Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing disaster

Options
  • 06-03-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hey guys,

While it might need more than some DIY, I have a problem that I need help on, even if it's a short term solution.

A while ago (2months?), we got some new water pipes installed in the house. They basically brought water from the mains into the house, then joined the old ones at certain points.

Now recently (past few weeks) the pipes have been rattling when we turn on the water, and sometimes just at intervals when the water isn't on. I don't think it's waterhammer, it's actually the pipes themselves making noise.

And yday, we found a leak.

Basically need your help - obviously will have to get a plumber as it's now leaking but anyone have any gems of knowledge as to why the pipes rattle? I think basically it's leaking now because they've shaken around so much. Anything you can tell me would be great, especially if you're into plumbing etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,156 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think we will give the experts over in DIY a shot at this first :)

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

sounds like the pressure is very high.
    the pipes may not have been bracketed properly and have come loose.

you could throttle down the incoming stop valve. (if the rattling is on the main.)

could be air locked also .
    you realy need the guy who put the new pipes in to come back and check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

ems_12 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

While it might need more than some DIY, I have a problem that I need help on, even if it's a short term solution.

A while ago (2months?), we got some new water pipes installed in the house. They basically brought water from the mains into the house, then joined the old ones at certain points.

Now recently (past few weeks) the pipes have been rattling when we turn on the water, and sometimes just at intervals when the water isn't on. I don't think it's waterhammer, it's actually the pipes themselves making noise.

And yday, we found a leak.

Basically need your help - obviously will have to get a plumber as it's now leaking but anyone have any gems of knowledge as to why the pipes rattle? I think basically it's leaking now because they've shaken around so much. Anything you can tell me would be great, especially if you're into plumbing etc.

While the starting point is to get the guy back as suggested earlier, in case he does not appear a little more intell will help here:

In theory, as per the regs the 'new pipes' from the road should only have been connected in one place, namely to where the rising main enters the house.
    This gives a cold feed to sink in kitchen and then onwards to tank in attic, from where all the rest comes from for the house: the tank feeds the hot water cylinder and all other cold feeds.

So when u say u have a leak, can u be a bit more specific as to where exactly.

While 'throttling back' the stopcock at the road will reduce the flow, it wont reduce the static pressure so if excess pressure is the issue u may need a pressure reducing valve

Given the theory above, and assuming the rattling is as a result of the 'new pipes' the rattling will occur when u run the cold tap in the kitchen and then when other taps are run and the attic tank is re-filled.

If u tie up the ball cock in the attic tank, and then run a cold tap say in bathroom there should be no rattling.

Having said that the rattling will prolly be there until u fix the leak.
    Hope this helps.
    ps I am not a plumber by profession or trade.

Advertisement