Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good(AND Cheap) BodyWork Shop?

Options
  • 06-03-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Recently had the ill-fate of some little tripe keying the bonnet of my new car...

Can anyone suggest a decent body shop so i can go get it resprayed...

(The scrape is about a foot and a half long, and goes right through the paint and most of the primer also)...

Im in the Bray area but work in the city so dont mind travelling to a shop to get it done...

Any suggestions?

(Wont be doing the work myself as it'll void the paint warranty and also its too deep to just "touch-up" ... will def need to be done.. so paint/bodyshop locations/recommendations would be great please? )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Nobody?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Recently had the ill-fate of some little tripe keying the bonnet of my new car...

Can anyone suggest a decent body shop so i can go get it resprayed...

(The scrape is about a foot and a half long, and goes right through the paint and most of the primer also)...

Im in the Bray area but work in the city so dont mind travelling to a shop to get it done...

Any suggestions?

(Wont be doing the work myself as it'll void the paint warranty and also its too deep to just "touch-up" ... will def need to be done.. so paint/bodyshop locations/recommendations would be great please? )

Sorry to hear :mad:

Unfortunately good and cheap when it comes to paint/bodywork don't mix too well. If the new car is covered by some form of paint/corrosion warranty, you might want to give the dealer a call to see where you stand if you go get the work done yourself elsewhere firstly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

I know a good guy, independent chap who's done some work for me and excellent job each time, based around arklow area. PM me if you want details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Good and cheap dont come into the same sentence when it comes to bodywork, you get one or the other, good or cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Crimmins garage in enniskerry, never had an complaints with their work.

Crimmins Garage, Bray rd Enniskerry Co Wicklow Wicklow, (01)2860163.

• Advertisement

Thanks for ye're replies - I have rang some of the car garages (dealerships that sell my car).. and mostly they outsource the work ... and suggested finding a bodyshop myself as it would be cheaper on me...

So as long as they are an official company that will sign for all the work etc the guarantee will be intact. So all good on that front...

Im waiting on a number of quotes to come back to me... Ill keep this updated if I find out anything and maybe it can be used for future reference also...

Thanks to everyone thusfar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Good and cheap dont come into the same sentence when it comes to bodywork, you get one or the other, good or cheap.

+1

Good and cheap in the same sentence is a paradox. Good and good value would be a better choice of terms - in which case you should steer clear of main dealers. As you have already found out, they subcontract the work and mark it up accordingly. Ask the main dealer who the subbie is and make contact with them directly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

how about these guys?

www.carcraft.ie

kceire wrote: »
    how about these guys?

www.carcraft.ie

I've contacted this crowd and they seem pretty well equiped etc... he gave me a ball-park figure over the phone and I'm going to call to him over the weekend for a proper qoute... It would be in the region of €280 by the sounds of it..

I also got a qoute on Friday from Metallic Motors in Arklow.. and they qouted €305, but I've heard that they can be a bit on the expensive side so I want to try and get a few more quotes first really...

Thanks for ye're help and referrals.. really appreciated

crosstownk wrote: »
    +1

Good and cheap in the same sentence is a paradox. Good and good value would be a better choice of terms - in which case you should steer clear of main dealers. As you have already found out, they subcontract the work and mark it up accordingly. Ask the main dealer who the subbie is and make contact with them directly.

Heya,

If your a citroen dealer then I believe you may be the person to talk to ... The car is a C4 Loeb... so you can see how the primer would stand out a mile on that colour car..

From the guys I spoke to last week - the wing will not need to be sprayed aswell as the bonnet (thank god)... so just gotta see now what other qoutes i get really...

My local Citroen dealer (back home in Tipperary) would be able to do the work but I dont get back there that often so its kinda awkward to be down there...

Fingers crossed on some decent quotes this week, I'll keep ye updated and thanks again...

• Advertisement

Thanks for all ye're help..

I got a number of quotes from different places.. the two cheapest being carcraft.ie and Brackens of Arklow...

I've booked it in for sunday week so will let ye know how it turns out..

-

Went with www.CarCraft.ie in city center - Just up past Connelly station

Really quality job done - They stripped the bonnet - repaired the scrape and then a full respray of the bonnet.

Looks brand new - Would highly recommend them! (Plus they were the cheapest I found also at €250 for the whole job)...

Thanks again for everyones help,
    Regards,
    JR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Sorry to rob the thread, I can buy a new wing for my white VW golf for 60 notes and looking for a nixer or something cheap to get it painted.

South Dublin would prob be preference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EveAug

Surprised at the comment that Metallic Motors was expensive. Had my car repaired by them a few months ago. Excellent job, best premises I've seen in any garage and best of all - very reasonable priced.

They also appear to be completely above board and had no problem supplying VAT invoice which doesn't always happen in some garages. I heard so many horror stories about paint peeling from cars after a few months that its great to have finally found such an excellent bodyshop in Arklow. I know where I'll be going if I need work done again.

Glad everything worked out okay for you.:)

EveAug wrote: »
    Surprised at the comment that Metallic Motors was expensive. Had my car repaired by them a few months ago. Excellent job, best premises I've seen in any garage and best of all - very reasonable priced.

They also appear to be completely above board and had no problem supplying VAT invoice which doesn't always happen in some garages. I heard so many horror stories about paint peeling from cars after a few months that its great to have finally found such an excellent bodyshop in Arklow. I know where I'll be going if I need work done again.

Glad everything worked out okay for you.:)

Ya, well I tried Mettalic Motors after the referral from here.
    Got the qoute and they seemed really good - as you said great setup - all the latest equipment etc.
    It was then a taxi driver in Arklow (im not from there myself, but my gf is) who said I should shop around because he had heard from taxi-customers that it was expensive - but good quality all the same.
    He recommended trying Brackens which is up beside Metallic Motors also...

The quote I got from car craft in city center was for €55 cheaper than Mettalic Motors, and Brackens also gave a quote of €250 which meant (to me anyway) that this was the normal price (also got two quotes from places back home, €255 and €250) since I had more than one quote now at the same...

Then out of convenience I went with the city option as I was in around that day anyway...

Im sure metallic motors do an excellent quality job (I havent read/heard any bad reviews) but from my part - they were the dearest I found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭legalbird12

Crofton Motors in Crumlin, I shopped around and they were by far the best. Kieran is the guy in charge. Bodywork was great

Advertisement