Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Question

Options
  • 06-03-2008 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Ok before I head off to work here's a question.

We have a PC and a Mac in the studio, both get regular use but seldom at the same time. I know I can get switchers etc. But is there some way I can network the two and just use the Monitors and Keyboard plugged into one computer to drive the other, or both?

If I can do that, then could I send MIDI from one to the other, or stream audio even?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

studiorat wrote: »

We have a PC and a Mac in the studio, both get regular use but seldom at the same time. I know I can get switchers etc. But is there some way I can network the two and just use the Monitors and Keyboard plugged into one computer to drive the other, or both?

If I can do that, then could I send MIDI from one to the other, or stream audio even?

Jeremy! Get your geeky head in here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You could use VNC or Remote Desktop (only the Windows machine can be a remote desktop server though). This will allow you to bring audio from the server to the client, but probably not from the client to the server (although you could just use file sharing to copy files over and play them on the other machine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

studiorat wrote: »

yes, you need a kvm switch

thatll let you use 1 keyboard, 1 mouse and 1 monitor for both machines

*edit* thatll only work for display keyboard and mouse tho

for streaming youll need to set up a server box maybe, and stream to both from that box

any old piece of turd with a 7200rpm hard drive would do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

So let me see can I get this right.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    You could use VNC or Remote Desktop (only the Windows machine can be a remote desktop server though)

Ok, so the Windows machine is controlled through the Mac so to speak? Two connected with a ethernet cross over cable. So I could use appllications on the PC using the keyboard and monitor on the Mac?

FruitLover wrote: »
    This will allow you to bring audio from the server to the client, but probably not from the client to the server (although you could just use file sharing to copy files over and play them on the other machine)

So I could use samples say from the PC HD to a sampler on my Mac maybe? Don't suppose I could route audio from PC to Mac? Say a synth maybe?

Or have I gotten this all wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

i run 2 macs with one keyboard mouse & screen.
    the machines need to be close to each other though

its a kvm switch
    you can still bounce files around using the network or if no router use firewire connection (appletalk)

vnc would still cause extra strain on one machine

depends on your requirements

there would be some latency if your using samples in realtime over the network (mac-pc cant use appletalk)
    I think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I do remember seeing someone networking to two together. Can't for the life of me remember what he was using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

networking two standalone machines

pc-pc or pc -mac crossover Lan cable but tricky to get it working

mac-mac firewire cable

easier would be to use kvm drive both from same screen&mouse&k/b

Advertisement