Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL Team of the year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Won't happen though as I've too many players from 'unfashionable/non-top four' sides.

I have a theory that the non top 4 clubs are non top 4 because they aren't as good as the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Evra over Clichy? Lol not a hope.

Hart

Richards
    Laursen----Lescott
    Clichy

Ronaldo
    Fabregas----Bentley
    Young

Torres
    Adebayor

Won't happen though as I've too many players from 'unfashionable/non-top four' sides.
    Why would you have Clichy in the first place??? Evra shìts on him! The same way Anderson shìts on Fad-re-gassssss!!! :p Richards & Hart?! :confused: Oh dear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Joe Hart over Green & James?

That looks a bit iffy I must say...but youre entitled to your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Archimedes wrote: »
    Joe Hart over Green & James?

That looks a bit iffy I must say...but youre entitled to your opinion

Well Green is black listed for me now after conceding 8 goals in a fantasy league double game week. James has done well alright. As I said though no keeper has been truly outstanding and for what Hart has done at 20 years of age in his first season I thought he deserved a mention. Obviously he won't make the proper team but recognition is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

James

Sagna
    Laursen----Ferdinand
    Clichy

Ronaldo
    Bentley----Fabregas
    Young

Torres
    Adebayor

Honourable mentions to Flamini, Lescott, Richards, Mascherano and Hleb

Ugh not this Anderson is better than Fabregas thing based on one game:rolleyes: And Clichy and Evra are much of a much, i just like Clichy more and think he's the model professional, much like Sagna who has made a fair amount of peoples teams seamlessly in his first season here:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

With the demise of both Neville and Finnan, Sagna is the only world class right back in the league this year....no one else comes close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hart

Richards
    Laursen----Lescott
    Clichy

Ronaldo
    Fabregas----Bentley
    Young

Torres
    Adebayor

Richards at RB? Has he even played in that position this season?

What about Sagna, Belletti or Carr ?

....yes, I jest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Only read the last page but I'm surprised at the lack of David James appearing in teams. I remember a similar thread a couple of months ago, I think mine was something along the lines of:

James

Ferdinand----Gallas
    Lescott

Bentley
    Fabregas
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo-

Adebayor---Torres---Tevez

With notable mentions to Clichy, Petrov, Keane, Ashley Young and a couple of others.

SofaKing wrote: »
    Richards at RB? Has he even played in that position this season?

What about Sagna, Belletti or Carr ?

....yes, I jest :D

Yep played there once or twice as well as doing it for England. I can change the same players to a 3-5-2 just for you if you want? Then Richards can be one of three centre halves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so glad to see so many people picking Laursen. Since he has gotten himself fit he has been immense and has argueably been the best defender in the Premiership despite not playing in the big four.

as a unit the Man united defense is the meanest defense in the Prem, yes. But individually and on form I would take non-united players for each individual defensive position in a team of the year although each omitted united defensive player wouldent be far off the team.

as per usual there is a lot of club bias in all of these (even mine with 2 Villa players) and you can expect that there will probably be a top 4 bias when the official eam is picked. Wonder will anyone have the balls to not pick Ronaldo?
    Dubit10 wrote: »
    who is god?
    Paul McGrath if your a fellow Villan, Robbie Fowler for the Reds but Anderson really! class player and IMO will be a true great, but in no way at his young age should he be given the "God" tag

Wonder will anyone have the balls to not pick Ronaldo?

It's not a case of having the balls, it would be a case of being clueless tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Wonder will anyone have the balls to not pick Ronaldo?

I accept that challenge

GK Almunia

LB Clichy
    RB Sagna
    CB Richards
    CB Vidic

LM Petrov
    RM Hleb
    CM Fabregas
    CM Flamini

CF Torres
    CF Adebayor

GO GO GADGET FLAME RETARDANT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Unearthly wrote: »
    It's not a case of having the balls, it would be a case of being clueless tbh

It is a pity you can't force people to have the same view as you. Life would be so much simpler. I'm puzzled how anyone, even 'Pool fans can pick Gerrard but yet they keep on doing it. I often wonder if he has an invisibility suit the amount of times he goes missing for long spells during games. That is however beside the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

James (Not close)

Sagna
    Evra

Dunne
    Laursen

Ronaldo
    Martin Petrov

Essien (He's just a beast when he plays)
    Fabregas

Torres
    Keane

Blah, blah to the doubters. I'm clearly right and you're clearly wrong imo. :)

Morf wrote: »
    It is a pity you can't force people to have the same view as you. Life would be so much simpler. I'm puzzled how anyone, even 'Pool fans can pick Gerrard but yet they keep on doing it. I often wonder if he has an invisibility suit the amount of times he goes missing for long spells during games. That is however beside the point.

It's not a crime to be wrong, just baffles me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Niemi

Sagna
    Evra
    Laursen
    Ferdinand

Ronaldo
    Young
    Fabregas
    Mascherano

Torres
    Adebayor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In fairness, this is a thread about team of the year, anyone who doesnt pick Ronaldo is off their tits, nothing to do with balls, just common sense dictates the best player in the league for the last 2 years will be in the team of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Agreed.Anybody who leaves ronaldo,gerrard or fabregas out of the Pl team of the year needs there head examined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Its all about opinions, but I really do think that Anderson, Sagna, Essien, Clichy and Mascherano are strange choices.

Anderson - This guy might, well probably will be class, but to have in the team now!!! I'm starting to think that this is a running joke here on boards. Uniteds midfielder pairing (or trio) changes quite often, and he hasn't set the world on fire in many games lets be fair.

Sagna - This one I'm not too sure about, is he a stirdy FB? I think Brown has shown fantastic performances this year and strangly enough for him hasn't put a foot wrong. Opinions again I know but Brown streets ahead for me.

Essien - Again how many games has this guy played? He doesn't warrant a place in this team, even though he is one of the best Midfielders in Prem.

Clichy - Has made a good few errors at the back, Evra hasnt! Evra by a country mile.

Mascherano - has been fantastic the past month or so, but he's gone missing in games and hasn't played this "holding midfielder" role he's suppose to play that well before that.

So I've picked my final team (4-4-2), after some thinking I've finally decided to go with this

James, Brown, Laursen, Lescott, Evra, Ronaldo, Fabregas, Flamini, Petrov, Torres, Adebayor

Subs: Green, Vidic, Corluka, Gerrard, Bentley, Keane, Anelka

Better get your head down xavi, you have only put one Man U playerin the team and homerjay is off on one. So even though it is your opinion and it is as good as anybody elses on these boards, you should be ready for fireworks. ;)

AH come on now T4TF, expected better from you! He does have a point regardless of him being biased. Sure isnt this thread about opinions, I think people should be allowed question teams as I have done above. With comments like that you're making it worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

James
    Sagna
    Laursen
    Dunne
    Evra
    Fab
    Ronnie
    Stevie
    Petrov
    Torres
    Ade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

GK: James

RB: Lescott
    CB: Laursen
    CB: Dunne
    LB: Evra

RM: Ronaldo
    CM: Bentley
    CM: Petrov

ST: Agbonglahor
    ST: Torres
    ST: Adebayor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Trilla wrote: »
    Mascherano - has been fantastic the past month or so, but he's gone missing in games and hasn't played this "holding midfielder" role he's suppose to play that well before that.

He has been liverpools best player bar Torres all season.
    The man has been on fire and to say he goes missing in games highlights the
    fact that you dont watch Liverpool games at all.
    His workrate is mindblowing and has been all season.
    If you dont want him in your team of the season thats not a problem, but
    make the excuses valid instead of talking crap tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Mossin wrote: »
    GK: James

RB: Lescott
    CB: Laursen
    CB: Dunne
    LB: Evra

RM: Ronaldo
    CM: Bentley
    CM: Petrov

ST: Agbonglahor
    ST: Torres
    ST: Adebayor

Bentley played out of position in CM instead of Fabregas
    Are you well ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Are you well ???
    *yawn*

All about personal preference.

Are you well ???

Yes I am quite well actually, thanks for asking.
    Its an opinion, get over it. I havent put in any central midfielders if you hadnt noticed, too difficult to choose.
    Fabregas, Anderson, Cahill, Arteta, Gerrard, Flamini, Barry, Mascherano, etc....The list goes on and on.
    I picked the 11 players who have stood out most for me.

Petrov seems a mad choice for so many people. He seems to be anonymous for so long in games. Especially recently.

And people need to chill out, as regards moaning when someone questions their team. It is a discussion board after all, no1 is questioning your right to an opinion. They're just disagreeing with it.

IrishMike wrote: »
    He has been liverpools best player bar Torres all season.
    The man has been on fire and to say he goes missing in games highlights the
    fact that you dont watch Liverpool games at all.
    His workrate is mindblowing and has been all season.
    If you dont want him in your team of the season thats not a problem, but
    make the excuses valid instead of talking crap tbh.

