Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portarlington pride of the town festival

Options
  • 06-03-2008 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

what a load of old donk! what does anybody else think? what gets to me is for years growing up it was called the french festival and it was actually great. that festival ran for years and was in fairness very well run and a great town event. then all of a sudden it stopped one year seemingly after a fallout with the publicans on the comittee. then it came back being called the "millenium festival", now its the "pride of the town" and its more than likely going to be crap, like the rest of "new named" ones. I cant understand why tradition cant be kept up ad call it the french festival again, seems that the towns roots are french and all the architecture is aslo french. Remember how much fun the snail eating competition was???

whats your views townspeople??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

If you remember it was called the Cul festival (fada on the u) at one stage....but yea the french festival was a great weekend, the tug of war over the barrow, the snail eating contest....good times, i guess this is another thing that Port is going down hill in....pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

Snail eating competition was the funniest... the drunkest guy always won !

tug o' war was class aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

I dont remember when it was called the cul festivel. When was that approx? Yeah the festival is gone downhill...... but i beleive it can still be saved!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

stevoman wrote: »
    I dont remember when it was called the cul festivel. When was that approx? Yeah the festival is gone downhill...... but i beleive it can still be saved!!!!!!

2 or 3 years ago it was the cul festival (i think). Will find out though!!! It sounded stupid to people who thought it was the "Cool" festival, i.e. everyone from outside of Port!!!

Steve_o wrote: »
    2 or 3 years ago it was the cul festival (i think). Will find out though!!! It sounded stupid to people who thought it was the "Cool" festival, i.e. everyone from outside of Port!!!

I was away fro that one. Im going to start a demonstartion. WE WANT THE FRENCH FESTIVAL BACK!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

stevoman wrote: »
    I was away fro that one. Im going to start a demonstartion. WE WANT THE FRENCH FESTIVAL BACK!!!

didn't they have a french festival in 2004? when's this pride thing on anyway?

they havnt had a french fesital id say in about 9 years. it was great. loads for all the familys, the pubs buzzing and every house got an internery in through the front door. a real community effort. I dont actually know the date this new shananigan is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

how ye lads, jaysus i remember the french festivals they used to be some crack, it just seemed to give the town a lift when it was on, i think the publicans didnt want to put money into supporting it but yet they seemed to get the most out of it all, laois offaly tug of war used to be brill, i miss them days lads:(:confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I wasnt living in Portarlington when the french festival was on. I do remember ready about the tug of war in the Leinster express though. It looked like a good festival.

Glad to see that their is at least a festival. What it turns out to be really comes down to what locals put into it. If ya want to see a bigger and better festival join the committee.

Hey, i might even join myself. The more people that join the committee the bigger and better festival we'll have. Lets get involved and make the Portarlington festival a great one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

how do we join????:)

• Advertisement

Ruby-J wrote: »
    Don't know yet!!! But i'll find out.

Was thinking, How about we start a new age festival in town. Give it a Dublin\Polish theme for all the newbies in town. So that they don't feel lost down here in the country.. :p:p:p:p:p

we could call it the dulish festival:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

ports best wrote: »
    we could call it the dulish festival:p:p

LMFAO! :D:D:D

Funiest thing i've heard today :D

Lol

jaysus i hope no one gets offended by it doh, some crack wouldnt it be

Ruby-J wrote: »

From my inquiries, there will be no festival this year. I was told if i want to start a committee to get one going i'm more than welcome. I don't think i want that much responsibility.

kikel that would be serious resposibility, it would not be worth it all the **** that would go with it, still fair play to ya for even inquiring

yeah fair play. its a lot more than my moany ass did! good for you. its more people like you that the town need:)

Advertisement