Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to prepare for a self build

• 06-03-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,
    Long time reader, only recently started posting on boards.
    I have time on my hands at the minute but I'd like to build my own house in the next year or two. But i'd like to do it right once i decide to start, is there anythign i can be doing in the mean time that will shorten the process, or to get it right?

I was thinking of the site (location etc), the house design stuff like that

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you have time on your hands then you have come to the right place. As you will have seen there are loads of threads here covering pretty much every aspect from looking at sites to hanging the curtains.

Have a look back through the threads and you will get a lot of ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

lemon125 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    i can be doing in the mean time that will shorten the process, or to get it right?
    that

take lots of time now to firm up on your ideas , look at bathroom kitchen showrooms attend all the events you can like the

RDS Home and Gardens Show
    Fly to England to
    http://www.bre.co.uk/page.jsp?id=634

buy self build mags

In other words the clearer the idea of what you want to build before you start , the quicker it will build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 limerickbuild

As both recommended do lots of reading and designing.
    know exactly where you'll put everything in your house.. this helps you make sure your doors windows are positioned so you have space on walls around them for everything... was left a bit tight in a few places, and had i thought about it earlier i wouldn't have it happen.
    of course 2nd, 3rd time you get wiser, but just keep preparing. have decent plans of what you want, locate everything important, and make sure when you get quotes you ask what extras might come up and have either saved for them or get them into the quote. This site is great for advise too so happy reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Small tip, carry a measuring tape around when you go to mates houses if you see a room you like measure it, its very hard to judge the size of a room on plans but if you have notes on sizes of rooms you know then you can say "ah that kitchen is the same size as John's" etc

A curiosity - seen this many times .....

when the ground floor slab is built - you will think building is too small
    when the walls start to rise you will be reassured - maybe the size is fine
    when the all walls are up and roof on but no platering - you may feel sizes are too small after all
    when plastering and decoration is complete - you may think - "cripes it is big"
    when furniture goes in - perfect fit !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So true sinnerboy, parents and brother built in the last few years and they went through each stage of thinking you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lemon125

I am at point zero on the starting scale.
    What should be my first step. I often drive around on a Sunday taking photo's of nice houses i'd like myself.
    Should I start by asking local farmers of any potential sites for sale, or should I go to the bank to see what kind of money they'd give me, or should I spend more time trying to design the perfect house?

site
    money
    design

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

if there is another house already built close to the site you are looking at you could have a chat with the owners, important things to find out are how far down did they have to dig to find decent soil for the foundations (Digging isnt too dear but filling in the hole can be costly) Whats the local services like ie ESB supply, bin collection, school bus that sort of thing. Also as the lads said, design your house in your head, plan each room and take notes.

Advertisement