Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carhome.ie

Options
  • 06-03-2008 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

http://www.carhome.ie/Home/Home_Page/index.html

Just browsing the tinternet, came across this site, €25 for the starting out fee.

Personally i cant see it lasting long, a good idea tho! But not really suited to Ireland, what with the bad weather (do you really want a burly bloke covered in road muck rain and sweat driving you home in your car?)

Has anybody ever used them before or would you?

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

do a search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Volvoboy wrote: »
    http://www.carhome.ie/Home/Home_Page/index.html

Just browsing the tinternet, came across this site, €25 for the starting out fee.

Personally i cant see it lasting long, a good idea tho! But not really suited to Ireland, what with the bad weather (do you really want a burly bloke covered in road muck rain and sweat driving you home in your car?)

Has anybody ever used them before or would you?

-VB-

They done this on of episode Top Gear there a while back.. Seemed like good crack with the little bike:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

"We charge a flat fee of €25 within the first 5km and €1.75 for every km thereafter.

Waiting time is charged at €4 every five minutes after 10 minutes grace.
    Mastercard/Visa/ and laser cards accepted."

It seems a bit expensive imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Seems like a useful idea for dublin. I would use them. Very handy, will save a journey and lots of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

The prices are a bloody ripoff!!

6 KM's €26.75

Not even 4 miles, Could get a taxi for half that price sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The prices are a bloody ripoff!!

6 KM's €26.75

Not even 4 miles, Could get a taxi for half that price sure.

Yeah you probably could. But what if you're out at a work outing with the car and you weren't planning on drinking. Plans change and you decide to drink. Leave the car there. Get a taxi home. Get a taxi the next day (after you've sobered up) and drive it home. That's two taxis.

On the other hand, you could use carhome.ie and pay the same as two taxis but have less hassle the following day.

Another situation is if you've to go into hospital for a small op and they tell you you won't be able to drive yourself home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Depends on where you live, would really need to live in a Dublin suburb I guess...

I think it's a great service if used occasionally. Saves a lot of hassle getting a lift next day to collect car etc.

People these days moan about spending money on important things like drink and going out:). They'd rather stay home watching Desperate Fishwives and saving up for a new patio/sofa/flashier car...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

pburns wrote: »
    People these days moan about spending money on important things like drink and going out:). They'd rather stay home watching Desperate Fishwives and saving up for a new patio/sofa/flashier car...

ROFL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

javaboy wrote: »
    Yeah you probably could. But what if you're out at a work outing with the car and you weren't planning on drinking. Plans change and you decide to drink. Leave the car there. Get a taxi home. Get a taxi the next day (after you've sobered up) and drive it home. That's two taxis.

On the other hand, you could use carhome.ie and pay the same as two taxis but have less hassle the following day.

Another situation is if you've to go into hospital for a small op and they tell you you won't be able to drive yourself home.

No, id probably get the nitelink home and a bus in the next day. Total cost = €6. Who drives to work on fridays anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I think it's a grand idea. Could end up cheaper than a taxi in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

No, id probably get the nitelink home and a bus in the next day. Total cost = €6. Who drives to work on fridays anyway!

That's grand if nite link + bus suits you and is available in your area but a lot of people even within carhome's catchment area wouldn't have a decent bus service. Carhome.ie's not for everybody but there are situations where it would work out cheaper/more convenient than other solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

There are a few occasions when it might come in handy but that doesn't explain the ripoff prices. Just because it's cheaper than getting 2 taxis (one home and one to collect your car next day) doesn't make it cheap or justify the price of 25 Euro for driving 5km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

There are a few occasions when it might come in handy but that doesn't explain the ripoff prices. Just because it's cheaper than getting 2 taxis (one home and one to collect your car next day) doesn't make it cheap or justify the price of 25 Euro for driving 5km.
    People in the country are obsessed with "Ripoff" this and "Ripoff" that...

These are far from Ripoff prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I signed up, but I haven't used them yet, and for my purpose it should work out cheaper and far handier. I intend to use them for airport runs, so I can load up the car at my own convenience the night before and then drive to the airport with the kids in the small hours of the morning, meet the guy and he takes it back !

Perfect !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

well this would be great if you had Many friends who where a fair bit upper class but i could seethis lasting because you pay the lads 8.75 an hour plus a " 5 in a hour " bonus of say.... 5 euro ? But you would need to get very popular very fast....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Has anyone used these guys or any experience in dealing with them? It seems like a novel idea, but I'm not sure if it's caught on, or if the so-called downturn in the economy has affected their business.

I suppose it's ideal for people living outside the city/around the outer suburbs where Nitelinks aren't an option and taxis are costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

how did you find a 6 month old thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

steve06 wrote: »
    how did you find a 6 month old thread?

By using the search function.

No point in starting a new thread when at least three on the topic already exist.

So anyone any experience with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

€25 for the first 5km (3 miles)?

Screw that, I think I'll stick to cycling home from the pub...

Advertisement