elective exam gives you quite a range to choose from.

You can always do 3 more exams afterwards and make that an MCSE, maybe specialize in security...it leaves alot of options open.

Either way its a good route to be going down (getting certified).

PS There is a second shot offer with Microsoft exams now so if you fail you get a free retake....

Advertisement