Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers in Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Travellers have their good and their bad like every community. There are travellers I would steer well clear of (so would the majority of their own community) and travellers I would never pass in the street without stopping to say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Travellers have their good and their bad like every community. There are travellers I would steer well clear of (so would the majority of their own community) and travellers I would never pass in the street without stopping to say hello.

Well put, :cool:

foreigners and travelers working as a team i heard.

Or .. or .. or .. foreign travellers!
    When I told him to be on his way he asked me if I wanted to buy some DVDs or wire.

We used to get them coming up to us when we lived in Barna asking if we needed any work done around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I don't think its fair to think/presume they robbed the place. Its obviously an easy target when a whole community heads off to such an event as an All-Ireland. (Not many people would know about this especially if you were from Mayo)

I have to say its a disgrace how they are not moved on by now. They are there long enough.

sgthighway wrote: »
    I don't think its fair to think/presume they robbed the place. Its obviously an easy target when a whole community heads off to such an event as an All-Ireland. (Not many people would know about this especially if you were from Mayo)

I have to say its a disgrace how they are not moved on by now. They are there long enough.

But if you try to move them, they'd probably try and sue and get thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

JustMary wrote: »
    I've heard of local councils not even providing the basic facilities that they agreed to provide at halting sites.

I've seen people living in some mightily uninsulated caravans in winter .. and you know how cold it gets here in winter.
    I think the general population will be able to tell you how they've heard a traveller describe the hardships they face at the hands of the civil parts of society. While at the very same time I know of a traveller family not too far away who were awarded a brand new house from the council and then moved their caravan in to the garden, brought horses in to the house, while the family slept in their caravan. I wouldn't call that very greatful. I don't know any non-member of the travelling community that did the same thing.
    I've seen them banned from pubs even when they're not going to cause trouble
    Two words: "Knacker Funeral", ... and why does that ring a bell for so many people, well it's probably because it wasn't an isolated incident. Probability of behaviour doesn't do them any favors. Hands up who has a story...

Trouble exists outside the traveller community also. For example after hours in many pubs and clubs across the country every weekend you will have fights breaking out between non-members and sometimes members of the travelling community. Again everyone will have a story of this happening. It wasn't an isolated incident, it's probable and subsequently most venues will have security staff at hand to control the situation if things get out of hand, as a result. My point. If it's probable, it's a concern.
    Put all that together, and it's no wonder that kids from Traveller backgrounds grow up with a mighty chip on their shoulders, and a fierce anger about how badly treated they are, and that this comes out in their behaviour for the rest of their lives.
    I have a simple solution. Channel that anger and energy back in to punishing those other members of the traveller community that give them all a bad name.

In my own job a few years ago where I worked was often visited by traveller children. One day one of the kids was messing, and trying to annoy me. I told him to clear off and watch his manners. In the middle of me doing that his mother shows up and starts literally slapping him in the face, then punching him in the head as he tried to defend himself. I stood there in shock. I almost felt guilty, but then again "clear off" is as far as I would have gone because he was a kid. So I don't think anyone can blame their use of violence, solely as a response to their treatment by civil society.

ve wrote: »
    While at the very same time I know of a traveller family not too far away who were awarded a brand new house from the council and then moved their caravan in to the garden, brought horses in to the house, while the family slept in their caravan. I wouldn't call that very greatful. I don't know any non-member of the travelling community that did the same thing.
    The whole travelling culture is built around just that ... travelling! While some have settled happily, many still feel imprisoned and tied down by an ordinary house. Many will settle fairly happily at halting sites or similar, because they still have their caravans ... if the urge to move on becomes too strong, they can still do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

The whole travelling culture is built around just that ... travelling! While some have settled happily, many still feel imprisoned and tied down by an ordinary house. Many will settle fairly happily at halting sites or similar, because they still have their caravans ... if the urge to move on becomes too strong, they can still do so.
    So...and I'm quite positive you're expecting this question...based on my example above....why would such a traveller family take up space on a waiting list for a council house if they feel "imprisoned and tied down by an ordinary house"?

If I went looking for a house, was awarded a house, and brought horses in to my house, and stayed in a caravan out the front while the animals stayed inside, do you think my neighbours would be saying "poor thing, sure he's imprisoned in that house, those lads in the council are such bastards giving him what he asked for".

Are you serious?

So...and I'm quite positive you're expecting this question...based on my example above....why would such a traveller family take up space on a waiting list for a council house if they feel "imprisoned and tied down by an ordinary house"?

If I went looking for a house, was awarded a house, and brought horses in to my house, and stayed in a caravan out the front while the animals stayed inside, do you think my neighbours would be saying "poor thing, sure he's imprisoned in that house, those lads in the council are such bastards giving him what he asked for".

Are you serious?
    Whether someone in the family actually put their name down on the housing list (it does happen that they convince themselves they're ready, only to find otherwise), or whether some social worker persuaded them it was the thing to do, or whether they actually applied for a halting site place but there wasn't sufficient provision, or whether they had to have a "fixed abode" in order to get their children into a school or for some other reason, or what the story is, I don't know ... surprisingly enough, I'm not completely au fait with the case of a travelling family "not too far away from" you.

What is obvious is that the Council allocated the house without actually evaluating whether it was the right solution ... and unlike you, councils know from long experience the intricacies of housing travellers, but they often choose to ignore that experience and indeed the input of their own professional staff because developing a plan that might actually work usually means offending the NIMBY brigade and losing votes for the councillors.

I'm not suggesting that the situation you describe is any kind of ideal scenario ... in fact, I'm saying the opposite, and that it should never have been allowed to happen in the first place.

And sarcasm >! actually taking the time to understand something about a different culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Are you serious?

Here's a novel approach give them (and any wasters on the dole) nothing until they work and start paying taxes like the rest of us in the real world !
    How anyone expects these comforts in the first place without working a day in their life really grinds my gears..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

awhir wrote: »
    lol in there terms i think its called "mased"

Nah that'd be the non-travelling knackers. The actual traveling ones wouldn't tend to use that word. In Galway, anyway, dunno about elsewhere.

I, like someone else in this thread went to school with a few travellers and found them to be grand, sat beside one for two years and apart from smelling a bit he was as nice as anyone to sit beside. However, this family would be one of the more notorious around Galway so I can well believe that guy's caused a lot of trouble since. It's just handy knowing them, I guess.

Still, I think much, much, much more trouble (and I'm speaking from complete personal experience, I've been mugged a few times and had to run for my life a few times too) is caused by...I don't want to say settled travellers as they're simply not settled travellers, these are knackers who aren't from any travelling family or council house or anything at all. They're just knackers. At least (in my experience) actual travellers, while violent, wont generally go around purely to pick a fight or mug people. There a good hundred lads in Galway alone who do this, and apart from a few "MacDonnaghs" none of them are travellers as far as I know. From rough areas of the city mostly, but nothing to do with travellers. Open yer eyes guys, tonnes of knackers around, but they're simply not travellers, and it's wrong to throw them in the same basket.

Oh, and to everyone starting their post with "I'm not a racist" ye...ye realize travellers aren't a different race, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Here's a novel approach give them (and any wasters on the dole) nothing until they work and start paying taxes like the rest of us in the real world !
    How anyone expects these comforts in the first place without working a day in their life really grinds my gears..

I've come to the conclusion that in Ireland the lazier you are, the more help you get from the Government. Seriously, why the feck do we even work these days? :rolleyes:

Fobia - Went to Pats did ye? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Fobia - Went to Pats did ye? :D

Nope, Endas, but I think I know the lads yer on about...the finest of Christmas trees ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Fobia wrote: »
    Nope, Endas, but I think I know the lads yer on about...the finest of Christmas trees ;)

Holla Holla!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dudis

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Holla Holla!
    HOLLA HOLLA! WANNA BUYA HIFI!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We had "Travellers" renting the flat across the hall from us for 2 and a half years. We quickly learned to have nothing but bills delivered to us and had anything else (even stuff that might look like a birthday card) delivered to work.

When one of their babies was crying they used to put it out into the communal hall for all of us to endure.

They'd fire their rubbish (lit cigarettes, half eaten bags of chips) out of the window. The main problem with this is that the front door is right below their window. Fun!

They were too lazy to go around to the bins so they'd leave their bin bags full of nappies outside their door in the hall with the puke inducing smell of baby diarrhea permeating our flat.

They'd have screaming matches in the hallway, one day this culminated in her threatening to f*** the child down the stairs after him if he didn't come back.

They used to beat each other and the children regularly in plain view of the rest of the residents. One of my other neighbours rang the police and was told that they don't involve themselves in traveler feuds! She than rang social services who pretty much told her the same thing.

They moved a load of their friends' caravans and trailers into the carpark. Thankfully at that stage I didn't have a car myself because there were children jumping all over the cars that were there. When the management agency finally got rid of them, they wouldn't say who let them in.

This is probably the worst: They used to have karaoke parties on Tuesday nights!

I cracked the day I left the flat to go to work and there was a dangerous looking drunk guy in the hallway, the spas had jammed the downstairs door open and the light was on and he'd wandered in.

I spilled my guts like the rat I am to the management agency. It was another 3 months before they were finally evicted because the landlord had no issue with them they kept the flat itself really well and paid the rent on time (which is astounding, or not, because neither of them worked at all).

Anyway, long story short. I used to be very sympathetic to the Traveller "cause" until I had to live beside these child-abusing, robbing, twunts and having all of these encounters with them and their vastly extended families has given be a severe anti-traveller prejudice. If they were a different race I would certainly be classed as racist against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

I've just dived back in again, and I i'm surprised to see that it hasn't been locked.

It's just that these kinds of threads don't take long to spiral out of control and reasoning fairly quickly usually. Perhaps I should have more faith in the other members of our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ya, tbh I expected it to be mased by now. Lets all leave to a GAA match.

gufcfan wrote: »
    I've just dived back in again, and I i'm surprised to see that it hasn't been locked.

It's just that these kinds of threads don't take long to spiral out of control and reasoning fairly quickly usually. Perhaps I should have more faith in the other members of our society.

So people aren't allowed to talk about their bad experiences with the travelling community?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So people aren't allowed to talk about their bad experiences with the travelling community?
    Not unless it balanced.

I had a great experience:
    A member of the travelling community gladly took away some rubbish from our house (old tree stumps) for £20 (it was a while back).

I also had a bad experience:
    When a number of travellers left a field they had stopped in, they left behind all manor of industrial waste which polluted the area, and cost the council a small fortune to clean up.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 cmcd

Zulu wrote: »
    Not unless it balanced.

A member of the travelling community gladly took away some rubbish from our house (old tree stumps) for £20 (it was a while back).

Cheap, well done.:rolleyes: Where do you think he dumped them?

cmcd wrote: »
    Cheap, well done.:rolleyes: Where do you think he dumped them?
    Huh, clearly humour isn't a strong point for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Travellers are human rats. They breed like rabbits and leech off ordinary decent people. If they where all executed tomorrow the world would be a much much better place. Scum.

There that should get this thread locked.

lol :D
    Now that's funny.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Zulu wrote: »
    Not unless it balanced.

I also had a bad experience:
    When a number of travellers left a field they had stopped in, they left behind all manor of industrial waste which polluted the area, and cost the council a small fortune to clean up.

:)

Bwah ha ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Speaking of Travellers, these lads are sound, fairly nice people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQzYnbljZ9Y

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

At the recent Tuam funeral of the murdered traveller, all the pubs closed................'out of respect' :rolleyes:

If a non traveller was being buried I can't see the local pubs closing 'out of respect'

If a law was brought in that ALL individuals on the dole had to work for the state for 30 hours a week in order to get welfare then ......well Im sure that would impact the travelling community.

PS, on welfare ANY individual who is on welfare (not sickness benefits etc) should only be entitled to so much welfare in a year and a lifetime. (eg) 10 weeks welfare in any 12 month period and 60 weeks in a lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

And another thing

Of course a certian amount in any community will give the rest a bad name but even or overly liberal friends here will admit (well actually they won't) taht there is a higher percentage of anti-social behaviour amongst travellers

Have a friend who works with domestic abuse in Limerick and the percentage of travellers is crazy.

I find that in the main the anti social behaviour is nearly always caused by males as opposed to the females...proof......read the court pages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Alcohol.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement