Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PL Team of the year

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Trilla wrote: »
    Barry is not an average player, neither is Carrick and Hargreaves. Wont entertain that comment whatsoever! Carrick and Barry are having good seasons, Hargreaves not as good but he's doing a job when he comes in. Like Mascherano is. Still not enough for me.

I actually said they were average 'enough'. I know that didn't exactly make it clear what i meant. What i meant is that they are not in the bracket of top midfielders in the PL. I would rate the likes of Fabregas, Gerrard, Flamini (just about!!), Lampard, Essien, Ballack, Scholes(when fit) and Mascherano as being the top level of centre midfielders at the minute.

Carrick is ok but i think he was overpriced and is very overrated in my eyes. How good a season is he really having?? Has he been first choice? I thought it was more Anderson and Hargreaves??

Barry is a good PL player and can do a job for England, but i think that is his level. Maybe he is good enough to be in the team of the year on a particular season but long term he is more a top 5 player than a top 3 player, if you get what i mean..?
    Hargreaves will prob be a big hit in the PL. I just think he's all energy and bustle but i think a good attacker can get the better of him. For the same (almost) money as Mascherano there is no choice to be made. He put Kaka in his pocket for 75mins of last years Champs Lge final and there aren't too many players capable of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

saying average is doind a dis-service to average players.

That's a wee bit harsh. Carrick is not world class but he is'nt a nothing player.Good passer of the ball but not utd quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

:D:D:D

Carrick soooo underrated by opposition fans

No surprise it's mainly City and Liverpool fans though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Unearthly wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Carrick soooo underrated by opposition fans

No surprise it's mainly City and Liverpool fans though

But pretty much every time he plays the man u thread is full of utd fans slating him. Do you think hes having a good season ?

Tusky wrote: »
    But pretty much every time he plays the man u thread is full of utd fans slating him. Do you think hes having a good season ?

I thought he had a very good 1st season with us and a key part in winning the league

He was a bit crap 2nd season all the way to christmas but has picked up his form considerably, as noted in the Man Utd thread.

If he was below average he would look as out of place as Djemba Djemba did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

agree to agree with a some, agree to disagree with a few others here.

Mascherano - excellent player, not a great start - improving and coming into his own past 3 months. a quality player means heavy price tag, but not enough quality performances for me. Same goes for Alonso, even more so for him.

Carrick - very good player average start - now playing really really well, assists and tackles. Also started more games then Hargreaves and Anderson (I'm nearly sure of that). Overpriced I agree. 8 - 12m would have been more than enough, but he's a English CM which adds the extra 3/5m. painfully average = now thats a bit much don't you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DesF wrote: »
    Carrick's range of passing is second to none, imo.

he needs too long on the ball though.

It is, it is second to Xabi Alonso for one.

GK: James - not completely convinced

LB: Lescott
    CB: Ferdinand
    CB: Vidic
    RB: Sagna

LW: Hleb
    DM: Flamini
    AM: Fabregas
    AM: Gerard
    RW: Ronaldo

ST: Torres

Flip up between Adebayor and Torres to be honest. Swapped Young for Hleb and Masch for Flamini.

Flip up between Adebayor and Torres to be honest.

Torres 24
    Adebayor 23 (3 pens)

+ Torres has lovely hair ;)

Torres 24
    Adebayor 23 (3 pens)

It has to be Torres then. Although Adebayor has changed his hairstyle so maybe that counts for something...

I disagree, completely. He needs to use brylcream anti dandruff, he doesn't use wash and go for greasy hair. School boy error. Thats a typical Liverpool fan comment. Adebayor ftw re hair. Haven't seen him lately, jaysus?

• Advertisement

I disagree, completely. He needs to use brylcream anti dandruff, he doesn't use wash and go for greasy hair. School boy error. Thats a typical Liverpool fan comment. Adebayor ftw re hair. Haven't seen him lately, jaysus?

He knows fcuk all about defensive midfielders but mention hair and this man knows his stuff...:D

Yeah Adebayors new hairstyle is much better than his previous. He looks like some sort of funkmaster pimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Torres 24
    Adebayor 23 (3 pens)

Torres is a great player and is one out of Liverpool's only goal treats, what let Liverpool down this season is other areas were they have been particularly shìt this season...

Adebayor on the other hand is Arsenal's only `real` goal treat, but performances all round the field have been exceptional (even though they're up their own arses)... But give it to the one you think contributed more to their team.

Clearly you would have both and drop 1 of the midfielders

Pity I don't play any of you in FM online ;)

Nailz wrote: »
    Torres is a great player and is one out of Liverpool's only goal treats, what let Liverpool down this season is other areas were they have been particularly shìt this season...

Adebayor on the other hand is Arsenal's only `real` goal treat, but performances all round the field have been exceptional (even though they're up their own arses)... But give it to the one you think contributed more to their team.

Well they are both having great seasons. I try to view things as unbiased as possible but obviously some Liverpool bios will sneak into my thoughts and posts. I just prefer Torres. I think he scores better goals and has scored 4 more goals from open play than Adebayor. I think most teams would have him over Adebayor as well.

That doesnt change the fact that there hasnt been much between them this season, both have been great so choosing one over the other is only a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

saying average is doind a dis-service to average players.

this, even by your low standards, is another classic. care to elaborate on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He needs to use brylcream anti dandruff, he doesn't use wash and go for greasy hair. School boy error.

you better not be talking about Torres?! i can put up with a lot of ****e, but Torres is a ride and his hair is only gorgeous!

i should hunt you down and gut you like a pig!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Go on then, just for you.

He has been woeful this season, I know it, you know it and most of the fans on the united thread know it.

Anything else ?

Why don't you just have a cold shower, get over the fact that I banned you a few weeks ago and work on becoming a decent member of the boards soccer community? Probably the best way for you to prolong your time here.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you better not be talking about Torres?! i can put up with a lot of ****e, but Torres is a ride and his hair is only gorgeous!

i should hunt you down and gut you like a pig!:mad:

Speaking of hunt, where is DesF ? He would argue with you over who has the better hair, him or Torres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Go on then, just for you.

He has been woeful this season, I know it, you know it and most of the fans on the united thread know it.

Anything else ?

Carrick was woeful this season. He's been pretty damn impressive since the turn of the year, and THATS what United fans have been saying if you actually read posts instead of putting words in peoples mouths.

And to say Carrick is a less than average player just stinks of idiocy. A ridiculous, ludicrous statement designed to get a rise out of United fans, something you just love to do. He was one of our key players last season and one of the main reasons we won the league - an influence none of your beloved Liverpool players have ever managed. His form at the moment is great, but hey - you seem to like Liverpool, so I'll forgive you for dwelling on the past.

archimedes, Carrick has had about 4-6 decent games this year. thats pretty ****e tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

In all fairness he's had much more than 4-6 good games. Lately, he's had that many but he did put in a few good performances earlier in the season. He hasnt reached last seasons heights, fair enough, but he's had to put up with more competition this year, hasnt been guaranteed a place when you have the likes of Hargreaves and Anderson coming in. Im not saying he's world class, but for T4TF to say he's below average is just fishing for a rise out of United fans.

i would say he is slightly above average.

but i really cant recall any decent game before christmas. he has been better since then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Green
    Sagna
    Gallas
    Ferdinand----Lescott
    Ronaldo----Fabregas
    Flamini----Petrov
    Adebayor
    Torres

Archimedes wrote: »
    Carrick was woeful this season. He's been pretty damn impressive since the turn of the year, and THATS what United fans have been saying if you actually read posts instead of putting words in peoples mouths.

And to say Carrick is a less than average player just stinks of idiocy. A ridiculous, ludicrous statement designed to get a rise out of United fans, something you just love to do. He was one of our key players last season and one of the main reasons we won the league - an influence none of your beloved Liverpool players have ever managed. His form at the moment is great, but hey - you seem to like Liverpool, so I'll forgive you for dwelling on the past.

best post on here in months imo. some people on here tend to abuse their posisitions and need to be put back in their box,well done:D

carrick is more than an average player, he is a vital player for united and has been one of our best players over the past 3 months, if not the best, maybe only ronaldo and tevez have been better. no,im not saying he is world class, cos he isnt, but there aint many world class midfielders, bar one or 2, in the premiership. he is well able to hold his own and right now, cos of his efforts over the past 3 months, is number 1 choice,yes thats right, he is. he is playing superb stuff since it hit christmas, any real united fans who watch united week in week out know it, any real football fan should also know it, but hey, its united, its easy to have a go.
    all the main united fans forums recognise how important he is and has been since christmas. people also tend to say that he has been dropped and his form is poor, he has also played more games, even taking injuriers into account, than anybody else in uniteds attacking positons, again bar ronaldo and rooney.

carrick has started 26 games and came on in 8 more.(34 in total)
    anderson has started 19 and come on in 9 more(28 in total)
    hargreaves has started 15 and has come on in 6 more. (21 in total, injured for a while)
    scholes has started 17 and has come on in 3 more (20 in total, injured for 10 weeks).

to call carrick a below average player just shows a complete lack of reality and downright lack of knowledge for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

to call carrick a below average player just shows a complete lack of reality and downright lack of knowledge for the game.

Agreed. He's not below average, he's just average.

Do you understand this thread homerjay ? I am sensing that you don't (the clue is in the title), I am talking about players for this season and their right, or not to be in the team of the year this season, carrick has been below average for United this season. To suggest that I have no knowledge of the game because I share my opinion of how painfully average (and often worse) throughout the season he has been is downright stupid, especially when it is an opinion shared by many from these boards, including man u fans.

Do you understand this thread homerjay ? I am sensing that you don't (the clue is in the title), I am talking about players for this season and their right, or not to be in the team of the year this season, carrick has been below average for United this season. To suggest that I have no knowledge of the game because I share my opinion of how painfully average (and often worse) throughout the season he has been is downright stupid, especially when it is an opinion shared by many from these boards, including man u fans.

yes i can read thanks. i never put carrick in my team of the year did i? please read my posts again and you will see that im responding to a post of yours that clearly stated that calling carrick average is doing injustice to average players. you brought this way off topic, not me.

And I am basing that upon his performances for this season, nothing to do with how he did last season or how good or bad a player he is usually, interestingly as that is the topic of the thread I cannot see how that could be considered to be off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I thought this thread was about the team of the year so far.What is a player like carrick doing anywhere near that team??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Dubit10 wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about the team of the year so far.What is a player like carrick doing anywhere near that team??
    That's easy... they're picking the team of the year... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mr Alan wrote: »
    archimedes, Carrick has had about 4-6 decent games this year. thats pretty ****e tbh

Still puts him way above average tbh.

No offence but to describe Carrick as a less than average quality player is retarded. Thankfully, we can put that one down to hating anything ManU related as oppossed to your knowledge.

That is not to say that I believe for a minute that Carrick was worth the £18 million paid for him. There is no doubting that his purchase helped United claim the league last season but signing Robbie ****ing Savage would have helped ye at that stage.

Are people describing him as a less than average player or describing his performances this season (The clue is in the thread title) as less than average, he is obviously better than average, but that is not what this thread is about. I was assuming people understood this. I would not go so far as calling somebody retarded for taking completely the wrong message from posts in a thread called PL team of the year but I could see how other people would.

Still puts him way above average tbh.

No offence but to describe Carrick as a less than average quality player is retarded. Thankfully, we can put that one down to hating anything ManU related as oppossed to your knowledge.

ah, thats a bit harsh, al is one of the more knowledgeble liverpool fans on ere and is always good for an honest but heated debate. ease off on the abuse!!!
    and honestly, it wasnt him that said carrick was less below average, it was 1 or 2 others. (gosh, cant believe i am defending a scouser fan!)

this thread is the same as almost every thread in ere, one comment and it decends into united v liverpool.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Agreed. He's not below average, he's just average.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Unearthly wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Good contribution Diane.

He is average in the United team. Not better than Hargreaves, Anderson or Scholes.

So are the majority of he midfielders in the world, doesn't mean they are just average

Reckon that an average player would have stuck that chance that Carrick had today. ;)

lol was hoping he'd score and I would of made a cheeky post:(:D

I thought you might have, as it turned out, I got back from the game, saw the highlights and you guys were the first I thought of ;)

• Advertisement

I bet we were T4TF, i bet we were!!
    ibh wrote: »
    He knows fcuk all about defensive midfielders but mention hair and this man knows his stuff...:D

haha. Okay, so I was harsh on Sagna and Mascherano. The latter a quality player, imo is having a below par season by his high standards, as is Michael Carrick (who is a different player i will add). I think we can all conclude to a point that more can come from both players, and Mascherano is better quality. Maybe I was expecting more from him - big name player who had a good World Cup (and is class in Football Manager!). I thought he'd make the midfield up for Liverpool and be the difference, especially since they have a world class Striker, Centre Back, Goalkeeper and imo the best box to box midfielder in the world in Steven Gerrard. Hasn't done enough for me to make my team of the year and its sub bench but maybe I was a little too harsh.

Reina

Sagna---Ferdinand---Vidic--Evra/Clichy

Mascherano--Fabregas
    Bentley
    Gerrard
    Ronaldo--

Torres

Thats a team i'd pay good money to watch.

Advertisement