Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice to shut down?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

williejoe wrote: »
    sorry to interrupt guys in this who can piss the highest contest, but my Galway First this morning is 40 pages thick, so that kinda means one of you is wrong. I cant remember but I think its the guy who said it was 20. Please quote correct figures if you're gonna debate.
    Simplesam, it's 40 pages. I have the real copy here now through the door. You're unreal. Oh and where did I get those figures. How about the CRO. Company registration office. Just pay a fiver and they're yours to see.
    Perhaps I should have clarified by saying 10 sheet of paper in the front, and 10 sheets of paper in the back. There are forty pages in it, but its only 20 sheets thick, to clarify for the hard of thinking in the audience. Which is a lot smaller than it used to be. Yeesh.

Both of the above posters seem to be taking the whole thing a little personally tbh. I was just discussing a business model and its soon to be apparent failings, which was and still is highly entertaining, a symptom of the dying celtic tiger and all the financial geniuses that thought they knew how to run a business because they did well in a boom economy.

So you actually paid to see the accounts of a limited company? What exactly is your interest in this debate, do you work for the Advertiser group in any way? Cards on the table, baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

So you actually paid to see the accounts of a limited company? What exactly is your interest in this debate, do you work for the Advertiser group in any way? Cards on the table, baby.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 manonthestreet

Times are bad but...
    Now ss, unfortunately I don't. If you look at posts you'll see that I'm in the numbers side of things. The whole media ownership matter was discussed at a media class lately as all in the class will know and the entire matter was debated open and fair. But do I work in the media business. yes (in a related sort of way) but that should not preclude me from talking about the issue. You are well informed yourself (apart from not being able to count) lol:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

But do I work in the media business. yes (in a related sort of way) but that should not preclude me from talking about the issue.
    No but if you have a vested interest in a topic it helps everyone to know where you are coming from, and the weight to lend to your opinions, in much the same way as you would take a Real Estate Agent's opinions on the property market with a pinch of salt.
    You are well informed yourself (apart from not being able to count) lol:p
    I'm not especially involved in media in Galway (brutally cramped market), but I do have a few companies that work on that end of things elsewhere. Its something you have to know about in business, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 manonthestreet

Fair enough, but then let's just do away with silly nicknames then. Everyone who rights to these boards has some sort of opinion whither its informed or not. that's the beauty of it, we could all be talking sh!t or we could be well informed. good to debate the issues tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 agoodud

The Galway Voice is not great but the Cavan and Monaghan papers were way ahead of anything I have seen in local media in years. Consistently broke stories and had a lot of nationals follow up on their stuff. A real shame but anyone who has seen John Shiels in action should not be surprised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 agoodud

Rachelino wrote: »
    The crux of free papers is that they often have a small editorial team in comparison with the amount of sales staff they have because ads as opposed to news are the commodity. More established freesheets like the Advertiser often have more reporters but are still small compared with dinosaurs like the Connacht Tribune. Those kind of regional papers tend to have huge editorial teams (and even an office in Loughrea in this case).

When you look at it like that the Advertiser and Galway First and the Galway Indo do a pretty good job with the resources they have whereas the old guard should be doing a lot better.

I think a big problem for the Voice group is that they try to run paid-for papers in the style of freesheets. They had a total team of 20 in Cavan, writing, designing and selling ads for both the Monaghan and Cavan Voices. You get what you pay for.

If by chance you mean the quality of the papers in Cavan and Monaghan were poor you are very much mistaken. As I have pointed out they both consistently broke stories including two which were followed up by the national media on their front pages. In fact they got a lot more than what they paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cgi

The Cavan Voice paper was very good indeed but came out of nowhere. It suffered due to a lack of presence but the editorial was better than anything the county had... probably for decades. It actually had news and good journos. Back to the Celt indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cgi

Rachelino wrote: »
    The crux of free papers is that they often have a small editorial team in comparison with the amount of sales staff they have because ads as opposed to news are the commodity. More established freesheets like the Advertiser often have more reporters but are still small compared with dinosaurs like the Connacht Tribune. Those kind of regional papers tend to have huge editorial teams (and even an office in Loughrea in this case).

When you look at it like that the Advertiser and Galway First and the Galway Indo do a pretty good job with the resources they have whereas the old guard should be doing a lot better.

I think a big problem for the Voice group is that they try to run paid-for papers in the style of freesheets. They had a total team of 20 in Cavan, writing, designing and selling ads for both the Monaghan and Cavan Voices. You get what you pay for.

One of the team at the Cavan Voice is a mate of mine, said that they were working 10 hours a day 6/7 days a week, you can't doubt that for commitment and I hadn't seen him since they started so you're "get what you pay for" remark seems harsh to say the least. He said all the editorial side worked all the hours of the day to break stories and I believe they did that in a county that had lazy competition. No one knows the real reason why they closed the four titles but it does seem suspicious to close a paper after 6 months. What business plan has that in its budget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

a 'friend' of mine works in a freesheet......all paid for papers are crap

or

a 'friend' of mine works for a paid for paper.......freesheets are crap

on an unrelated topic this is my 2nd ever post

folks....give it a rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement