Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a diesel

Options
  • 06-03-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey was thinking of changing car soon wouldn't spend more than €12 grand tho. what would you recommend in a diesel, must be powerful. Was thinking of A4 or Passat both 1.9 TDI. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

RedRag wrote: »
    Hey was thinking of changing car soon wouldn't spend more than €12 grand tho. what would you recommend in a diesel, must be powerful. Was thinking of A4 or Passat both 1.9 TDI. Any ideas?

ehhhhh, whats your opinions on Italian cars?........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

As long as its reliable country of origin doesn't bother me, I like italian cars bar Fiat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

is the 12k including the trade in or straight purchase price?
    VW cars overrated but engiines are great alright. TDI is out on its own, but the rest of the car isn't a patch on a Mondeo or a 406 for steering, brakes and suspension.
    Alfa is a good option second hand. The jtd is a belter too.

As long as its reliable country of origin doesn't bother me, I like italian cars bar Fiat.

Alfa 156 2.4JTD just as reliable as any VW diesel, way more powerfull than any VW diesel

2nd shameless plug today!! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

• Advertisement

prospect wrote: »

The daelers don't half know how to chrage, wow, 13k for a 5 year old car with 130,000 miles done !!

siralfalot wrote: »
    Alfa 156 2.4JTD just as reliable as any VW diesel, way more powerfull than any VW diesel

2nd shameless plug today!! :D:p
    That is a lovely car alright !!
    Are you the seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

cashmni1 wrote: »
    The daelers don't half know how to chrage, wow, 13k for a 5 year old car with 130,000 miles done !!

Yeah, I was just looking for pictures really.
    I reckon 9.5K cash would have that Avensis in a snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

Realistically looking for something 2.0 or less. Reliability is not my main concern, it must look good also. I like the Mazda, but even though the avensis would be a great car i think its a bit bland. Thanks for responses tho.

cashmni1 wrote: »
    That is a lovely car alright !!
    Are you the seller?

yeah, sure am, I'm a bit peeved at having to sell it, but building my new house is a tad more important (or so the wife to be tells me!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

siralfalot wrote: »
    2nd shameless plug today!![/URL] :D:p
    What's the story with that wheel arch kit - I don't see any others with it? Is it aftermarket?

JHMEG wrote: »
    What's the story with that wheel arch kit - I don't see any others with it? Is it aftermarket?

no its the factory kit, it was an optional extra on 156 cars

it can be fitted aftermarket if you want to spend €2.5 - €3k doing it :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

my choice would be
    1st peugeot 406
    2nd vw passat
    3rd citroen c5
    all very big comfortable cars and very reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

prospect wrote: »

Or if you've any interest in driving.
    BTW Siralfalot sacrifice the new kitchen and keep that Alfa.
    OP surely having seen that Alfa , you've given up any thoughts of buying the VAG white goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

my choice would be
    1st peugeot 406
    2nd vw passat
    3rd citroen c5
    all very big comfortable cars and very reliable

Are you on drugs :eek: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Toyota and the Mazda would be an excellent choice for the OP. They would be my choices too. Even with that kind of mileage, being diesels and Japanese, I would expect that you could easily put on double the mileage currently on them provided they are serviced properly. Look after the car and it will reward you.

I wouldn't be keen on that Avensis though. For a start, the seller says it's the Strata model(it's not, it's the entry level Aura), and the car kit suggests to me this is an ex company car, which probably means it's had a hard life(though company cars also mean 99% of the time a car with Full Service History), though being a Toyota it can deal with it a lot better than most other cars can.

colm_mcm wrote: »

You're right .
    The passats an overatted bucket of S...te.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

E92 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be keen on that Avensis though. For a start, the seller says it's the Strata model(it's not, it's the entry level Aura)

Well spotted. though it has had the correct alloy wheels and front foglights added to it. the only thing missing is the rear electric windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Buy a german ( including skoda ) or a jap

groupb wrote: »
    You're right .
    The passats an overatted bucket of S...te.

In YOUR opinion. It is a completely overrated car for reliability anyway though, IMO:D.

• Advertisement

Does that mean you agree with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The A4 1.9tdi is a lovely car, a little overpriced maybe but it holds it's value very well. Just make sure its a 130bhp, and you might have to consider picking one up from the north/uk if you want a few extras.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

colm_mcm wrote: »

no fortunately im not. but i genuinly think these 3 look much better than any any avensis or 6 or accord but that just MY OPINION

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which would be? Fiat Group SPA own effectively all the rest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

bazz26 wrote: »

That's a sweet car, especially if it is indeed the Ti version-shame there's no pictures of the interior. The 156 facelift is a rare enough car on the roads as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    That's a sweet car, especially if it is indeed the Ti version-shame there's no pictures of the interior. The 156 facelift is a rare enough car on the roads as well.

It does have the Ti 17" alloys, side skirts and Ti badges on the side wings just below the indicator, so I would image it's the real McCoy.

Timmaay wrote: »
    The A4 1.9tdi is a lovely car, a little overpriced maybe but it holds it's value very well. Just make sure its a 130bhp, and you might have to consider picking one up from the north/uk if you want a few extras.

A very average car that happens to have the "right badge" to some people.
    What makes it "lovely"? The handling and ride are light years behind the likes of a 3 series or mondeo. Its cramped inside and if you go by any of the reliability surveys its sure to break down.

The A4 is a very comfortable motor to travel in(rides well, has nice firm German seats, is quiet) and feels extremely solid inside(dunno what it's like to drive though), but the 2.0 petrol sounds horrible at low revs, as if it's a paraffin stove, I know that.

@groupb: I agree that the Passat is over rated(I'm thinking of reliability in particular), but I don't think it's a "bucket of sh1te" either;)!

• Advertisement

i've had an A4 and a passat - never again. If Hoover made cars they would be like the A4. White goods on wheels. If you just want transport these cars are fine , but if you enjoy driving they should'nt even be on your radar.

Advertisement