I do watch Liverpool games, quite alot infact and Im sticking to my guns on this one....tbh. Liverpool have had some great performances this season with Reina, Carragher,Gerrard and Torres being consistant enough. You can't faulter the FBs much, which leaves a rather dissapointing season from Kuyt, the wingers, an out of form Alonso and imo an out of form Mascherano. Having said that, since the new year he's been excellent. Breaking down alot of ball and being more involved. Before Christmas his performances were average. I wasn't taking crap, thats what I believe and thats what I saw. In fairness, his price tag is a bit much and his first few games were nothing special. He does a good job for the pool...but nowhere near enough to be in the team of the season <EOP>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

GK James

LB Clichy
    RB Sagna
    CB Dunne
    CB Gallas

LM Petrov
    RM Ronaldo
    CM Fabregas
    CM Flamini

CF Torres
    CF Adebayor

:D When is the actual team of the season released!

Sagna - This one I'm not too sure about, is he a stirdy FB? I think Brown has shown fantastic performances this year and strangly enough for him hasn't put a foot wrong. Opinions again I know but Brown streets ahead for me.

How can you ask whether Sagna is a sturdy fullback, showing you haven't been watching him play, and then go on to say Brown is "streets ahead"?(rhetorical question?):confused:
    Sagna is as reliable as any RB in the premiership, literally cant think of any mistake he has made all season, and to add to that he links up exceptionally well with the RM(Eboue/Hleb) and is an excellent attacking threat, better than Brown anyway in this respect imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

James

Sagna
    Ferdinand
    Laursen
    Lescott

Ronaldo
    Fabregas
    Gerrard
    Young

Adebayor
    Torres

Subs: Tevez, Green, Flamini, Bentley, Clichy, Dunne/Distin,

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    *yawn*

All about personal preference.

And this thread is about opinions and imo that was not a good choice for PL team of the year
    Thats all I was saying

playa3 wrote: »
    How can you ask whether Sagna is a sturdy fullback, showing you haven't been watching him play, and then go on to say Brown is "streets ahead"?(rhetorical question?):confused:
    Sagna is as reliable as any RB in the premiership, literally cant think of any mistake he has made all season, and to add to that he links up exceptionally well with the RM(Eboue/Hleb) and is an excellent attacking threat, better than Brown anyway in this respect imo.

Fair enough. He's been good alright. God yee pick up on every single word, but you're right he's sturdy. Yet I think Brown has been terrific, hasn't put a foot wrong. Granted the term "streets ahead" is a bit extreme, and along with Brown improving so well with the best defence in the premiership(15 con), isn't bad going forward either I give it to him without question. I'm taking this one back to a point, good call playa3, but Im sticking to my pistols about Mascherano!!!!

Fair enough. He's been good alright. God yee pick up on every single word, but you're right he's sturdy. Yet I think Brown has been terrific, hasn't put a foot wrong. Granted the term "streets ahead" is a bit extreme, and along with Brown improving so well with the best defence in the premiership(15 con), isn't bad going forward either I give it to him without question. I'm taking this one back to a point, good call playa3, but Im sticking to my pistols about Mascherano!!!!

Haha yeah thats fine by me

And this thread is about opinions and imo that was not a good choice for PL team of the year
    Thats all I was saying

Where is your team selection?? [If I've missed it I apologise]
    Its easy to make comments on others, but show us what you think is best!

Here is my stab at it:

james

Sagna
    Vidic
    Gallas
    Lescott

Ronaldo
    Fabregas
    Gerrard
    Young

Adebayor
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I do watch Liverpool games, quite alot infact and Im sticking to my guns on this one....tbh. Liverpool have had some great performances this season with Reina, Carragher,Gerrard and Torres being consistant enough. You can't faulter the FBs much, which leaves a rather dissapointing season from Kuyt, the wingers, an out of form Alonso and imo an out of form Mascherano. Having said that, since the new year he's been excellent. Breaking down alot of ball and being more involved. Before Christmas his performances were average. I wasn't taking crap, thats what I believe and thats what I saw. In fairness, his price tag is a bit much and his first few games were nothing special. He does a good job for the pool...but nowhere near enough to be in the team of the season <EOP>

Are you joking???? I know this is about opinions but your suggesting that liverpools fullbacks have had an ok season(Finnan, Arbeloa, Aurelio & Riise) but Mascherano has been out of form.!! I think Macsherano has been fantastic in a defensive midfield role and I wouldn't swap him for other defensive midfielder..

ibh wrote: »
    Are you joking???? I know this is about opinions but your suggesting that liverpools fullbacks have had an ok season(Finnan, Arbeloa, Aurelio & Riise) but Mascherano has been out of form.!! I think Macsherano has been fantastic in a defensive midfield role and I wouldn't swap him for other defensive midfielder..

Again opinions, I think fantastic and mindblowing are words that I would only use for Fab, Ronaldo and I'm struggling after that. Finnan and Riise haven't had fantastic seasons agreed (they've had way better ones thats for sure) but I dont think Mascherano has been fantastic at all. Not gettin in my team or on my bench. Different players,some different positions but I'd have Gerrard, Fab, Bentley, Ronaldo, Hleb, Flamini, Petrov, Carrick, Barry and Hargreaves(maybe!!) ahead of him in my team.

I feel there is more to come from him and I've seen an improvement in his performances since after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Again opinions, I think fantastic and mindblowing are words that I would only use for Fab, Ronaldo and I'm struggling after that. Finnan and Riise haven't had fantastic seasons agreed (they've had way better ones thats for sure) but I dont think Mascherano has been fantastic at all. Not gettin in my team or on my bench. Different players,some different positions but I'd have Gerrard, Fab, Bentley, Ronaldo, Hleb, Flamini, Petrov, Carrick, Barry and Hargreaves(maybe!!) ahead of him in my team.

I feel there is more to come from him and I've seen an improvement in his performances since after Christmas.

Out of curiosity, how many Liverpool games have you watched this season ?

I have watched every game and Mascherano has been immense. Himself, Torres & Gerrard have been the star performers this season.

on Liverpoolfc.tv he is 3rd in man of the match awards behind Gerrard and Torres.

Steven Gerrard - 54 points.
    Fernando Torres - 46 points.
    Javier Mascherano - 41 points.

That shows how consistently well he has played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Carrick Barry and Hargreaves are all average enough players in my eyes. I think Hargreaves is a good holding midfielder for England cause they don't have many other players to fill this role, but I would safely say that I wouldn't swap Mascherano for any of these(prob not even for 2 of them!!). I don't think Argentina would be overly keen on having any of the aforementioned wheras I think they value Mascherano greatly.

Tusky wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how many Liverpool games have you watched this season ?

I have watched every game and Mascherano has been immense. Himself, Torres & Gerrard have been the star performers this season.

on Liverpoolfc.tv he is 3rd in man of the match awards behind Gerrard and Torres.

Steven Gerrard - 54 points.
    Fernando Torres - 46 points.
    Javier Mascherano - 41 points.

That shows how consistently well he has played.

Yea agreed. I think most fans would admit that Carragher hasn't hit his own high standards aand the same goes for most our team, but JM has been consistently good all season.

• Advertisement

Barry is a better player than Mascherano for me. Mascherano has hit better form this season though.

Overusing the word ever so slightly but "opinions". Some people have said Gerrard hasn't been great this season (which I disagree with before I get my head chopped) yet he's 2nd on that Liverpool devoted tv/site whatever it is that is from.

I wont lie, I havent watched all of their games. I've seen lets say 70-75% of the live league games Liverpool have been on tv, and all of their CL games. I think he's a fantastic player but (a) he shouldn' be in the team of the year and (b) he's not playing to his full potential. He's doing a job and Im not overlooking that, but I think there is more to come from him and he's picked up his performances since the beginning of the year. Missing the point here, Im not denying he's a fantastic player. Argentina would of course rather him over the other 3. But thats nothing got to do with it.

Barry is not an average player, neither is Carrick and Hargreaves. Wont entertain that comment whatsoever! Carrick and Barry are having good seasons, Hargreaves not as good but he's doing a job when he comes in. Like Mascherano is. Still not enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Carrick and Barry are having good seasons

Why oh why did you have to go and say that.
    Pighead tell him what we think about Michael Carrick around these parts ;)
    To say that Carrick is having a good season and that Mascherano is having a
    poor season is the most mindblowing thing ive heard in a long time.
    You may have been watching some games but there is no possible way you
    were paying attention if you came to those conclusions.

Carrick was absolutely ****e up until christmas for Utd, been decent for the last month though. but nowhere nnnneeeeeeeeeaaaaarrrrrrr team of the season, Utd fans have been slating him most of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

DSB wrote: »
    Barry is a better player than Mascherano for me. Mascherano has hit better form this season though.

They are different types of players, and Barry is a good player. But Mascherano is world-class. There is, in my opinion, nobody in the world who does what he does better than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I'll have to disagree with you there about carra.He has been poor this season by his very high standards.Mascherano has been fantastic for the pool this year and saying otherwise is just silly.At 17 million imo he is a bargain.But like everyones being saying it's all about opinions:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Carrick is a painfully average player.

Carrick is average and hasn't done anything to deserve any recognition this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

saying average is doind a dis-service to average players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Carrick's range of passing is second to none, imo.

he needs too long on the ball though.

Gerrard has about 18 goals this season. (9/10 in the PL) and about 10 assists in the PL too. anyone who says he is having anything but an excellent season is talking out their arse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement