Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2008

Options
  • 06-03-2008 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Reading thru an focail and I see that its coming to that time again. Christ has it been that long since we got you elected Shay? I realise yore campaign manager might have something else to say but the cat pics were our idea and the chics loved it

I see St. John and Al Higgins can't run again?

And you Shay have said that you won't take on a second term? Guess Ms. Breen is putting pressure on you to give up that nice corner office you have :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Is Eoin Kelly running for president again this year. I remember some of his promotions last year were dodgy, to say the least.

Is there a 2-year limit for the Prez as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

as a former student off-campus im curious as to who is running for what this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

kerry4sam wrote: »
    as a former student off-campus im curious as to who is running for what this year?
    From what I gathered, the nominations haven't begun yet.

Someone will no doubt confirm/fix that for me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

kaimera wrote: »
    And you Shay have said that you won't take on a second term? Guess Ms. Breen is putting pressure on you to give up that nice corner office you have :p
    Yes. Yes she is. She's been waiting to put her bum on that seat since, as DeepThroat pointed out, September 2004 :p

By "she" I mean "I"...Aoife #1 for PPO ;)
    kerry4sam wrote:
    It's pre-nominations as of yet, but those who have expressed an interest include...
    President Patrick O'Brien, Patrick McHugh, Oisin Collins
    Deputy Pres/Welfare Caitriona McGrattan
    VP/Education....?
    VP/Campaigns and Services Damien Cahill
    VP/Publications and Publicity Me = Aoife Breen :)
    Is Eoin Kelly running for president again this year.
    As far as I'm aware he is no longer a registered student at UL (he was in 4th year last year) and therefore is not eligible for election.
    Is there a 2-year limit for the Prez as well?
    Two year limit for any one office; but you can do two years as Pres, then two as Education, then two as Welfare...etc...:eek:
    From what I gathered, the nominations haven't begun yet.

Nominations open tomorrow morning at 9am and close next Thursday at 5pm. Campaigning may begin after that with the election taking place on Thursday, 27 March.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Memori

Two year limit for any one office; but you can do two years as Pres, then two as Education, then two as Welfare...etc...:eek:

I was vice-pres, welfare in CIT before coming here and we had a vice-pres, education who was on his 2nd year and then ran for and got voted in as president for the following 2 years. 4 years of union.... wow. he knew the academic council better than the college did.

• Advertisement

It's pre-nominations as of yet, but those who have expressed an interest include...
    President Patrick O'Brien, Patrick McHugh, Oisin Collins
    Deputy Pres/Welfare Caitriona McGrattan
    VP/Education....?
    VP/Campaigns and Services Damien Cahill
    VP/Publications and Publicity Me = Aoife Breen :)

can i ask what other clubs/socieites are those mentioned above in? There are normally some politics/law soc involved in SU elections just wanna see of its the same in UL this year

can i ask what other clubs/socieites are those mentioned above in? There are normally some politics/law soc involved in SU elections just wanna see of its the same in UL this year

President - Patrick O'Brien is in Enviro Soc; Paddy McHugh is outgoing CSO and former Clubs' Officer 06/07; Oisin Collins is current Chair of C&S Council...

DP/Welfare - Caitríona McGrattan is President of the charity society, UL Outreach (formerly SVP)

VP/CSO - Damian Cahill is President of Skydive UL

VP/PPO - Me/Aoife Breen is holds position of Editor on Journo Soc (it's only new since last semester...I was one of the founding members) and member of DebU...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

President - Patrick O'Brien is in Enviro Soc; Paddy McHugh is outgoing CSO and former Clubs' Officer 06/07; Oisin Collins is current Chair of C&S Council...

DP/Welfare - Caitríona McGrattan is President of the charity society, UL Outreach (formerly SVP)

VP/CSO - Damian Cahill is President of Skydive UL

VP/PPO - Me/Aoife Breen is holds position of Editor on Journo Soc (it's only new since last semester...I was one of the founding members) and member of DebU...

1x Sports Science, 2x HPSS, 1x Business...what course is Patrick O'Brien in?
    3 class reps there I notice also

Did I spot bluedolphin in javas yesterday evening discussing campaign strategy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Is Eoin Kelly running for president again this year. I remember some of his promotions last year were dodgy, to say the least.

Ya the one and only warning I got on this board in my 4 years here was talking about him and his campaign last year, I wasnt too impressed with him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

cooperguy wrote: »
    I wasnt too impressed with him!!

Why? Is he a Jew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I realise yore campaign manager might have something else to say but the cat pics were our idea and the chics loved it
    Ah, the cat pics. I liked the 's for seamus' posters better myself (also your idea) but the cat pics went down a treat. Cats kill ducks when they've nothing else to do.
    And you Shay have said that you won't take on a second term?
    Pretty emphatic that I'd like to finish the degree course next year. Remember that course thing?

rmacm wrote: »
    Why? Is he a Jew?
    ish :D

Go to youtube and find his "comedy" videos on UL. That should be all the explaining you need.

rmacm wrote: »
    Why? Is he a Jew?
    <mod cough>See, I know you're being ironic but not all of the other visitors do</mod cough>

cooperguy wrote: »
    ish :D

Go to youtube and find his "comedy" videos on UL. That should be all the explaining you need.

I've seen them, they were about as funny as a prolapsed hemorrhoid.
    sceptre wrote: »
    <mod cough>See, I know you're being ironic but not all of the other visitors do</mod cough>

Ok I'll be good. BTW before anyone asks I'm not relearning DSP to teach anyone. That module has cursed me to this day :/

klong wrote: »
    1x Sports Science, 2x HPSS, 1x Business...what course is Patrick O'Brien in?
    3 class reps there I notice also

Did I spot bluedolphin in javas yesterday evening discussing campaign strategy?

Pa is in HPSS as well. Sure, if you look at HPSS graduates' employment statistics over the years I'm sure the SU is a prominent employer! :rolleyes:

You probably did see me in there all right; I was sitting just inside the door on left. From about 2pm until 7pm. So chances are, I was seen in there! Although I wasn't discussing campaign strategy the whole time! I got 26 signatures for my nomination form just asking people I knew as they passed...only another 34 to go :p Sign it if you see me!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Elected

DP/Welfare: Caitríona McGrattan

VP/PPO: Aoife Breen

VP/CSO: Damian Cahill

Polls Opening Thursday Week 9

President: Patrick O'Brien; Patick McHugh; Oisín Collins

VP/Education: Shane O'Callaghan; Eamonn Gardiner

Let the games begin

ninty9er wrote: »
    Elected

DP/Welfare: Caitríona McGrattan

VP/PPO: Aoife Breen

VP/CSO: Damian Cahill

Polls Opening Thursday Week 9

President: Patrick O'Brien; Patick McHugh; Oisín Collins

VP/Education: Shane O'Callaghan; Eamonn Gardiner

Let the games begin

ninety9er...how come the elections are held at different dates? and not all held on the one day when the students would be there voting already :confused:

I realise you asked Derek but here's the answer anyway:

They're not held on different dates - nominations opened on Friday of week 6 and closed on Thursday of week 7. Anyone who was the only candidate for a position after nominations closed was deemed elected. For positions where there was more than one candidate, elections will be held - these will be held on Thursday of teaching week 8 (March 27), polling stations will be open in the main canteen, SU photocopying room, Health Sciences building and the ground floor of the library. Counting of votes will take place after the polls have closed and we'll know who won the race for the two remaining positions on the evening of March 27.

I realise you asked Derek but here's the answer anyway:

They're not held on different dates - nominations opened on Friday of week 6 and closed on Thursday of week 7. Anyone who was the only candidate for a position after nominations closed was deemed elected. For positions where there was more than one candidate, elections will be held - these will be held on Thursday of teaching week 8 (March 27), polling stations will be open in the main canteen, SU photocopying room, Health Sciences building and the ground floor of the library. Counting of votes will take place after the polls have closed and we'll know who won the race for the two remaining positions on the evening of March 27.

appreciate the run-down...makes sense now and cleared up it...I never voted in SU elections so it was a little strange to me...cheers ;)

appreciate the run-down...makes sense now and cleared up it...I never voted in SU elections so it was a little strange to me...cheers ;)
    No hassle. I get the joy of being the chair of the Electoral & Referenda Board (which hurts my sensibilities as the OED recommends 'referendums' as the plural for 'referendum' but that's what it's called) so between that and being the guy most responsible for advertising the elections (with the help of the ERB people and other helper types) there would be something wrong if I didn't know how it works:)

I guess you can almost all start giving opinion on who you're going to vote for and so forth and pimping yourselves as the ideal candidates (not that any of those running for election have hitherto used this board as far as I know which is a pity). Obviously as the chair of the thingumabob and a current SU officer I have no public view on who should be elected but I do have a vote that I will be using so come and get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

I also understand that the usual profiling and helpful betting hints will be on offer at http://ulvoteforme.blogspot.com/

I have to say I found one campaign good so far. One candidate had a poster saying: Who the F**K is Pa O Brien" (or some name like that). Two days later a new poster sprung up beside all the original posters saying "I dont know vote for X instead":D Ok so I cant remember the names off hand so the campaign wasnt that effective but ill recognize it on the ballot paper!

Of coarse that doesnt show any policies of the candidates but guy X has my vote until people start talking about what they're actually going to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr Seven

i believe you'll find that is oisin collins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

(which hurts my sensibilities as the OED recommends 'referendums' as the plural for 'referendum' but that's what it's called)

Unless the nice people at Oxford are now taking the advice of Cletus the slack jawed yokel...referenda is and always will be the plural of referendum, much like sheep and not sheepes is the plural of sheep, ditto for fish, mice not mouses (unless you mean the IT sense in which case it's mouses), stadia not stadiums.

As far as I know as a Latin gerund referendum has no plural so referendums is correct usage. Referenda (things to be referred) would make sense if there was a a number of issues being referred to the electorate (I think). Curse you ninty9er I'll need to go and google to make sure all that ****e I'm just after talking is correct.

Anyway both the OED and I have spoken so quiet you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Oggin

For all those who have not seen the campaign bebo page, here it is in all its technicolour glory: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6097129714.
    Some good ideas in there, IMO

Oggin wrote: »
    For all those who have not seen the campaign bebo page, here it is in all its technicolour glory: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6097129714.
    Some good ideas in there, IMO

Pimpin'! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Oggin

Well, man cannot live by bread alone, gotta get paid somehow. Just spreading the Good Word

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Clearly web design is not Mr. O'Briens forté... a yellow background on white text is not easy on the eye.

• Advertisement

Peteee wrote: »
    Clearly web design is not Mr. O'Briens forté... a yellow background on white text is not easy on the eye.

Surely white text on a yellow background? :confused::D

Advertisement