Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fully Protected NoClaim Discount (NCD)

Options
  • 06-03-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Time for renew car insurance for better half.
    She has 5 no claim years at the moment and full license.
    We are looking for full comprehensive with best possible protected NCD.
    So far found the following:

Hibernian: 2 claims in 3 years allowed, unlimited claim(s) amount allowed, step back NCD if limit is exceeded - most expensive.
    FBD: 2 claims in ??? years, ??? claim(s) amount allowed, UNKNOWN if step back NCD if limit is exceeded.
    its4women.ie (pretty same as 30plus.ie for male drivers): 2 claims in 5 years allowed, unlimited claim(s) amount allowed (HAS TO BE CONFIRMED), UNKNOWN if step back NCD if limit is exceeded - cheapest.

It is looks like Hibernian offers the best conditions, but quote from its4women is much better.

Eny personal experiences in regard to how good is its4women in handling claims?

Does anybody had experience/more info with one of those in regard to fully protected NCD?

Any other company we missed which does fully protected NCD?

We aware of RoyalSun Alliance doing protected NCD, but T&C are cumbersome and it looks like amount allowed to claim without loosing NCD are quite low, looks not competitive comparing to unlimited with Hiberbian.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As far as I know those protected no claims things are not as good as they sound. The claim is still registered against you and if you wished to change company later the claim is there. Its just that your company are agreeing not to rise your premium due to claim. So if you claim and your company decides to raise your premium due to inflation etc, you cannot really shop around.

Still worth having though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

mickdw wrote: »
    As far as I know those protected no claims things are not as good as they sound. The claim is still registered against you and if you wished to change company later the claim is there. Its just that your company are agreeing not to rise your premium due to claim. So if you claim and your company decides to raise your premium due to inflation etc, you cannot really shop around.

Well, I don't know if you can reasonably expect that any record at all of an accident to be unavailable to another company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

mickdw wrote: »

I think that they can still load your policy - its a protected NCB not a protected premium. The NCB is just a percentage discount on whatever premium they see fit to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Spit62500 wrote: »
    I think that they can still load your policy - its a protected NCB not a protected premium. The NCB is just a percentage discount on whatever premium they see fit to charge.

Yes of course they can. I did make that point.

We are not answering the question asked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

If they say theres no limit on the claims (2 years unlimited with hibernian)I'd doubt they would load the policy due to the same claim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, FBD are the only ones to offer true, full NCD protection ie no limit on the number of, or cost of, accidents.

Advertisement