Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rdf military police

• 06-03-2008 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

What is the story with these boys? My brother is thinking of joining these. What can he expect? Are the MPs hated by all other soldiers, do they get drunk on power? also, i assume they learn all the basic stuff that infantry learn (steyr etc) but what else do they learn? Do they have any cross over with the gardai?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Hi Hot Dog,

I was a member of the an MP Coy for many years.

Yes, they do the same training as the infantry as all the RDF MP Coy's are field units plus they learn alot of Military Law. Their firearms training is also the same but limited to small arms such as the Steyr and the Heckler & Koch USP 9mm Pistol, some units also do the mag. If their are hated, then its down to not knowing them and old wives tales and stuff...........

I have come across a few heads that went on power trips when they got promoted to cpl and given their redband / red berret, but they don't last too long. Most of the guys and gals in the MP units are as sound as you'll find.

I served for over 21 years and only had cause to arrest / charge 3 people, I was left with no other option on these occasions, they wouldnt listen or comply and were a danger to themselves and others. Most times the wagging of the finger and a talking-to did the trick.

I'm retired since 04, I know things change quite fast these days but I'm sure your brother will enjoy himself there, I certainly did.

Best of luck...................:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I heard the military police were rather hated by other units, but if it's any conilidation then maybe it because of the solider rather then the actual unit. Then again maybe people just don't like authority figures, i know loads of people who hate the gardai.

By the way i think the RDF Military Police do some sort of exam when they first enter. Not sure but i know a guy who went into it and told me he did an exam or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No, neither the PDF or RDF M.P. personnel are hated by anyone in the Defence Forces.

Your brother will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Hot Dog wrote: »
    Do they have any cross over with the gardai?

Nope.
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    By the way i think the RDF Military Police do some sort of exam when they first enter. Not sure but i know a guy who went into it and told me he did an exam or something

Never heard of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Mairt wrote: »
    No, neither the PDF or RDF M.P. personnel are hated by anyone in the Defence Forces.

Your brother will be fine.

X2

The only thing your brother will get is some inter-unit rivalry/banter..and tbh,that is rare..but always light-hearted!:)

I was going to go for MP's myself..but the training nights didn't suit!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Not sure but i know a guy who went into it and told me he did an exam or something

In my old unit there was no exam on entring / joining but we did continous written assessments of students during their training on all aspects of military training, not just military law.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

I never hated the PAs, nobody in my old unit ever did. Never heard of them being hated. Indeed they were good to us the odd occasion when on camp. Many is the occasion when we all crammed into the 'Rover after a good night in Mitchelstown for a ride back to Kilworth camp before 23:59.;) Saved taxi fare too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

The first guy I met (at the gate) when I joined up was a PA Cpl, he was a complete Pr*ck. He was later busted following a civvie conviction for shoplifting.

PA's in my experience were like any other soldiers, ie you got good ones and bad ones. The good ones were respected and the bad ones were hated. There was certainly no blanket hatred.

We shared an admin block with a PA Coy in later years, so got to know many of them. Made some good mates.

Imagine my surprise when I bumped into one of them a few years later in the ME, just about the middle of nowhere, both of us as Civvies, working for "opposite sides" We had some great nights, including my first experience of an earthquake (minor) while crashing in his place after a night on the tiles... :D

Advertisement