Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading old PC RAM

Options
  • 06-03-2008 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Quick question as I'm not 100% on this and dont want to get in trouble with the boss.

I have an old PC, mainboard is an Intel i810E, and a P3 (600MHz) that we want to upgrade to XP. However, the RAM is only 64MB, as this pc is only running NT at the moment.

The mainboard will take PC100 RAM, but I have PC133 RAM.

Is PC133 backwards compatible to PC100?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I think i can help you out here. I came into posession of a few old pc's the other day, all with 2x 64mb pc100 dimms. If you want you are more then welcome to have some of the ram, as im about to scrap the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

folan wrote: »

Is PC133 backwards compatible to PC100?

In most cases Yes.

Cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Cheers lads, I'll stick in the 133 and check it out,

Anti, thanks for the offer, but I'm grand as we were going to scrap some 133 pcs but thought this would be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It should be compatible unless it's ECC or something fancy. I think the i810 is pretty limited in respects of what DIMMs it can take though - from my experience it won't accept double-sided DIMMs (tried a double-sided 512MB DIMM and it wouldn't POST - or maybe it just doesn't like DIMMs that big regardless). The manual for the motherboard will probably list what combinations it can take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Hey zilog, cheers for the heads up. thankfully, no double sided.
    i eventually found the manual and it turns out this mainboard WILL take PC133, and its max is 512MB. So thankfully Im well below. Although that could cause a problem in the future.

Thanks again lads!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cal wrote:
    In most cases Yes.
    Apart from certain intel chipsets that wouldn't accept all PC100 RAM,

BTW: I swapped an XP HDD into a P3 , it was painfully slow so tbh I'd stick 2000 on it.

From a licensing point of view you could probably sell the transferrable XP license for more than it would cost to buy a old PC that has an OEM XP license on it.

Advertisement