Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Cross Buns!

• 06-03-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a good recipe? resulting in a nice soft bun please! Also i hate cinnamon, so would it be better to leave it out altogether, or just use a little to get that spice taste (i think i'd chance using some mixed spice or something instead)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

These are nice!

1 lb strong flour
    1/2 oz dried yeast
    1/2 pint water
    3 oz soft brown sugar
    1 level tsp salt
    2 level tsp mixed spice
    2 oz butter
    3oz currants
    1 oz sultanas
    1 oz mixed peel

For the cross:
    1 oz plain flour
    2 dessertspoons milk
    1 level dessertspoon sugar (caster)

Put the yeast and 1 level tsp. of the brown sugar in a small bowl, Warm the water to body temp and mix HALF into the yeast. Leave in a warm place fo 10 minutes until the yeast has dissolved and a thick froth on top.
    Add the rest of the sugar to the remaining water.
    Meanwhile, sift the flour, salt and mix spice together, rub in the butter and then form a well in the center.
    Pour in the yeast , and the sugar and water mix.
    Mix this to a soft dough and work in the fruit until the dough is smooth.
    Place in a large bowl (grease the bowl first) and cover with a damp tea towel.
    Leave in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until the mixture has doubled in size.

Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knock it back to its original size (Don't over work it or it becomes heavy). Cut it into 18 pieces and form a bun shape. (these will seem small but don't worry as they will need to "prove" again)
    Meanwhile mix the plain flour with some water to make a thick batter, place in a freezer bag and snip one corner to form a piping bag and pipe a cross on each one.
    Place buns in a warm place to prove for about 15 - 20 mins.
    Bake on the middle shelf of a hot oven Gas mk.7 / 220c / 425f for 15 - 20 minutes until golden.
    Finally Dissolve the caster sugar in the milk and bring it to the boil. As soon as the buns are cooked, brush them with this glaze.

Allow to cool slightly, lock the doors and take the phone off the hook, Boil the kettle and relax with a cup of tea. Alot of work but worth it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Thanks mildews, sounds great, i'm gonna try those ASAP!

Advertisement