Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from United States

Options
  • 06-03-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

Okay, I currently considering importing a car from the UK. Just thought I'd questing about importing from the US. Whats the story here? There must be absolutely massive savings on the cost of a car, but is it feasible with shipping costs etc. And is the VRT the same from US as UK? Is there other hidden costs to consider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Well....It will be left hand drive so you will have to pay for a conversion. How will you get it from the US to Ireland?

If we used left hand drive cars here in Ireland we would be laughing. We could import cars from Poland for pence although if we were left hand drive the the government would probably charge extortionate prices for importing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Your insurance will be higher on a LHD car.

VRT is VRT regardless of the country of origin, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Well....It will be left hand drive so you will have to pay for a conversion. How will you get it from the US to Ireland?

If we used left hand drive cars here in Ireland we would be laughing. We could import cars from Poland for pence although if we were left hand drive the the government would probably charge extortionate prices for importing.

ya, I've read that there are conversion kits now, no idea how much they cost though. Not really sure if I could handle driving a LHD car
    It's worth considering.

EDIT: Not sure about the transport of it.... but people do do it. Again, no idea of the cost. Just dawned on me to think about it cause I'm going to Boston for a week next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Unless it was a move of residence, you'd be liable for VAT as well.

Don't bother converting - it'll wreck the car and I've never seen it done properly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

VRT is the same, and VAT at 21% is payable on the cost of the car PLUS any transport costs.

They f*** you at the drive thru!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Friend of mine brought in a GT4 from Japan, cost of shipping was 800 euro. Just to give you an idea. A car fits in a container so any shipping company will give an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I think this one is off the cards. I really wouldn't drive a LHD car, and would probably be too difficult and awkward to convert.
    thanks for the info guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yep, i'd say its a no no. A few of the lads I know import motocross bike from the states, but even with lower shipping costs and no need to convert to RHD, they only save a few hundard euro. Slightly beside the point, a LHD car will actually be charged a lower amount of vrt, due to the fact that its omsp here is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Interesting though. I own a car in the US currently and recently moved back to Ireland.
    If I could get change of residency documentation and pay the €800 to ship it over I might have a steal there. I think I could handle driving a LHD here even.
    I wonder what they need to see for residency documentation. I have NTL bills and such here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

jimbling wrote: »
    I think this one is off the cards. I really wouldn't drive a LHD car, and would probably be too difficult and awkward to convert.
    thanks for the info guys.
    What about a classic? Do your research, and you may be able to source a car that's not too available in Europe. Also, people looking at classics are probably a lot more happy to drive a LHD car, so that won't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine there is also import duty, although I don't know what the rate is.

Advertisement