Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Peteee wrote: »
    Clearly web design is not Mr. O'Briens forté... a yellow background on white text is not easy on the eye.

Surely white text on a yellow background? :confused::D

It's OK. He's drunk... oh wait, its Pete not Rory. Sorry, my mistake.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Surely white text on a yellow background? :confused::D

Right you are... and don't call me shirley! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Oggin wrote: »
    Some good ideas in there, IMO

No way.... How d'you figure that?

Obviously nothing to do with the fact yore pimping for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Hustings take place today (Wednesday) at 13:30 in the Stables!! Come along to see what the candidates have to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Hustings take place today (Wednesday) at 13:30 in the Stables!! Come along to see what the candidates have to say :)
    Saw your posters today, very modern and stuff:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm sure this has been raised before but I am wondering about Shane O'Callaghan who is running for Education Officer. Will he not have to go on Co-Op/Erasmus at some point next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been raised before but I am wondering about Shane O'Callaghan who is running for Education Officer. Will he not have to go on Co-Op/Erasmus at some point next year?

Is he the first year BBS?

If so, Erasmus is optional for BBS students, and Co-op doesnt happen for them until 2nd semester of 3rd year

Ok, fair enough. Haven't decided who I'm voting for yet and wanted to make sure I had all the facts. (Although, I would recommend he go on Erasmus, best thing I ever did!!!)

cooperguy wrote: »
    Saw your posters today, very modern and stuff:D

Thanks! My campaign manager is a legend! I decided to engage in a campaign anyway; just because it's good to raise awareness and at least people might know who's representing them next year!!

He is a first year candidate, but a sabbatical officer is just that: a sabbatical! It means taking a year out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As I've been banned from motors for standing up for myself and my sig I'll row in here.

Shane will be a very able Education Officer if elected, he doubtless knows the system insde out at this stage:pac::pac: (private joke).

Like BD said, it's a year out, as in he won't be starting 2nd year in September if he's elected, it'll be the following year:pac::pac:

BBS students are not required to go on ERASMUS but can take 2 semesters or 1 if they wish as well as a co-op abroad option.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to start an argument, nor am I trying to question Shane's capabilities. Like I said, I just wanted to have all my facts. I didn't realise that the position was sabbatical, I just thought that, as a general rule, the persons elected were finished college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I don't think anyone else was either ergonomics, but yes the PPO, Education Office, Welfare Officer and President of the SU are all sabattical positions i.e. you take a year out of college to do them. I don't think someone who has finished college can run in an SU election as far as I know you have to be either an undergraduate or post grad in the university (open to correction on this though).

I'm not trying to start an argument, nor am I trying to question Shane's capabilities. Like I said, I just wanted to have all my facts. I didn't realise that the position was sabbatical, I just thought that, as a general rule, the persons elected were finished college.

That has been the trend in UL, but not elswhere in general. In fact this year's PPO will be commencing 4th year in September which I can't remember happening in my time here.

Shane however, has 3 years active Union membership behind him and Eamonn has spent 5 years at UL

So...hustings...spill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

ninty9er wrote: »
    So...hustings...spill!!
    What ninty9er said!

I was too busy wrecking my head trying to get my FYP written up to actually show

Right. I'd like to clarify something because far too many people have asked me.

Why am I running a campaign even though I've been deemed elected?

I am running a campaign even though I've been deemed elected because:

(a) people need to know who I am and that I'll be representing them next year, regardless. It's easier to break in my name now than have them come back next September going, "Who? Who's she? Who gave her any right to stick posters there?"

(b) to raise general awareness about the Union/elections. This is part of my manifesto - a yearlong general Union publicity campaign. I'm starting now.

(c) to prove that although the position went unopposed I am the best candidate that UL has to offer at present for this post and I'm showing that I can do what the job entails: publicity.

I'm starting as I mean to go on. I mean what I wrote on my manifesto; why not start straight away? Yes, I was elected unopposed, but that doesn't mean that I don't have a mandate from the students to inform them and publicise the election.

With regard to hustings... I'll fill ye in this later: I'm off the Clubs and Socs ones now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Polls Opening Thursday Week 9

President: Patrick O'Brien; Patick McHugh; Oisín Collins

VP/Education: Shane O'Callaghan; Eamonn Gardiner

They're getting my votes anyway I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

anyone else get candidate at there door at nearly 11 o clock tonite.. my housemate was to do the village for one candidate and decided not to due to the late hour at bout 10.15 . half hour later anotehr candidate called to the door.. and thought it funny that the third candidate in the race hadnt knocked to tlk at that hour.. at that as they saw a downstarirs light on they rang ell a second time to do there best to get somebody to annoy...

ok i do happen to know the candidate since before college (poor me) and also happen not to like them due to there undermining nature..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Does Fiachra Dempsey Whitely have a chance lads?? I would say he will get a few votes allright. Seems like a nice fella to me. Saw his posters around campus last night and early this morning.

However, they seem to have all been taken down??? Was this the SU again with their censorship??? Seems like bad form to me. A bit of fun around on election day would be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

Sounds like censorship all the way. The fact that posters need the UL stamp to be left up definately is an attack on free speach. Maybe these Fiachra posters were taking the mick out of the SU elections, but hey they were a bit of a laugh. I'm lucky I had a 9 o clock lecture. Its a pity more people didn't get a look at them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fiachra D-W

Thanks for all the support and **** goys. Loike it is a total disgrace that my posters were removed. Talk about free speech and ****. Anyway roysh keep voting for me

Thanks for all the support and **** goys. Loike is is a total disgrace that my posters were removed. Talk about free speech and ****. Anyway roysh keep voiting for me

As much as I enjoy reading the Ross O'carroll-Kelly books, I hope never to see a type like him in any sort of power, and can only assume this is some sort of attempt to extract the urine out of UL politics. :pac:

mrmanire wrote: »
    Sounds like censorship all the way. The fact that posters need the UL stamp to be left up definately is an attack on free speach.

In Soviet Russia, Union stamps you.
    Thanks for all the support and **** goys. Loike is is a total disgrace that my posters were removed. Talk about free speech and ****. Anyway roysh keep voiting for me

What's voiting? Can I have a poster too? (I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet, perhaps place it on the ceiling in my bedroom so I can bask in your reflected glory).

Your spelling is a disgrace as well.

rmacm wrote: »

What's voiting? Can I have a poster too? (I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet, perhaps place it on the ceiling in my bedroom so I can bask in your reflected glory).

Your spelling is a disgrace as well.

Oh hit an SU nerve did I??? And your point is?? I fixed loike the spelling. I was in loike a rush as I actaully have a life and dont spend my life on this board.

Anyway I can email you a poster if you want to loike....

Fiachra had the last laugh today, thats for sure

Oh hit an SU nerve did I??? And your point is?? I fixed loike the spelling. I was in loike a rush as I actaully have a life and dont spend my life on this board.

Not at all, I'm not in UL any more and I don't think I've ever had any involvement with the SU. Your spelling is still a disgrace.
    Anyway I can email you a poster if you want to loike....

Yeah sure PM me for an email address.
    Fiachra had the last laugh today, thats for sure

Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure what you've got to laugh about.

/me shakes head and mutters about how some people need to learn how to recognise sarcasm and perhaps develop a sense of humour.

Not at all, I'm not in UL any more and I don't think I've ever had any involvement with the SU. Your spelling is still a disgrace.

Yeah sure PM me for an email address.

Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure what you've got to laugh about.

/me shakes head and mutters about how some people need to learn how to recognise sarcasm and perhaps develop a sense of humour.

I really dont loike care what you think. I loike just wanted to loike have a bit of fun today so just lighten up mon.

Since your not in UL anymore I think you should loike stay out of it

Peace

Fiachra

I loike just wanted to loike have a bit of fun today so just lighten up mon.

Isn't that all any body wants.
    Since your not in UL anymore I think you should loike stay out of it

You'll be glad to know I don't particularly care what you think either. I spent 4 years in UL so I like to show an interest in what happens there.
    Peace

Not a chance. Haven't you heard, war is good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

First of all. I don't get that last comment. Please explain.

Secondly, I don't see why you are getting so excited with this Fiachra character. He was only taking the mick out of the SU. I can also find nothing wrong with Fiachra's spelling. He is only attempting to forward his points using his own regional colloquialisms. Wrong spellings if you will but I think they add emphasis to his arguments. Anyway its ONLY the ULSU we are talking about here.

In Soviet Russia, pop culture references get YOU!

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Smirnoff#Russian_reversal

As Pete said....In Soviet Russia etc etc etc.
    Secondly, I don't see why you are getting so excited with this Fiachra character.

I don't see anyone getting excited I'm sitting here nice and relaxed on my sofa.
    I can also find nothing wrong with Fiachra's spelling. He is only attempting to forward his points using his own regional colloquialisms.

Do I really have to show you what is wrong with it, "regional colloquialisms" my arse.

Advertisement