Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting an amstaff in ireland?? help please

Options
  • 06-03-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

hi guys just wondering if anyone knows where i could get an american staffordshire terrier i been looking everywhere:( i love these dogs so much and have been dealing with dogs from a young age so training is no problem plz any1 with any info plz help...ps i do not want a staffordshire bull terrier or an american pit bull terrier just incase anybody mistakes them:Dcheers thanks alot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

ya man da pic in the first reply is one of them the are similar to pitbulls without the so-called "game" in them i wanted a pit but my family is afraid of them the dont understand it not the dog its the way its raised its enviorment etc lot of them ads are form america can i like import one or something??? thanks for your help davey180

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

No such dog as an American Staffie

u are mistaken i suggest you search american staffordshire terrier on a search engine and then come back to me dont say things b4 u are 100% on them mate

• Advertisement

No such dog as an American Staffie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Staffordshire_Terrier

read it man:)

I stand corrected, never knew they were a regesterd breed.

ya man there just not very easy 2 get ur hands on and u cannot register in ireland i saw a litter advertised in limerick but by the time i saw them the were all gone im guessin u own a staffie urself man ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Would you consider rescuing one? Try egar.org

Lots of lovely terriers.

Text speak is pretty hard to read, particularly if you are old, like me.

Just wondering, is the house you live in yours? What will happen to the dog when you move out?

pecker1992 wrote: »
    ya man there just not very easy 2 get ur hands on and u cannot register in ireland i saw a litter advertised in limerick but by the time i saw them the were all gone im guessin u own a staffie urself man ya?

Yes i am a proud Staffie owner. Pics in picture thread (Max)
    A friend of mine was looking for a Canary dog for ages, He got one last year in Cork. real nice rare dog

• Advertisement

lightning i will check egar for an amstaff thanks...no i live with my parents and when i move out which will not be for a while the dog will come with me i have passion for dogs but unfortunatley i am restictied as to what i can bring into my parents home because they do not fully understand pit-bulls rotties dobes etc mind you they dont seem to feel the same about staffies and max is a lovely staffie m8 a credit to the way u look after him....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Best of luck with your dog then pecker.

lightning i will check egar for an amstaff thanks...no i live with my parents and when i move out which will not be for a while the dog will come with me i have passion for dogs but unfortunatley i am restictied as to what i can bring into my parents home because they do not fully understand pit-bulls rotties dobes etc mind you they dont seem to feel the same about staffies and max is a lovely staffie m8 a credit to the way u look after him....

Cheers man, have loads more pics i should post up.
    He realy is a member or the family, would be devestated if anything happened to him

ya man da pic in the first reply is one of them the are similar to pitbulls without the so-called "game" in them i wanted a pit but my family is afraid of them the dont understand it not the dog its the way its raised its enviorment etc lot of them ads are form america can i like import one or something??? thanks for your help davey180
    no prob as they are difficult too get probably due the ban on them in the parts of USA and i dont really know which states.yes there is such breed of dog american staffie as it already proven but im not sure as they call em pit bull in USA and there is a lot of differant stories to what breed they really are.I have a the irish staffodshire and a lovey bulldog both males and they are great together,and my 3 kids no bother at all very friendly but i still keep a watchfull eye on them.good luck on your mission to find your dog cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

American Staffies and Pit Bulls are still dually registered in the States, ie same dog but two sets of papers as they descend from the same type dog. The AmStaff is the show version of the APBT, heavier set and usually more placid and not as jumpy :D. There are a few here in Ireland and I have two in rescue at present. However, be wary of breeders advertising AmStaffs as many x breed APBT x AmBull and then call them AmStaffs ;)

EGAR wrote: »
    American Staffies and Pit Bulls are still dually registered in the States, ie same dog but two sets of papers as they descend from the same type dog. The AmStaff is the show version of the APBT, heavier set and usually more placid and not as jumpy :D. There are a few here in Ireland and I have two in rescue at present. However, be wary of breeders advertising AmStaffs as many x breed APBT x AmBull and then call them AmStaffs ;)

hello there thanks for the information on that mr friend,i would love to adopt one of your dogs in foster but the problem is that i feel i need a very young dog as to train him/her in proper socialization with or 2 dogs both bitches 8 & 15 years old the 8 year old is a mongrel and very gentle but the 15 year old is a full bred ****-tzu & very stuck in her ways and will get very stubborn if another dog tries to go near the 8 year old needless to say we only have her 2 years took her off my grandparents when they couldnt take care of her any more now i would personally adopt any dog but my parents have alot of disbelievings about staffies pit-bulls etc tho the funny thing is that they were originally bred against human aggression because if in the middle of a dog fight (disgusting barbaric so called "sport") the owner decieded to stop he/she had to be able to get in the middle without getting attacked if you have any more advice it would be much appreciated:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

hello pecker,i like you love amstaffs and was on a misson to buy one but honestly i havent came across any genuine amstaffs like egar said many of them are pits not staffs and the litter you saw advertised in Limerick was a woman who had just crossed her mastiff and staff to get the amstaff not sure if thats what you were looking for but i wasnt.At present there is a bloke selling a male american bull terrier on the buyandsell he might he worth giving a call and asking about the dog.
    Why are you looking for a amstaff may i ask and not a staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

hello pecker,i like you love amstaffs and was on a misson to buy one but honestly i havent came across any genuine amstaffs like egar said many of them are pits not staffs and the litter you saw advertised in Limerick was a woman who had just crossed her mastiff and staff to get the amstaff not sure if thats what you were looking for but i wasnt.At present there is a bloke selling a male american bull terrier on the buyandsell he might he worth giving a call and asking about the dog.
    Why are you looking for a amstaff may i ask and not a staff?

I'd wonder that too. Plus, unless I'm mistaken, the OP is a juvenile and probably should not be allowed a "serious" animal as this while too young to take the consequences in the unlikely event it eats someones baby.

i am looking for an amstaff because it is the only 1 my parents will allow i will try theperson in the buy and sell man thanks alot and as for u nipple nuts i have been born & raised with the most "so called" vicious dogs german shepards rottweilers dobermanns etc since the a
    very young age ive had alot of dogs and ive trained at least 4 of them so i suggest u rethink ur last comment i am a passionate dog lover and just because u dont know me u decide i am a juvenile i belive u are very mistaken!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'm not having a go at you dear child, but were you born in 1992? Yes? Then you are a juvenile. That and the fact that your parents decide is confirmation of my suspicion. It does not mean you are a bad person, just that you are a young person.

• Advertisement

im a bit confused by you saying your parents will only let you get a amstaff....What do they think is wrong with the normal staffs? Infact i would have thought they would turn away from an amstaff as there far bigger and muscular compared to staffs!

just goes to show u man u are realy quick 2 jump 2 conclusions nipplenuts im actually 18 turning 19 in a months time that 1992 is just the year of one of my favourite songs it helps me to remember my username for all the sites i use:Dand to be honest i thought the same phoenix ski but it"s their house and as long as im under their house its their rules personally i wouldnt mind any of the three but they only agreed to an amstaff so im more than happy there personally i prefer them aswell:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

just get a staffie and they wont know the difference anyway, and temperment wont be a problem either..so your covered there.

personally i think you just want a big staff :rolleyes:, otherwise your parents are just plain ignorant and cant tell that staffs and am staffs are almost the same bar size, and the bigger am staff is potentialy more dangerous to its bigger size.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

first off watch your mouth and dont call my parents ignorant i find you ignorant to make such a shallow remark secondly they are not stupid we bred dogs for years and they most certianly would no the difference...thirdly i am aware of the staffie temperment and this is my third or fourth time saying it i wouldnt mind either but its theur house,their rules... dude i started this thread to get help looking for one anybofy know the laws on importing one???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

first off watch your mouth

Whoo hoo, way ta' make friends around here boy'o!.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I'm not having a go at you dear child, but were you born in 1992? Yes? Then you are a juvenile. That and the fact that your parents decide is confirmation of my suspicion. It does not mean you are a bad person, just that you are a young person.
    why are you calling pecker1992 dear child he must be over 18 eg ADULT!

cowzerp wrote: »
    just get a staffie and they wont know the difference anyway, and temperment wont be a problem either..so your covered there.

personally i think you just want a big staff :rolleyes:, otherwise your parents are just plain ignorant and cant tell that staffs and am staffs are almost the same bar size, and the bigger am staff is potentialy more dangerous to its bigger size.
    oh dear now you said it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

davey180 wrote: »
    oh dear now you said it!

I'll have a word with Cowzer TONIGHT

But I'll be roaring through a cage at him so he may not hear me!.

Well if your thinking about importing one you may want to think again. Firstly it would be very costly in time and money. Because you would have to go to America to find a suitable dog (im guessing that you would do this as anybody with a bit of sense would as you wouldnt no what kind of dog you were getting,if you would even get a dog at all etc.) Shipping costs etc not to meantion that America isnt a rabies free country like Ireland and England so the dog would be tested for such things before even being let near a plane to Ireland which can take up some months.

So with all that considered im not sure if importing from America would be your cup of tea. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

first off watch your mouth and dont call my parents ignorant i find you ignorant to make such a shallow remark secondly they are not stupid we bred dogs for years and they most certianly would no the difference...thirdly i am aware of the staffie temperment and this is my third or fourth time saying it i wouldnt mind either but its theur house,their rules... dude i started this thread to get help looking for one anybofy know the laws on importing one???

For 1 i did not use my mouth, i used my keyboard, i never said your parents are stupid and your the 1 making them out to be ignorant of the facts-accept it as it is, there house there rules!!! i'll repeat what i said, i believe you want to boast about having an am staff, if im wrong and your parents arent ignorant-what is the actual reason for them wanting the bigger more dangerous dog? :confused:

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement