Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football This Weekend - on your doorstep

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

DesF wrote: »
    You live in England.
    Raises an interesting question. Why would someone living in England choose to go on an Irish-based MB system, to discuss, mostly, English football?

Which leads to possibly an even more interesting question. Why does any fan of EPL, who uses 'we' when talking about ManU etc., go on an Irish-based MB? What is wrong with or deficient about British football boards, or don't Irish fans want to share the same space as British fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SectionF wrote: »
    Raises an interesting question. Why would someone living in England choose to go on an Irish-based MB system, to discuss, mostly, English football?

Which leads to possibly an even more interesting question. Why does any fan of EPL, who uses 'we' when talking about ManU etc., go on an Irish-based MB? What is wrong with or deficient about British football boards, or don't Irish fans want to share the same space as British fans?

Not really that interesting a question really.

I'm sure a lot of EPL fans here post on their own club's sites anyway, the same as you probably post on the Bohs one. I know I do.

I post here about the EPL because it's good to get the views of those from a similar demographic background as myself.

Do you think that we should all go learn Spanish so we can discuss La Liga or Italian for Serie A?

You pose the question as if you have a problem with EPL fans posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Not really that interesting a question really.

I'm sure a lot of EPL fans here post on their own club's sites anyway, the same as you probably post on the Bohs one. I know I do.

I post here about the EPL because it's good to get the views of those from a similar demographic background as myself.

Do you think that we should all go learn Spanish so we can discuss La Liga or Italian for Serie A?

You pose the question as if you have a problem with EPL fans posting here.
    If I went around 'having a problem' with EPL fans posting on Irish football MBs then I would be in need of medication! :D
    The scenarios which you cite aren't quite comparable. You may post on your club's forum (there isn't an Irish parallel available there) but what is it about the British general football forums that make you want to avoid that demographic and stay close to your own, even when discussing the British game?
    The answer would be clear-cut if there was a language difference, as is the case of Spanish or Italian football (although it looks to me like you might be better off learning Catalan ;)). So, if it's not language, what is it?

It's probably nothing more than Irish people = Irish message board. Boards caters for the EPL, it's close to home so why go elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

SectionF wrote: »
    If I went around 'having a problem' with EPL fans posting on Irish football MBs then I would be in need of medication! :D
    The scenarios which you cite aren't quite comparable. You may post on your club's forum (there isn't an Irish parallel available there) but what is it about the British general football forums that make you want to avoid that demographic and stay close to your own, even when discussing the British game?
    The answer would be clear-cut if there was a language difference, as is the case of Spanish or Italian football (although it looks to me like you might be better off learning Catalan ;)). So, if it's not language, what is it?

Its that they are not taken seriously on the British footie sites as they are blow ins, indeed many clubs fans are organising to take their clubs back from Oirish fans like them. so they come in here where they find like minded souls to indulge themselves that they are behaving rationally by following sides from towns they have never even been to.

• Advertisement

Hypocrisy is alive and well on Boards.ie. :rolleyes:

Of course, it is a football forum after all.

Its that they are not taken seriously on the British footie sites as they are blow ins, indeed many clubs fans are organising to take their clubs back from Oirish fans like them. so they come in here where they find like minded souls to indulge themselves that they are behaving rationally by following sides from towns they have never even been to.

Well that's a crock of sh*t if ever I've read one. Irish fans aren't 'respected' on British message boards? That's total crap. I'm a regular contributor on the City board, as are people from Australia, Sweden, Japan and Kuwait. Everyone gives their opinion and are judged on that, not where they're from. I consider myself very well respected. In fact, I do match previews for the site.

What British soccer forums do you post on to have this opinion?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well that's a crock of sh*t if ever I've read one. Irish fans aren't 'respected' on British message boards? That's total crap. I'm a regular contributor on the City board, as are people from Australia, Sweden, Japan and Kuwait. Everyone gives their opinion and are judged on that, not where they're from.

I have no interest in turning a thread about the LoI starting back up with yet another one talking about the lack of credibility Oirish fans have at their 'clubs' in Britain.

Have you anything to say about the opening week of the LoI? If not, start a thread about how grateful Man City are for your support.

I have no interest in turning a thread about the LoI starting back up with yet another one talking about the lack of credibility Oirish fans have at their 'clubs' in Britain.

Have you anything to say about the opening week of the LoI? If not, start a thread about how grateful Man City are for your support.

See that first quoted post above? That's you responding to an off topic comment so get down off your feckin high horse.

