Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Like Sligo?

Options
  • 06-03-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭

Yes or No

Do You Like Sligo 52 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 52 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Absolutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Of course!

Yes. I've never lived in Sligo but I think it has lot going for it.
    It is high up on my list of places I would like to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Sodoro

yes...but just about!! can b awful awful boring!! there isnt a whole lot to do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

yes :)
    It has the scenery, beaches and all the good shops etc.
    It has the feel of a community but isn't some rural backward place nor is it overwhelming and lonely like Dublin can be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

I said no:confused:

I said no:confused:

Well you would!
    ;):p

Can I ask why though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The county: YES
    The town: NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

i like sligo, hence i'm still here 2 years after i was meant to leave. but for teenagers it must be awful, nothing to do and i feel it shows in the way the majority of them act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Just like Yeats, I am a Dub with a fondness of Sligo.;)

Its a great area, love going there. The town can be a bit rough like any town. Bit of a littering problem. Otherwise I find Sligo friendly and pleasant.

I havent come across any of localism in surfing, nothing like Kerry or Cork. Even on secret breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I wouldn't live anywhere I didn't like, so yes! Personally speaking though, the town is really ugly. If I'd the choice, I'd level it & rebuild from scratch.

I'd level it & rebuild from scratch.

It could do with a good revamp, Its no uglier than a lot of other towns (Tuam).... Athlone looks great lately, Sligo could do with a bit of that. The river is a huge huge advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Yes. Thanks for asking:D

lightening wrote: »
    It could do with a good revamp, Its no uglier than a lot of other towns (Tuam).... Athlone looks great lately, Sligo could do with a bit of that. The river is a huge huge advantage.

I agree totally. O'Connell St is a mess, Harmony Hill looks desperate, Castle Street isn't too bad, but would be a lot better if it was pedestrianized & the river IS amazing, but really isn't exploited enough as a focal point.

You've got two nightclubs facing onto it that only open a couple of nights a week, lots of offices, a car park and only 2 bars that make any effort to exploit the views ie., The Glasshouse & The Left Bank (which has been sitting idle for about a year now).

It's horrible that the main hub of the town in the daytime is the sprawling Tescos car park as the shops are all within easy reach.

Check out Athlone, they turned the town around to face the Shannon. Ireland has a tradition of backing buildings on to river instead of facing them. We need to utilise our towns natural beauties. Even Dublin is blocked off from its bay by monster bridges and railway lines.

lightening wrote: »
    Check out Athlone, they turned the town around to face the Shannon. Ireland has a tradition of backing buildings on to river instead of facing them. We need to utilise our towns natural beauties. Even Dublin is blocked off from its bay by monster bridges and railway lines.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Nope... It has nothing good going for it since I don't live there anymore!

I'm sure you are sorely missed!

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Nope... It has nothing good going for it since I don't live there anymore!

Pffft! :rolleyes:

I don't really think it looks bad. Rockwood Parade is gorgeous in the summer. Wonder if the left bank will be open for the summer. Would be strange not seeing a crowd outside there in the summer!

I always think it's comical walk out of Quayside onto Wine St! Does anyone else laugh at that? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Sligo town has alot of potential. Its so beautiful coming into it with the backdrop of Benbulbin. The small streets arent designed for cars. Is nice that they are looking towards revitalising it.
    The countryside and beaches have always been class. Some of it has been plighted by reckless developemnt.:(
    Lets hope that people are more willing to protect it in future.:)

tuppence wrote: »
    The small streets arent designed for cars.

That can be a good thing!

takola wrote: »
    Wonder if the left bank will be open for the summer. Would be strange not seeing a crowd outside there in the summer!
    D
    <SNIP>

Mod edit: Please be careful of your descriptions of the people who attend a particular premises.

<SNIP>

WTF???

The crowd outside the Leftbank are respectable!

The wino's have always been there, further down long before that area was ever developed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

tuppence wrote: »
    The small streets arent designed for cars.
    )
    No i meant that it is a good thing! Its part of the old town and gives it character. Thats why the pedestrianisation of O Connell Street is a nice idea. (if they'd finish it off) I love harmony hill and Old market street (or high street) and castle street too. The smaller network of streets and hilly aspect is attractive. Thats what is quaint and i suppose exploited more in galway. The potential of the river is beginning to be explored and if they had more markets/buskers/street carnival type things, twould really be cool. :)

POST DELETED

I've never seen any trouble outside the left bank tbh. Nor have I ever seen any of the "wino's" causing any trouble and it's never bothered me to have them drinking across from there. I've never seen any kids drinking there during the summer, They hang out there yes probably because it's along the river and is a nice spot. Deal with it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I've seen it plenty of times , but havent in a while to be fair , mostly around 2-3 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

POST REMOVED

<SNIP>They are still there. They sit on the wall under the trees! No harm though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Would people please refrain from posting remarks that could be deemed slanderous/libelous or this thread gets locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement