Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great wee article

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Does Rangers fans pissing in public really annoy people that much?!

cause tbh, that seems to the main thing people are accusing them of in Barcelona, apart from stupid claims of ****ting in holy water or watever the ****, that werent backed up.

I've pissed in public many times on away European trips, does that make me a thug?

Fans of every club do that sort of thing. i'd wager anyone who says any different is lying, or hasnt been with a masse group of fans travelling across Europe.

Celtic fans would wanna jump right off their ****ing high horse cause i'd bet my left nut that their fans were pissing on the streets in Seville, same way as they piss on the streets of templebar every weekend.

The anti rangers bias in this thread is unbelievable. i dont particularly like Rangers, or Celtic for that matter, but 99% of the allegations being levelled at Rangers fans in this thread are non substantiated and therefore, not relevant.

And tbh, i found the article interesting and good to get a different viewpoint, growing up in ireland, rangers are always painted as practically being lucifer incarnate, hearing that Celtic were afforded amenities and luxuries that Rangers werent, despite their larger numbers, is extremely relevant here, as is the hostility the Spanish police would have had towards the "union jack waving" rangers fans, who had yet to do anything wrong in Barcelona that Celtic,Liverpool,Utd,Chelsea etc etc etc wouldnt also do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Someone posted a Spanish news report the other day. It showed the Celtic fans as jolly folk who are there for a sing song and a party. It then showed a clip of a Rangers fan stumbling down the street after a few too many. Obviously both sets of fans have a completely different reputation with the foreign media.

Speaking as a Celtic fan the vast majority of the fans want to keep the reputations like that. If a Celtic fan is acting like a scumbag, he'll usually be stopped by the rest of the Celtic fans. There was a clip on the Spanish news when Rangers were over there. Loads of fights going on in the background and the rest of the Rangers fans are just drinking like nothing is happening.

There's never much trouble going away with Celtic fans or Irish fans.

This shows how differently both sides are viewed.

http://i28.tinypic.com/653a7q.jpg
    PLEASE DONT COME BACK EVER AGAIN

Mr fans of Glasgow Rangers: Don't come back to Barcelona. Not because your team is a rabble bunch - it is. Its not for that, no. In the Camp Nou, there was the weakest boring rivals, that only defend, run and hit and they shouldn't be in elite competitions. Their defenders are butchers, their midfield players have twisted feet and their forward players are big wardrobes.

But above anything, it would be desirable that Rangers don't ever come back to Barcelona, because everytime they do they make a mess. 35 years ago, you (Rangers followers) wrecked the Camp Nou installations and this time it's been more than 48 hours of brawls, baiting, ruckus, street fighting and drunkeness across the city, which you have soiled at your pleasure.

Stay and puke in your own house, piss on the corners of your living room, fight with your Celtic neighbours (they deserve a prize simply for being able to stand you) and get your dirt on the streets of Glasgow. Don't come back around these parts, because its not amusing. Don't play the Champions League, either. You're lacking for that, on a sporting and human level.

There are noisy fans that, even drinking copious quantities of alcohol, ingratiate themselves to others and make friends. You don't, because you turn the places where you go into waste dumps. You are undesirables. As are the Barcelonistas that sell (or rent) tickets in an fraudulent manner. These people swindle all FC Barcelona. This behaviour annoys the other members of FCB, and generates big trouble. A real Barcelona fan doesn't tout his ticket. If he doesn't go to the match, he gives it to a family member or friend, or even uses the "Empty Seat" service.

From here onwards its the responsibility of the club or UEFA to who they sell the tickets. The most desiarable thing would be that you (Rangers fans), in a moment of clarity, decided not to travel if you don't have tickets. As this is impossible, we have to chase the ones that sell them in an illegal manner. But the best option would be that we will never play Rangers again.

http://i26.tinypic.com/azdhqe.jpg
    CELTIC FANS GIVE AN EXAMPLE OF CIVILITY/POLITENESS

The presence of 10,000 Scottish people in Barcelona ends without any incident.
    The area of enjoyment arranged by the Town Council in Montjuïc didn't dissuade them from wandering and drinking through the city centre streets.

Celtic Glasgow fans' green and white dyed Barcelona’s centre yesterday, especially Plaça de Catalunya and Les Rambles. Hours before the match, in the area Barcelona Town Council had set at the pavilion no. 7 in Montjuïc, there were little more than one thousand Scottish supporters. “Peaceful” is the best word to define the green-and-white fans' behaviour yesterday. The opposite image to that of their fellow citizens supporting Rangers when they visited Barcelona last November, whose bad behaviour was the main character of the day.

Enrique Giné is the owner of Zurich bar, one of the most well known bars in the city centre, and he said that Catholics' behaviour was “correcte” (very good). Some people were fined for drinking in the streets but nobody was arrested.

Yesterday Montjuïc gave 5,000 portions of paella (12€ per dish and only 3,000 were served), more than 1,200 litres of beer (4€ per glass) and organized a place for enjoyment with concerts, games and big screens to watch the match. Supporters think that the value for money that the Town Council had prepared for them was “very good” and some admitted that they didn’t expect “so much hospitality”.

A half of the 10,000 Scots that moved to the Catalan capital didn't have tickets and the pavilion no.7 was the place where they enjoyed the Champions League match against FC Barcelona (Barça). The area around Camp Nou was the main point for Celtic supporters throughout the morning. Ticket prices from touts rose up to 200€ 8 hours before the match. The Mossos d’Esquadra (Catalan police) confiscated 80 of these tickets from Celtic supporters.

There was a lot of beer consumed all day but, unlike Glasgow Rangers fans - whom Celtic supporters call hooligans - they respected the city, and the living-together rules remained all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I dont quite think you get the point here...in fact your probably backing up my original point that you could only benefit from the way Rangers were viewed after the Barca game.

"Oh look here, well make a nice big area where you can bring your obviously non political bands such as Shebeen and Charlie and the Bhoys to sing loveley "celtic minded" songs and we shall give you paella and beer, while you tell us stories of how disgusting and horrible the Rangers fans are, those are the fans which we surrounded with police instead of showing ANY hospitality whatsoever"

Go figure eh?

Eirebear wrote: »
    I dont quite think you get the point here...
    Point? If you read the 8 words I posted you'd have understood the point of the post. You clearly think everything I post has to be to promote Celtic and dis Rangers and therefore that's what you looked for in the post. When you couldn't find it you didn't understand why I posted it. True?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

EB I think this post sums up the full situation.

1. Deluded beyond reason are those who follow the grey and green hoops.

2. Blinkered green tinted specs of the hooped hordes.

3. They get brain washed from birth to death.

The report from 4-4-2 for once is a refreshing read that show's both sides of the story. As always though one side manage to brush it under the carpet, burn it from there memory....

After all they are the greatest supporters in the world....

All football teams have neds, thugs, etc BUT when it comes to Celtic they are only the good old jolly craicsters after all.....

Anyway they don't need to worry about anymore trips abroad this year :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Does Rangers fans pissing in public really annoy people that much?!

I've pissed in public many times on away European trips, does that make me a thug?

Fans of every club do that sort of thing. i'd wager anyone who says any different is lying, or hasnt been with a masse group of fans travelling across Europe.

Theres a massive difference between pissing in public and pissing on national monuments...

http://www.elperiodico.cat/info/galeriasv2/galerias/galeria_966/foto_15269.JPG

Apologies if its been posted already, I havent read the most of the thread and Id rather stay out of the Rangers vs Celtic arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Point? If you read the 8 words I posted you'd have understood the point of the post. You clearly think everything I post has to be to promote Celtic and dis Rangers and therefore that's what you looked for in the post. When you couldn't find it you didn't understand why I posted it. True?

No Eirebhoy, again you have misunderstood me.

I know exactly how Rangers fans were percieved by the Barcalona public, i will not argue that, but you posting the 2 stories did nothing other than confirm this (again).

My point all the way through this thread (which is getting extremely tiring now! ;)) is that Celtic fans...no matter how they were percieved beforehand, were only ever going to benefit from that impression of Rangers supporters for 3 reasons.

1. Peter Lawell is a fantastic PR man, he will turn anything he possibly can into a way of making things look good for celtic, unlike his opposite numbers at Ibrox.
    2. The city of Barcalona realised their mistake and set up plenty of facilities...showing some HOSPITALITY to the Celtic fans.
    3. Celtic fans also knew they could take advantage of this by as the quote says "telling us that the Rangers fans are hooligans".....a few of the posts in here have summed that up too.

FRM: I may not be able to win, but having spent most of my life in a country where Rangers fans a reviled even though i am the first one most of them have met, i am used to going round in circles in these arguments!

FRM wrote: »
    The report from 4-4-2 for once is a refreshing read that show's both sides of the story. As always though one side manage to brush it under the carpet, burn it from there memory...
    Who's brushing what under the carpet? Strange cliche to be using.
    Eirebear wrote: »
    I know exactly how Rangers fans were percieved by the Barcalona public, i will not argue that, but you posting the 2 stories did nothing other than confirm this (again).
    That's all I was doing. That was the point of my post which I quite clearly explained in all of 8 words. ;) Just because you may have already read similar articles doesn't mean everyone else has. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    rangers are always painted as practically being lucifer incarnate.

If it looks like an orc and acts like an orc, then it is an orc and Mordor is in G52 :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It's simple really. Stop looking like English fans, acting like English fans and singing English fans songs and you might get treated better. End of story.

Celtic fans have earned the acceptance of Barcelona citizens by being respectful of their city. On the contrary, Rangers fans treated the place like a rubbish dump. Celtic didn't have to do any bad mouthing of Rangers fans (although I'm sure they enjoyed doing so) as Rangers fans had earned their reputation all by themselves.

If I went on to Follow Follow or wherever with an "article" like that, I'd be ripped to shreds. That "article" was written by someone who doesn't like Celtic -that's as plain as the nose on my face. If you - as a Rangers fan - post stuff written by a Rangers apologist on a message board frequented by a good few Celtic fans, you have to expect the reaction you got.

As for anti-Rangers bias around here - what a load of crap. Take a read at the "Scottish PL discussion thread" (which had a name change especially to keep our fellow SPL clubs' fans happy) to see how welcome Rangers and other fans are. In fact Premiership fans have more than once commented how we all get along pretty well compared with - for example - Man Utd fans in the Liverpool thread, so leave your "Rangers are hard done by" bull**** at the door, thanks.

Advertisement