You questioned the credibility of fans on this board so I have every right to defend it. But as I successfully countered your sh*t stirring you don't like it and resort to the usual 'get back on topic' line. You couldn't even back up your comment with proof of where Irish fans are undermined abroad! What a joke.

And yes I do have something to add. Great win for Rovers but they'll win nothing. Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

You'll learn to ignore OhNoYouDidnt's bitter rants. I got boards to do it for me:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DSB wrote: »
    You'll learn to ignore OhNoYouDidnt's bitter rants. I got boards to do it for me:D
    Ah, his anti-gah rants are hilarious.

I can't wait to see his response in the other thread...

Ah, his anti-gah rants are hilarious.

I can't wait to see his response in the other thread...

Its hardly a rant, just agreeing with Section F (I feel dirty) that the attitude that there is nothing unusual about coming onto an Irish site to discuss foreign football is worthy of comment.

Which other thread btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

DSB wrote: »

Ain't that the truth. My rapidly expanding ignore list does great work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Highlights of all the weekends action on RTE 2 now for anybody who's interested. A chance to see the lionhearts of Dundalk battle manfully for a point against Shels last Friday night.

Terrible decision by the ref to send the goalkeeper off didn't stop the 10 brave Louth Legends from keeping Shels scoreless. Watch and be amazed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Pighead wrote: »
    Highlights of all the weekends action on RTE 2 now for anybody who's interested. A chance to see the lionhearts of Dundalk battle manfully for a point against Shels last Friday night.

Terrible decision by the ref to send the goalkeeper off didn't stop the 10 brave Louth Legends from keeping Shels scoreless. Watch and be amazed.

I don't think there showing the First Division games.
    :confused:

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't think there showing the First Division games.
    :confused:
    Heard that they're making an exception for this game due to the courage and tenacity of Dundalks 10 heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

On TV this weekend were you?

Not this weekend no, was nowhere near any of the action up in the gods, but could still see everything, you, have they started to televise games over there yet?

:mad:
    Heard that they're making an exception for this game due to the courage and tenacity of Dundalks 10 heroes.

It was nine players for the last ten minutes as well.:mad:

Edit:Anyone watching MNS?

Does anyone else find it funny the way Ryan Guy says Bohs?:D

Not this weekend no, was nowhere near any of the action up in the gods, but could still see everything, you, have they started to televise games over there yet?
    Despite what Pighead says I don't think the Shels match will be even on the highlights show, so I doubt it.

And yeah, RTE showed a game on Saturday night. Drogheda vs Shamrock Rovers.

New deal with RTE and the FAI for telly games, coverage ill be decent over the next few seasons.

Thanks for asking all the same.

Absolute disgrace that they didn't show any 1st division games. Its all part of the Anti-Dundalk conspiracy.:mad:

• Advertisement

That Bohs free kick mix up was gas.

Poor 'oul Cobh keeper:eek:

Edit:Anyone watching MNS?
    Yep, very impresssed actually.

Good show imo, well done RTE:)

Apart from this though...
    Absolute disgrace that they didn't show any 1st division games.
    That Bohs free kick mix up was gas.

Poor 'oul Cobh keeper:eek:
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I really enjoyed that yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea delighted with RTE, quality show.

Thought Tony O Donoghue was actually quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Only caught the tail end of it, forgot it was on. Free kick was nice. Show looks decent. They've stolen bits from MOTD but that's ok.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Only caught the tail end of it, forgot it was on. Free kick was nice. Show looks decent. They've stolen bits from MOTD but that's ok.

Maybe that will get Premiership followers to have a look.
    Probably a good thing.

Probably a good thing.

:eek:

It's a great thing.

Fantastic to see RTE giving it Prime Time slot, trying to attract people who aren't eL fans.

Long may it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Have it taped and will upload up the goals throughout the season... probably.

No First Division? Bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

That was fun, Longfords first was a great finish, as was the equaliser. The two sendings off were fully deserved.

OMG! words cannot express just how fun it was, fan-flippin-tastic. It's not every week your hear the chant of "we want 6"! in Flancare!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    No First Division? Bollix.

yeah, it would have killed them to just show the goals, ost games have cameras at em dont they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

+1:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Sherifu wrote: »

As long as they don't steal anything from that tool Adrian Childs on MOTD2 then they'll be all right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

kerash wrote: »
    OMG! words cannot express just how fun it was, fan-flippin-tastic. It's not every week your hear the chant of "we want 6"! in Flancare!:D

Another LTFC fan on here?! *faints*

Advertisement