Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football This Weekend - on your doorstep

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

So good walking over the bridge over the Tolka there in Drumcondra seeing the floodlights at 7.15.:) Thank God it's back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That mix up at Pats is an absolute joke. How are people gonna take the leaguee seriously with sh*te like that going on?

it was a shambles, any sligo fans got pics of this new white away gear?

we wear red with white shorts and socks for about forever now :eek:

Guys 2nd goal was goal of the season material, theres always one on the 1st day :)

http://www.sligorovers.com/photo1/displayimage.php?pid=847&fullsize=1

sligos all white away kit.

http://stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2071

pats red with white on sleeves jersey.

Sligo should have brought a 2nd kit which is red.

rfef was buttimer who did the same thing twice last season once with cork afaik, he said that the white on the sleeves was the problem but let them wear out navy mock up kit with....guess what on the sleeves :O

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Under nine long hours to kick off, cant wait. Looking forward to tonight even though I cant see anything bar a draw hopefully for Longford... that and hypothermia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

When is the RTE highlight show on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

it is fantastic to read some of the posts on here and see how much the eircom league means to some people. while sometimes the debate on ere goes away over the top when its EPL V EL, these things happen.

well done to all for supporting your local team and while i never got the chance cos of there being no team where im from, i will tag along with DesF and Leixlipred to a few shels games to see wat all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭secman

I'm sure over the years, that Arsenal and Leeds played each other, both wearing their traditional home jersy's. The ref should go to Spec Savers if he cannot distinguish between those kits.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That ref is just a goon.

End of.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    When is the RTE highlight show on?

Its called Monday Night Football not sure when its on.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Decent point last night for Dundalk considering we finished the game with 9 men(Sending off and an injury when all subs were used). Thought Shels played the better stuff in the 1st half while dundalk were pretty crap. Only started to play after the sending off. For about 25 mins of the 2nd half thought we played great stuff and deserved a goal.

Shels keeper pulled off a hell of a save from O Connor and we hit the woodwork from the resultant corner. After we went down to 9 men it was all Shels for the last 10 mins and we were hanging on at the end(Shels hit the bar close to the end). Phillys "goal" well offside. All in all a well earned point. Decent enough crowd there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Its Monday Night SOCCER!

Anyway, Shels game was decent entertainment. Had plenty of atmosphere and rivalry, but the only thing it lacked was an onside goal.

Shels were impressive at times, frustrating at others, but will do well in the league if they play like that against "lesser" teams. Dundalk defended well and both sides hit the bar, but against ten and nine men Shels were always going to be putting the opposition on the back foot.

eirebhoy wrote: »

8 o'clock.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

it is fantastic to read some of the posts on here and see how much the eircom league means to some people. while sometimes the debate on ere goes away over the top when its EPL V EL, these things happen.

well done to all for supporting your local team and while i never got the chance cos of there being no team where im from, i will tag along with DesF and Leixlipred to a few shels games to see wat all the fuss is about.

Yeh you should defo head along some week to watch us alright. Bring some of those exiled friends of yours too :D Didn't see Des at the game last night actually.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Didn't see Des at the game last night actually.

thats strange, i hope hes ok!!!

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    thats strange, i hope hes ok!!!

kdjac

He may have been there but no posts from him on Shelsweb since yesterday afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pighead wrote: »
    STOP PRESS: THIS JUST IN: DESF IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT GOING TO TOLKA PARK TONIGHT. HE IS INSTEAD GOING TO A BEER GUTS AND RECEDING HAIRLINES NIGHT OUT IN THE PORTERHOUSE.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55330439&postcount=26556
    i think an admin ban on desf bitching about people not going to El games is in order..
    Nailz wrote: »
    Hey Des were you at the match?
    I was at the match :rolleyes:

Pighead wrote: »
    Decent point last night for Dundalk considering we finished the game with 9 men(Sending off and an injury when all subs were used). Thought Shels played the better stuff in the 1st half while dundalk were pretty crap. Only started to play after the sending off. For about 25 mins of the 2nd half thought we played great stuff and deserved a goal.

Shels keeper pulled off a hell of a save from O Connor and we hit the woodwork from the resultant corner. After we went down to 9 men it was all Shels for the last 10 mins and we were hanging on at the end(Shels hit the bar close to the end). Phillys "goal" well offside. All in all a well earned point. Decent enough crowd there as well.
    We were much the better team in the first half, Dundalk showed absolutely nothing.

Was the sending off for a foul, or a handball?

I watched it after on John's laptop. It wasn't handball. It was a foul. But he wasn't the last man

I watched it after on John's laptop. It wasn't handball. It was a foul. But he wasn't the last man
    Fair enough, it was a joke of a ref anyway.

Where were you all night btw? I sat with pp for a while, then went up to the new stand.

I didn't go into the bar afterwards though.

• Advertisement

I sat up in the New Stand. I was down under the stand for about an hour after the game

1-0 rovers after 2 minutes

kdjac

1-0 rovers after 2 minutes

kdjac

Nice finish too.

How Richie Baker has back-to-back league titles is beyond me. Absolutely muck. The only thing I can think of is that Ollie Cahills greatness makes up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Nice finish too.

How Richie Baker has back-to-back league titles is beyond me. Absolutely muck. The only thing I can think of is that Ollie Cahills greatness makes up for it.

Cahill has been rubbish for Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Daycent half from shamrock rovers, lovely goal! Drogs passing was dire for most of that half.

Cahill has been rubbish for Drogheda.

Was unreal for Shels two seasons back though. Baker was woeful that year.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Nice finish too.
    Yeah, really good goal.

But my jaysis, I hate Roody.

finsihed 1-0 drogs were shocking lumping the ball, rovers defence just lapped it up.

Obrien Ferguson and Flynn were excellent today, the other guy wasnt bad either :(

kdjac

According to Errortel, Athlone Kildare's been called off due to rain.
    It actually says rain.
    Surely that must mean the pitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Drogs were awful tonight. Hopefully we can't play as bad now for the rest of the season. I wish I'd saved myself the cost of the car parking & stayed in to watch it on TV - but then you feel like you're wasting your season ticket. :(

Longford drawing 1all with Torpedo Fingal.
    Nearly half time.

• Advertisement

2-1 Longford and it isn't even half time.

Must be a cracker of a game there.

Under nine long hours to kick off, cant wait. Looking forward to tonight even though I cant see anything bar a draw hopefully for Longford... that and hypothermia.

lol pessimism ftw!

5-1 longford.

kdjac

lol pessimism ftw!

5-1 longford.

kdjac

A hat trick in 11 minutes:eek:

Wow, 5-1 is always nice.

Eleven minute hat-trick?

Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

BTW Des, been meaning to ask you which was the game that was on my doorstep ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

2 sent off for Fingal according to Aertel...

worst.start.ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

DesF wrote: »
    Wow, 5-1 is always nice.

Eleven minute hat-trick?

Brilliant!
    even better that it's from a former redsman and our hero from the first day last season Darren McKenna! :D :eek: fair play to the lad but he's still crap :)

Franchise may be down to 9 men but looking at their starting XI they have at least 6 Premier Division quality players so there will have to be an inquest into this disaster but i'm not complaining anyhow :)

Shels/Dundalk: on one hand i'm gutted we couldn't beat them when we should have but on the other i saw enough from both sides during the first half when it was 11 men apiece to confirm Shels look a better side than Dundalk despite 2 or 3 players who i would classify as 'not good enough'. the sending off changed the game, up until that Shels were comfortably the stronger side without playing particularly well either. 2nd half from Shels was one dimensional and lethargic. it looked our players had no confidence to have a go at them, sloppy passing, predictable linkup play and poor decision making cost us but i have no doubt with more games to gel that will be overcome. Dean Delaney really did make a world class save from Ian Ryan (i think), could be vital at the end of the season. a clean sheet is always welcome.

i may include Waterford in the title race now because i do think both Shels and Dundalk are going to have trouble finding the back of the net regularly this season.

SF have some quality players (Rogers, Byrne, Deans, Collins, Williams,Hynes) for this level and I can't see them finishing below Longford at the end of the season but bit of a disastrous start tbh.

Between us, Dundalk and Waterford with us edging it I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

SF have some quality players (Rogers, Byrne, Deans, Collins, Williams,Hynes) for this level and I can't see them finishing below Longford at the end of the season but bit of a disastrous start tbh.
    i agree, i really do think its a freak result but thats not to take anything away from Longford's magnificent start to the season. could be blessing in disguise for Fingal as it may develop them a siege mentality this season. they do have some genuine quality and once they weed out the sh!t from the quality they will be pain in the arse for Shels, Dundalk and Waterford this season, no doubts about that.

That was fun, Longfords first was a great finish, as was the equaliser. The two sendings off were fully deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

SantryRed wrote: »
    According to Errortel, Athlone Kildare's been called off due to rain.
    It actually says rain.
    Surely that must mean the pitch?
    No, apparantly it was called off incase there was rain cos the pitch would have ended up in ****.
    SF have some quality players (Rogers, Byrne, Deans, Collins, Williams,Hynes) for this level...
    Agree with your general point but Hynes is pure ****e.

His lob was anything but ****e but that was all he did... ;)

Noone is allowed show highlights till after 9pm on Monday as per RTE rules.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

didnt see the drogs match myself but everyone i spoke to said we were just rubbish simple as that, but not to take anything away from shams they said they were the better team and very well organised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Drohs had the upper-hand in what I saw of the 2nd hand, first half you's were shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

redzerdrog wrote: »
    didnt see the drogs match myself but everyone i spoke to said we were just rubbish simple as that, but not to take anything away from shams they said they were the better team and very well organised.

I don't know who Shams are, but Rovers were by a mile the better team, especially in the first half, scored and hit the post and looked much more composed on the ball. Drogs were lumping high balls forward and we were able to soak it up with ease. We tried to play our way out of trouble a bit in the second half and brought pressure onto ourselves, but apart from a couple of saves from Baz, Drogs could still be there and not score. Richie Baker was more concerned with trying (and failing) to wind the Rovers players up than actually playing football.

Delighted with a confidence boosting win, and with a vulnerable Cork Village up next, its all good in the hooped camp at the moment.

But €50k a week for that from Drogheda - ouch! Also a very flat atmosphere from them, didn't hear a peep out of the Drogs, ahem, Ultras.

Shams beat drogs 1-0, Rovers lost 3-1 to Pats on friday night :confused:

your getting your teams mixed up again :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Shams beat drogs 1-0, Rovers lost 3-1 to Pats on friday night :confused:

your getting your teams mixed up again :D

kdjac

no, its you trying to be a smartarse.

still, its an improvment on inventing stories about hooligans from last season....

I don't know who Shams are
    KdjacL wrote:
    Shams beat drogs 1-0, Rovers lost 3-1 to Pats on friday night
    no, its you trying to be a smartarse.

Him trying to be a smartarse? Hehe.

• Advertisement

BTW Des, been meaning to ask you which was the game that was on my doorstep ?
    You live in England.

The majority of posters on this forum live in Ireland. As I said earlier in the thread, guaranteed that a non specific game in the eL this weekend was closer to anyones house than any other game in the top two divisions anywhere else in Europe (apart from maybe the Irish league.).

On TV this weekend were you?
    I don't know who Shams are,
    Cork Village
    Hypocrisy is alive and well on Boards.ie. :rolleyes:

Advertisement