Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub in Cork?

Options
  • 06-03-2008 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be visiting Cork City in a couple of weeks with my gf and a few friends.

We are all around the 28-34 age group, so where would be the best place to have a bit of a Saturday afternoon session, then continue on for a bit of music?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Did you need to specify ..in Cork "Desf" in the title. I would have thought if you were asking about the best pub in a Cork forum it was pretty bloody obvious on where you were talking about.

To answer your question, it depends on what kind of pub "in cork" you are looking for "in Cork".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote: »
    Did you need to specify ..in Cork "Desf" in the title. I would have thought if you were asking about the best pub in a Cork forum it was pretty bloody obvious on where you were talking about.
    Oh my, it seems the Cork people are a very welcoming bunch indeed.
    To answer your question, it depends on what kind of pub "in cork" you are looking for "in Cork".
    As I said, just somewhere to have a few good pints on a Saturday afternoon, if the place does decent food more the better, we could have lunch there.

Maybe somewhere that might show some football, but not be rowdy.

Then later in the night, I like to have a bit of an aul dance, so anywhere that has a decent dj playing alright music, not that pop crap or "unce unce" stuff though.

Any ideas "gimmick"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭veronica

Hi
    The most popular pub at the moment is the Crane lane just by the GPO off Oliver Plunkett St.Its a late bar open 7 days until 2am. If u are aged between 20-30s then washington street has all the bars for u. Hope this helps.

We are a very welcoming people, but when people ask stupid questions, we tend to react accordingly.

So, I reckon you should check out the Catwalk. Good for all ages throughout the day.

And "Desf", as a mod surely you should know to use the search function as there have been many an asinine thread like this before.

And "Desf", as a mod surely you should know to use the search function as there have been many an asinine thread like this before.
    Indeed, but I was trying to capture the "zeitgeist" of the current crop of trendy residents of your city, the "pub of the moment", if you will.

The Catwalk, you say?

And where would this den of iniquity be located?

• Advertisement

Town.

Town.
    You are so....downright rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

DesF wrote: »
    The Catwalk, you say?

And where would this den of iniquity be located?

That would be the last pub I would ever go to in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I'll be visiting Cork City in a couple of weeks with my gf and a few friends.We are all around the 28-34 age group, so where would be the best place to have a bit of a Saturday afternoon session, then continue on for a bit of music?Thanks!

Oliver Plunkett St has many pubs on the street and off the side roads. Paul Street & Washington St are two others. This should help.

Have a good stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

You should probably want to start queing now if you wanna get into Reardens, ridiculous queues!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

+ ridiculous prices + ridiculous bar staff + ridiculous bouncers + ridiculous crowd in there..

There's very little about Reardens that isn't shockingly bad.

Also, as has been said above, I wouldn't dare to into catwalk wi'out me burberry an' me nike air's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

As I said, just somewhere to have a few good pints on a Saturday afternoon, if the place does decent food more the better, we could have lunch there.

I'm not a fan of Scotts at night, but as a place to have a pint, watch the rugby, and have a bite on a wet Saturday you could do far worse. It's on Oliver Plunkett street. You can't miss it. Daycent food there too.

Crane lane is good, but it will be packed after 11pm. Sin é, the Oval and Mutton lane are three of my favourite haunts - all owned by the same chap. Great music at a volume which you can talk over.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Crane Lane isn't a bad spot.
    The Oval on South Main Street is my favourite spot for whileing away a Saturday afternoon, gets very busy at night though.
    Actually, everywhere is too busy on Saturday nights.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

shnaek wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Scotts at night, but as a place to have a pint, watch the rugby, and have a bite on a wet Saturday you could do far worse. It's on Oliver Plunkett street. You can't miss it. Daycent food there too.

Crane lane is good, but it will be packed after 11pm. Sin é, the Oval and Mutton lane are three of my favourite haunts - all owned by the same chap. Great music at a volume which you can talk over.

good post shnaek - Stick to these DesF.

rymus wrote: »
    + ridiculous prices + ridiculous bar staff + ridiculous bouncers + ridiculous crowd in there..

To be fair, Reardens bar staff are excellent. You are rarely waiting too long, and the bar counter is always dry and tidy. The rest i agree with completely. Especially the bouncers.

Story. One night myself and Mrs Gimmick were going there for some reason, 4 blokes ahead of us are walking in, but the bouncer stops them and tells them that they have to drink water as their first drink as they are "already on a yellow card", and "if i see ye falling around or even stumbling, ye are out". Idiots still went in. True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bunnywabbit*

Fred Zepplins :) Or locally I'd prefer to go to The Tory Top or Turners Cross Tavern after work... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Do you like soccer Des?
    Cork City are at home on Friday night if you came down then. there are some great pubs near there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement