Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling 'up' Harcourt Street.

Options
  • 06-03-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I do this sometimes, usually late when I'm not likely to get pinched by two Luae (plural of Luas!). The 5-0 don't seem to care, as they have passed me in their car and looked at me and not even beeped. What do we think?

Also, you know the little cross-over by the Stevens Green luas stop, for bikes. It would be handy if there were some bike traffic lights pointing in the Harcourt direction, just at the ped. crossing at the top of Grafton. It can be a death trap when you get taxis swinging around and peds not looking right when jumping the red man, etc.

In other news: I saw a courier pulling some serious fixie action at the bottom of Grafton today. He flew through the ped. crossing, not giving a fook about anyone, pulling a side ways powerslide thing to avoid a woman and pram! Retarded, but I could help thinking it was a very nifty maneuver!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Zoodlebop wrote: »
    I do this sometimes, usually late when I'm not likely to get pinched by two Luae (plural of Luas!).
    You're kidding yourself. You have no idea of where the Luae are going to be when you start this stretch. It's just crazy, and gives cyclists a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

TBH, I find in many occasions that the safest place where you can cycle is on the Luas line, behind the tram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I bloody broke myself come off the Luas tracks at the top of Harcourt St yesterday.. Got my front wheel over but my rear wheel caught and I went off into the road! You live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I dunno, i find it's much faster to cycle behind a LUAS a lot of the time, but as it approaches junctions, etc, pedestrians walk behind the tram immediately after it passes them, often almost walking into any cyclist that may be back there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

just be careful in what you do on a bike.
    remember not all cyclists are good cyclists or in the right.
    so be careful and responsible. all the best.
    dont worry about other cyclists if they are not near you. each to thier own i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Karma has good points.

Personally, I wouldn't, I'd go up either Earlsfort Terrace or Camden St depending on destination, and you can go all out (more so on the former, depending on traffic.) Often ends up quicker.

Advertisement