Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave to fashion

Options
  • 06-03-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

As I'm 30 this year I've become very aware all of a sudden of what I'm wearing.

Recently I've not bought clothes on the basis it looks "too young" but I find it hard to find interesting looking clothes for my age. The aul man on the other hand well into his 50's seems to pull it off every decade changing his style keeping it looking young without looking like a 16yr old.

So for the womens, guys in their late 20's to mid 30's what do you like to see the more "mature" man wearing? Or when you do you think it's too old to be "hip"

how important is a guys dress sense to you be it your bf/husband/potential.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

You either have style or class or you dont... simple as, If you need a woman to go shopping for you why dont you ask yore ma!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Quality wrote: »
    You either have style or class or you dont... simple as, If you need a woman to go shopping for you why dont you ask yore ma!

I missed the advert for the shopping assistant, but thanks for your as normal very creative and intelligent input to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I dont get it. Does "close" mean clothes?

If so, I still dont get it.

You dont buy clothes because they are too young?

Ya wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Peared wrote: »
    I dont get it. Does "close" mean clothes?

If so, I still dont get it.

You dont buy clothes because they are too young?

Ya wha?

fixed the spelling.

As in I didn't buy the item as I felt it was for someone much younger?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

ntlbell wrote: »
    So for the womens, guys in their late 20's to mid 30's what do you like to see the more "mature" man wearing?

I notice you have mature in the question....

Is this advice for you? Or a friend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Its not important to me.. Like my man to be clean, which he is but he looks like a dirty rocker most of the time. Its how clothes are worn really. The only thing I love is tight jeans on men if they have a nice arse. I saw this old guy recently, he was dressed in really trendy jeans and cap and big boots (he was about 70) and he looked shit hot. But it was the way he moved to, so full of confidence.

Wear what u like wearing, be comfortable and who gives a damn what people think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

Wear whatever you're comfortable in (apart from trackies ;)_
    There's nothing less attractive than seeing someone who isn't comfortable with themselves imo and you can always tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Quality wrote: »
    I notice you have mature in the question....

Is this advice for you? Or a friend?

it would be remiss of me not to say this.

BURN!

Op, what kind of stuff do you wear now? You might be able to wear the same kind of stuff - achieve the same kind of look - but with different ingredients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Just wear what you like and feel comfortable in. 29/30 is not old - most people seem to just "graduate" into whatever style suits them as they get older anyway. There are very few things that look too young for a 29/30-year-old, apart from "skater" gear like those pants that are falling off with the chain yokes at the back.
    Jeans, hoodies - the usual stuff like that looks good on a 29/30-year-old. Dressing more conservatively isn't a concern til your 40s nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think it's important to dress for your body shape (yes, this applies to men as well as women) and wear your clothes with confidence so only wear what you feel good in (as others have said).

I've seen men and women in their 40's and 50's wear 'young' clothes and look fantastic in them.

IMO, it's always important to try different clothes when you go shopping. Pick something you would never normally even consider. 70% of the time it might look crap on you but 30% it will look fab and you'll be amazed.

I think its a great way of keeping your wardrobe contemporary and not staid and boring looking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Dudess wrote: »
    Just wear what you like and feel comfortable in. 29/30 is not old - most people seem to just "graduate" into whatever style suits them as they get older anyway. There are very few things that look too young for a 29/30-year-old, apart from "skater" gear like those pants that are falling off with the chain yokes at the back.
    Jeans, hoodies - the usual stuff like that looks good on a 29/30-year-old. Dressing more conservatively isn't a concern til your 40s nowadays.

+1. Think it's a bit silly to wake up one day as you turn 30 (ancient btw!) and decide to change how you look. Gradually you'll find yours choices change over time. Once you're not dressing like a rebellious teenager you're doing fine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Dudess wrote: »
    There are very few things that look too young for a 29/30-year-old, apart from "skater" gear like those pants that are falling off with the chain yokes at the back.

:eek:

what about if i dont have the chains? :confused:

hehe, though hangin with all the ****ing oldschool punks and peeps here, ha, i think ill be ok by the time i reach their age. they look good for their age, and are dressing much the same as they did 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

You could just go for walks around. Like if you're wondering what do I wear for casual, go to the park, look and see what kinda of stuff you like, and then just go shopping with that in mind. Or you could ask at a shop. Debenhams have people in store to help you find good clothes. You could ask one of them. Or ask female friends. My friend loves dressing up her boyfriend. She says she's doing him a favour

Oh and as they said, don't wear tracksuit bottoms. Eugh

Advertisement