Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Like Sligo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Where's the "I haven't made up my mind yet" option?

Honestly, the town isn't bad. Some of the people are w*nktastic (based on serious incidents happening) but most are nice enough. There's not a whole lot to do, but it's a small town so I expected that.

My biggest problem is the lack of opportunities. I've been out of work here for two and a half months and I'm getting freakin' sick of it, man. We'll probably have to move elsewhere just so I can get work and at that point my CV will be like swiss cheese so I'm going to look like a bum with no initiative.

soooooo other than the bitterness....

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Minus of the town-not too much bins in city centre,too much rubbish in area and like wrote Xiney"lack of opportunities".
    But my answer is YES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Red Rev

Yes its got character, which so many towns miss.
    Still a good community town, but not like one of those one horse towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Counting the days 'til I leave.

Nothing for me to do here 'cept Rovers and the cinema. Depressing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I did but now I am disillusioned by the dishonesty of the country people.

I wish I had stayed abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Essexboy wrote: »
    I did but now I am disillusioned by the dishonesty of the country people.

I wish I had stayed abroad.

How many ppl are we talking about here?

Dare I suggest you try to broaden (sp?) your horizons!
    Chances are you'll hvae the same complaint where ever you go.

Talk up surfing or fishing, hiking, camping, a sport etc.

Hard to know what exactly your looking for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Could I suggest maybe you take in a Will Farrell film? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

I'm a Sligonian who now lives in the UK but I keep in touch with home via family and reading the weekender online and boards.ie:) (Anyone know why The Champion hasn't being updated online in ages?)
    Anyway I've just returned from a long weekend in Sligo and have a few observations that I thought I'd share! In general, re. the thread title, I do like SLigo, particularly the countryside around it (mountains, beaches, lakes etc) but I feel the town/city has been "let go".
    -O'Connell St - how hard can it be to just get on with re-paving this street. At the moment it's a mess and feels like a half-arsed attempt at a pedestrianised street. Also, this applies throughout the town, I think a lot of the shop fronts are in a fairly shabby state. I don't want to single any out BUT as an example, next time you're on O'Connell St have a look at the Body Shop - the paint is falling/scraped off, there's graffiti on it and it just looks grubby - every other Body Shop I've ever seen looks pretty good so why does Sligo's one look so bad? This is just an example of how bad I think the town in general looks. Castle St. also is in terrible condition but I realise there are a couple of new developments in the pipeline here.
    Also, the approach to Sligo from the Manorhamilton side is a disaster - you are met by a road block that directs you up the overgrown side-road/building site that is Connaughtan Road. The Mall was once a thriving busy street but is now like no mans land. Surely making The Mall one-way for cars going towards the city centre would make sense and bring a bit of life back to the street. Anyway, I have lots of other points but I risk coming across as a bore so i'll shut up now! In general my wife and I (who's not from Sligo) had a nice time there - some good grub in The Glasshouse and Tobergal Lane Cafe - so hopefully if the Corpo and local businesses get their act together then things will start to improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Sligo as a town is OK I suppose but its public figures leave a lot to be desired. Can anyone remember a programme called 'Halls Pictorial Weekly' that used to be on RTE in the seventies and in particular 'The Ballymagash Urban Dstrict Council' ? Disturbing when you compare them eh?

• Advertisement

Jabby wrote: »
    Sligo as a town is OK I suppose but its public figures leave a lot to be desired. Can anyone remember a programme called 'Halls Pictorial Weekly' that used to be on RTE in the seventies and in particular 'The Ballymagash Urban Dstrict Council' ? Disturbing when you compare them eh?
    I don't! Do tell please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Ballymagash Urban District Council comprised of a bunch of self important egotistical parochial morons concerned only for the parish pump issues of the day. Every time I listen to some of our local public reps on Ocean FM arguing and fighting with each other, they remind me of these guys.
    The worry is though that Ballymagash was comedy, Our Council and corpo are for real!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The first time I heard Ocean FM when I moved to Sligo, I actually though it was a parody. No kiddin - I was laughing thru the death notices until my girlfriend told me that it wasn't supposed to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The first time I heard Ocean FM when I moved to Sligo, I actually though it was a parody. No kiddin - I was laughing thru the death notices until my girlfriend told me that it wasn't supposed to be funny.

Is there anything you don't find pathetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Aine Chambers would get it.

AineChambers2m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

My poor eyes! :(

takola wrote: »
    My poor eyes! :(

Sligozone1.jpg

Where's muffler when you need him! Bannings need to be handed out here! :p

Where's muffler when you need him! Bannings need to be handed out here! :p

Aine is the Sligo tourism bunny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Aine is the Sligo tourism bunny

Even Aine has given up with the Aine thing. Let it die man, let it die. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

sueme wrote: »
    Even Aine has given up with the Aine thing. Let it die man, let it die. :o

Since when!?

(I've just checked and ainechambers.net is no longer up... what will I bring up when Mr Xiney makes fun of me for Celine Dion now? I suppose Westlife will have to do...)

Xiney wrote: »
    (I've just checked and ainechambers.net is no longer up... what will I bring up when Mr Xiney makes fun of me for Celine Dion now? I suppose Westlife will have to do...)

Maybe all the perv's I mean fans were too much for her! :D

That is below the belt! Westlife aren't quite as shameful! :o

Maybe all the perv's I mean fans were too much for her! :D

That is below the belt! Westlife aren't quite as shameful! :o

Aine was a great advertisment for the county. Such an elegant and somewhat sensual foxy irish woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Aine was a great advertisment for the county. Such an elegant and somewhat sensual foxy irish woman.

Should have gone to Specsavers:D

magnumlady wrote: »
    Should have gone to Specsavers:D

She's got a great personality, savage legs and nice boobs.
    What more could a guy possible get :)

She's got a great personality, savage legs and nice boobs.
    What more could a guy possible get :)

Please.. Feel free to come and take her to Limerick! :D

Please.. Feel free to come and take her to Limerick! :D

You sir are a liar if you say that you wouldnt give her one.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Enough with the Aine chit-chat... back on topic!

I have only been through the town on one occasion on my way to Bundoran.
    On first impressions it looked nice.

• Advertisement

I have only been through the town on one occasion on my way to Bundoran.
    On first impressions it looked nice.

It is! It's lovely. Alot nicer than Limerick anyway! :p

And I am a wimmin. In case the avatar doesn't give that away! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement