Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polytunnel

• 06-03-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

anyone built their own polytunnel ? to buy new the prices seem mad .
    would love to give it a go myself , but have int a clue where to start . not even been in one . any ideas please .:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

bogwarrior wrote: »
    would love to give it a go myself , but have int a clue where to start . not even been in one . any ideas please .:)

I've given it a go usuing wavin water pipe bent into loops at around 3 ft apart,then cover it in clear polythene from the hardware store.the only thing was the polythene wasnt very strong and ripped in the strong winds last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

how do you join the pipes / when the arch is made how does it stay up ? might try this with some strong plastic , or maybe two layers of plastic , what you think .

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Bought one from Simon Kavanagh in Campile New Ross...very cost effective and excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

bogwarrior wrote: »

After trying several homemade affairs I finally gave up and bought a proper polytunnel three years ago. It cost me about €500 for a tunnel 21ft by 12ft. Very solid tubular metal construction, sunk well into the ground, and good strong polythene covering. Building your own is possible I am sure but these structures have to take very strong stresses on our windy island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Aeneas, where did you purchase it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Aeneas, where did you purchase it?

From D-Plant Horticulture, Glenbrien, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford. 054 9136516. Mob 087- 2861221. When I bought it they didn't deliver so it was necessary to pick up the parts with a trailer.

Thanks Aeaneas. I have since been in contact with Simon Cummins in Wexford who delivers. I'll see what their brochure stuff looks like this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

The only thing you will save on is the metal hoops as you will still have to buy the cover. A prover cover is UV resistant and will out last builders polethene by a good number of years and will be more cost effective in the longrun. As for saving money by building your own, it would depend how much the metal hoops cost, if they are rediculously expensive then you couls get 2 and use one at each end and brace them, then try wavin through the middle. The vast majority of the stress would be at the ends.

Does anyone know it incividual hoops can be bought and how much are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Google Morris Poly Tunnels in Omagh. Prices seem very competitive.

Is there prices on Morris site? I have checked.

• Advertisement

Sorry there may not be. I was with him on Monday picking up an 8X6 greenhouse. I got this delivered with horticultural glass for £285. The greenhouse is better quality and a lot cheaper than anything comparable.

He told me he erects poly tunnels all over ireland, and was heading to Tipp later that day to do one.

Heres some prices, these include anti hot spot tape, delivery not included :

10' 0" X 20' 0" 6'6" high = 346.547 EUR

14' 0" X 30' 0" 7'0" high = 496.656 EUR

16' 0" X 36' 0" 8'6" high = 653.008 EUR

These are only a sample from the price list he gave me on Monday.

Also would people be interested in trying to get a "Grow Your Own" section on boards.ie?

thanks ever so much for that detail. Will be givin them a shout to find out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I built my own polythene-covered mini-greenhouse on the cheap about a month ago, false economy really - last Saturday I literally had to run down the back garden and hang on to it for dear life when the wind caught it!

Managed to salvage it however and its still intact after the recent storms. Next year I will definitely erect a proper polytunnel though (decent prices quoted so far). This year is just an experiment to get started at growing stuff indoors.

TheHairyFairy: A 'Grow Your Own' section sounds like a great idea, especially with Peak Oil around the corner.....

I'm involved with a community garden project at the moment. We had considered building our own polytunnel, have found plans online etc. However after seeing the simplicity of a proper tunnel and the strength we've sorta realised it would be a waste of time in the long run.

I've already posted for a "Grow Your Own Forum", add your support @ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055253752

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jameswburke

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Thanks Aeaneas. I have since been in contact with Simon Cummins in Wexford who delivers. I'll see what their brochure stuff looks like this week.

I've seen this guy's small tunnels next to Morgans in Carlow:
    http://www.jmgroundworks.com/polytunnels.html

Seem good as covers for raised beds?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 giggles555

this site seems to have a affordable way of building a polytunnel

http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPages/pp_view.asp?FName=Polytunnel&Page=1

hoping to build this type of tunel meself just tryin to gather up the materials at the minute

Advertisement