Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rrp

Options
  • 06-03-2008 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

What is the deal with Recommended Retail Prices, are they legally binding ?

I noticed in my local Spar that a 500ml bottle of coke/sprite etc cost 1.90, compared to the normal 1.35 - 1.45 ... which is a fairly sixeable mark-up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

don't think so, it is only a 'recommended' price. Having said that, it does serve a purpose of embarassing retailers that charge more than the RRP. As in this case of Spar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Leeza

Mully wrote: »
    What is the deal with Recommended Retail Prices, are they legally binding ?

I noticed in my local Spar that a 500ml bottle of coke/sprite etc cost 1.90, compared to the normal 1.35 - 1.45 ... which is a fairly sixeable mark-up

A Recommended retail price comes from the manifacture of the good and it is only a guide line the business can add more to the product if they so wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Leeza wrote: »
    A Recommended retail price comes from the manifacture of the good and it is only a guide line the business can add more to the product if they so wish.
    Or, indeed, less than.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A fixed retail price would be by definition illegal. (price fixing). RRPs are the only thing suppliers can do. Retailers set a price they think the market will bear, higher or lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

RRP is purely a recommended retail price. The retailer is completely free to set any price they wish. Even when something has a great big price printed on the front (This is called price flashing or "flashed", it is not legally binding.

Any attempt to set a mandatory price is illegal under price fixing legislation. The exception to this rule is government MINIMUM pricing for cigarettes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement